World Cup Viewing in SAN DIEGO

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by maverick, Jun 6, 2006.

1. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Join me on Monday to cheer on the U.S. against the Czechs! (Okay, maybe you want to see some other games, as well... they are showing pretty much every one.) I just moved to San Diego from New York City, so I'm pleased to find a place where I can meet like-minded USMNT fans. If you're planning on coming, drop a reply in this thread. The more the merrier.

The Linkery
    3382 30th St
    in North Park
    San Diego CA USA

619 255 8778

Opening Early for Most World Cup Games! Check schedule below...

http://www.thelinkery.com/

2. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    An email I just got from the place confirmed that everything is a go! Hopefully we can get a whole group of USMNT fans...

To: Marcus Klebe <mklebe@hotmail.com>
    Subject: Re: World Cup broadcasts - U.S. games
    Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:42:59 -0700

Yes, we will absolutely be open and serving and drinking coffee for the US games. Beer and wine too, and sausages to eat at the very least. Maybe a few more things if we're feeling ambitious. (Our full kitchen opens at noon).

I've been getting a lot of email from people who say they're going to come in, so we're bracing for a pretty good crowd. Of course, we'll see if they really wake up and make it in!

See you there -
    Jay

3. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    FYI, for those interested:

I went this morning to watch the first half of the Germany - Costa Rica game (and to scope out the neighborhood, parking, crowd, etc.). I am pleased to report that there were 10+ people there by the half, with more trickling in, all quite knowledgeable and friendly. The TV is hanging over the bar, but even though it's not HD, good quality with a fine soundsystem. Fun place, not hard to park, worth the trip (take Pershing Drive exit off the I-5 and use Map Quest, I'm not your damn navigator ;) ).

Although there are lots of bars showing the games (e.g., in Little Italy), I am definitely going to be there for all the U.S. games - Jay, the owner, says lots of people have RSVP'ed by email, and probably for several others. Jay is a nice guy, and there is plenty of food and drink.

My $0.02 ... Worth the trip, folks!

4. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll be in SD the weekend of the 16-18 to attend my son's graduation. We're in anguish because his grad ceremony is at 2:00 on the day of the US-Italy game. Should we try and watch the first half, then scramble over to the ceremon? Should we tape it, hope no one blurts out the score, and watch it back at his place in the evening? Should we find a place in SD that is showing the replay in the evening?
    Either way, we're looking for a place with atmosphere to watch the Sunday (18th) games. If you, or anyone else, know of any other places, please advise.

5. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this place do they have a 'good soundsystem' meaning TV volume or music volume?

6. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    I mean TV volume... there's no music competing with the games!

Hey, the place is showing pretty much ALL the games... follow the link. But any sports bar that is open is probably showing the matches. I also wouldn't count on not getting the score to the U.S.-Italy match from SOMEWHERE. Good luck with that. :cool:

7. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be the absolute ONLY positive thing about living in a relatively non-soccer culture: chances of hearing the results of a match, in progress or already played--10% or lower. :rolleyes:

Anyway, is the place you suggested, The Linkery, the tops, or other sports bars in SD a better location? I really don't know the SD area.

Thanks.

8. carlsbad_soccer

carlsbad_soccer New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Carlsbad, CA
    I think I posted a reply in the wrong thread earlier today...so sorry if you are reading the same message i posted elsewhere.
    We are looking for a place (sports bar, pub, whatever) in North County San Diego. I'd love to hit the linkery, but i have to drive to LA right after the US game monday.
    Anybody know of a good place, preferably closer to the coast, that's realiable for showing matches? we've had some trouble in the past with friendlies and places saying they were definitely showing it, then the TV didn't even get the channel.
    Thanks for any info
    jon

9. samuraiblues2006

May 9, 2006
    So Cal
    Hi all,
    Just thought I'd share some info here too. I e-mailed Seau's Restaurant in Mission Valley (it's inside the Mission Valley mall) and got a following reply from the management. (Please don't ask why Sweden.. I asked if they'll open early for the US games!!) For those who live near Mission/ Fashion Valley-- this might be an option? Below is a copy of an e-mail from Seau's management.

"We'll be showing all the games starting at 9:00...............
    Go Sweden!!!!
    Mgt"

I also e-mailed a couple of bars/ restaurants for world cup viewings and will post their replies when I get them.

10. I went there for the Germany game...The manger was Swedish.
    It was cool, lots of room. The only thing is they open at 8:30 or so.
    That means if you want to catch the first game then your out of luck.
    I know the princess pub and oggys in carmel valley will be showing games

11. samuraiblues2006

May 9, 2006
    So Cal
    Where will all the USA fans in San Diego be watching the USA- Italy game on Sat? The Linkery? Seau's? Or some other bars? I'd like to meet other USA fans and watch the game.

12. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At any point in time these last two weeks, has anyone, writing for the SD Union, printed any kind of list of restaurants/sports bars/viewing locations for the WC matches?