World Cup Travel - Visa for U.S. Citizens

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Lebowski, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It is not coming up as received. However, I sent it 2 weeks ago, & I only tried to check on the website today. Very worrisome that my application has been lost & along with it my wife's and my passports

2. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Make sure you put the right name. This sounds silly, but I kept searching for my name without my middle name. Once I put my middle name up, it went to that screen. Also, when did you print of the application for the visa? That application can expire. It has a month duration.

3. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Atlanta Consulate application lit up as received for about 2.5 weeks. Then it disappeared completely, i.e. "no application found"

2 days later my USPS tracking number started tracking

ChelseaMatt repped this.
  4. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. My application would expire in the next week

5. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for giving me hope. Hope I have the same result

6. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Did anyone else notice this BEFORE they sent it to the consulate? Or can this thing only occur after they have received it?

[​IMG]

I just have a hard time believing this happened today. I overnighted by passport and application yesterday so they would have received my VISA today, but supposedly they are striking.

I didn't check to see if my red light for received application on the site was there when I made the application if that makes sense.

7. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    Uff! Sorry to hear about this but not all hope is lost. Here are my two cents, offered solely for discussion purposes and not intended as any definitive advice:

I would not hesitate and would head to Atlanta once you are sure your application has been lost to see if you can exert some pressure, as respectfully as possible, for them to look for it. I would also make an appointment with the nearest passport office to apply for new passports with an expedited application. Be sure to take all evidence that you have to show the money you have spent on the trip to demonstrate the emergency situation involved and why you need new passports ASAP. The key, however, is that you have to be sure the passports have indeed been lost because if you report them lost it is my understanding that they are deactivated/flagged. So, if they turn up, and you have reported them lost, you are back to square one. I'm not positive about this but it would be worth a call to the passport office. I have known colleagues who have obtained new passports in under a week for emergencies.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah don't try to use a passport that's been reported lost. I think that should be obvious but I know a girl who tried it in Italy. :thumbsdown:

9. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Yes, I'm planning on driving down to Atlanta on Friday to try to sort this out. The expedited passport thing will have to ensue VERY soon after that to have any hope of getting to Brazil

10. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My application expires May 16th. Can't believe nearly a month later, this hasn't been sorted out

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They offer passport appointments, they have a passport center in Atlanta, specifically for people who need a passport for travel in two weeks or less or a visa in four weeks or less. I would say even if Friday you find out that your passport disappeared, you can make an appointment and have a passport in a week, go back to Atlanta for a in person appointment and still have your visa before June 12th or whenever you might leave.

12. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I looked up my application by number & clicked on locate & update, and received the message "REQUEST UNDER EVALUATION. NO UPDATE ALLOWED AT THIS TIME." Don't know if that's a good sign or not

13. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, when I try to locate VISA, I get "THERE IS NO NEW APPLICATION PENDING." Wish I'd been checking this website all along to see if there was ever a response and now it's just been kicked out of the system

14. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my God. I don't believe this. After worrying about this all night, just received text notification "USPS xxxxxxx Processed thru Facility 05/13/2014 11:59pm ATLANTA GA 30320 Reply HELP 4 help-STOP to cancel"
    Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts & prayers. So very thankful. I can now return to being excited about Brazil -- hopefully my application didn't get rejected, but at least I have no reason to believe my passports are lost. Again, thank you so much everybody. Sincere thanks for your advice & support!!!!

15. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I created a bogus application to see if it would still show up as "received" on the VISA CHECK. Sadly, it did show up as received. So I got my hopes up for nothing. :(

16. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I'm rooting for you. Thanks for rooting for me.

17. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Haha. It will work out one way or another.

18. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Matt- good to hear that your visa is (hopefully) on its way. :)

ChelseaMatt repped this.
  19. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sincere thanks for your advice & support

20. tmello56

tmello56 New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Anyone been to the SF consulate recently? Just looking for an estimate on visa processing time. I go next Wednesday, May 21st (earliest appointment I could get a couple weeks ago) to apply for my visa. I'm leaving June 12th so it's basically 3 weeks from the day i leave and I'm just a little nervous I might be cutting it too close.

21. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi guys, I wanted to mention to US travelers out there that I'll be in New Orleans, Louisiana next weekend from the evening of the 23rd through mid-day on Memorial Day, the 26th. Besides knowing a couple of y'all on here who live there, I figured I might not be the only one going down there for the holiday weekend.

If you happen to be making the same trip for the holiday (or live in the area), it would be great to meet up and talk Brazil travel planning and World Cup football over the long weekend. There are obviously a ton of great places we could hang and chat, and I'd be happy to coordinate a time and place. If you'll be around, let me know and I'll make it happen. (cross-posting on a few US-heavy threads)

22. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My tickets arrived today via DHL and there was no "certificate", but I would think that there is enough proof with the enclosed letter.

23. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the mythical "certificate" is something that people who are picking up their tickets in Brazil are supposed to receive, to stand in for proof of purchase of tickets.

24. sethuel1

sethuel1 Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, if you're getting your tickets shipped to you, you'll need to send one in with your visa application to get the free visa

25. Panda970606

Panda970606 New Member

May 12, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thank you. Did you have to take all tickets or just 1 game. No itinerary or hotel info? Appreciate the response.