World Cup Travel - Visa for U.S. Citizens

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Lebowski, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I live in Kansas, so I must use the services of the Brazilian consulate in Houston. Unfortunately, they do not take applications via USPS, so I must either appear in person or use an affiliated agency. Most of the agencies listed look very mom-and-pop.

Recommendations for a Houston agency would be most welcome.

2. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    I read that during world cup the visa requirements would be waived.

3. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
  4. bigworm

bigworm Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, no recommendations. That sucks that Houston won't process by mail, such a pain.

Partial threadjack, but has anyone gotten their Visa yet? I'm ready to send mine off to Atlanta, but I'm unsure what the consulate wants for "proof of purchase of an entry ticket valid for any FIFA World Cup match". I would assume that a printout of the FIFA ticketing website showing my matches would be acceptable, but don't really want to chance it. Tried to call and email the consulate with no reply.

5. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was thinking of doing a screen-shot showing that I had paid in-full. Included in the screen shot will be my wife's name, since she is my guest.

The Houston consulate states that they only accept applications up to 4 months in advance, so I have a month or so before I can submit my request.

6. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    We 've used a service called Visa Central CIBT in the past. They make it a pretty easy process but it's not cheap.

7. soccerbum555

soccerbum555 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Has anyone tried to apply to the Consulate in New York for a Visa?.... Their website says that you cannot apply by mail, you have to apply in person at the Consulate.

8. Dan17

Dan17 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Has anyone ever used Travisa? It's a site that handles all visas for you, and you're able to mail your documents to them and they send you a visa in return...The Brazil embassy in NY looks like it's a disaster trying to get everything together and go to actual embassy

9. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    I've done it before but it was like 7 or 8 years ago. The main pain is that you have to pay by US Postal Service money order (assuming you have to pay, I understand they are supposed to waive the fee if you're going to a game at the world cup), and also that you won't get it back on the same day. The website says that you don't have to bring in your passport yourself, i.e. a friend or family member can do it for you. You also don't have to pick it up yourself. Whenever you (or your friend or family member) drop it off, you get a receipt that tells you when to come back and pick it up. Your friend or family member can pick it up with that receipt.

10. LANYCJL

LANYCJL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I dropped off my application in person at the NY C consulate on Dec 23rd. For proof of ticketing, I included a screenshot of the Fifa ticketing website showing my request being fulfilled, a printout of my bank account being charged the same amount, and the emails that Fifa sent me confirming that i had won the lottery.

The person at the counter asked me for actual tickets, and i had to repeat to him multiple times that the website only required PROOF of ticketing. He finally accepted my package after arguing for a few minutes on what was on the website instructions. I'm supposed to go pick up my passport and visa on Jan 16th. Hopefully will have no problems.

11. LANYCJL

LANYCJL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Was successful with my application. Have my visa.

wixson7 repped this.
  12. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LANYCJL - was bkn0528 correct in his understanding that the NY Consulate is waiving the $160 fee, or did you have to pay it?

13. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking into the visa situation too, and obviously the way to go is to get a ticket and get the special World Cup visa and save the money.

For Dan17, I have used travisa.com several times for business travel to Vietnam. I used their San Francisco office, and they were TERRIFIC. Using FEDEX, I had my visas back in less than 48 hours, as they walked them thru for our team of 15 with no errors. And Vietnam is a lot harder as we were there for official business and we needed official invitation letters, etc. Their prices are really low, I don't really understand how they make money.

I am in no way affiliated with them, just passing along my positive experience for our 2 large groups. Because we were in a short fuse/crisis situation, I talked with them on the phone and they were knowledgable, helpful and efficient. For Brazil, I have to use the LA office and I have no idea if they are as good. But my plans are to use them again.

Again, I have no affiliation with them and don't even know anyone who works for them, just passing along my good experience.

14. LANYCJL

LANYCJL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    correct...no fee paid

15. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Absolut Fire

Absolut Fire Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @LANYCJL Does your World Cup visa say when the visa expires? Or does it note that is only for the World Cup period? I heard the regular tourist visa last 10 years so I was planning on just paying for a regular tourist visa so I can visit Brazil again anytime in the next 10 years.

17. itllgrowback

itllgrowback Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mind if I ask what the fee is? $25 or so?

18. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, exactly $25. But of course you pay the FEDEX charges. Their web site is really good even if you don't use them, they list all the requirements. For me living in San Diego, it's easily worth $25 plus FEDEX for me to not have to take a full day off and drive up to LA, find the Consulate, figure out what the heck I'm doing, wait in lines ,and then fight OC/SD traffic coming home. Easily it's a full day ordeal.

again I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company and I have only dealt with their SF office which was great the two times I used them.

itllgrowback repped this.
  19. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. LANYCJL

LANYCJL New Member

Nov 7, 2013
  21. itllgrowback

itllgrowback Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #21 itllgrowback, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    I'm using travisa.com and it's looking like $25 in consular fees plus $70 in "Visa Service Fee". Anyone know if that's to be expected?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't expect you to have to pay any Consulate fees, itllgrowback. The discussion immediately above your post refers to the New York Consulate, but it is my understanding that it's Brazil's policy (versus the various consulates in the US) to not impose a Visa fee for those traveling there for the World Cup. I'd double check the appropriate Consulate's website.

23. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would give them a call or send an e-mail and ask them, they were always responsive with me. That seems steep. My memory might be off (it was 2 years ago) but I don't recall paying that much, but then again I was able to expense it so it wasn't such a big deal.

For me it would still be worth it when it comes time to do this to not waste a day but it would be nice if it were cheaper. Please let us know though.

24. itllgrowback

itllgrowback Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's my understanding, when you take your documents to the consulate yourself - they make it clear that there are no fees for the Special Visa. However, the service is definitely charging me for them, even with the correct options selected.

I'm not a fan of paying $100 for something that's free - but opportunity costs are a sombitch. For me to schedule an appointment (no walk-ins allowed) and get myself to downtown LA from Phoenix to drop the thing off, then wait a week or more before being able to pick it back up... $25 sounds pretty darn good (but $100 feels a bit rude).

I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks fellas.

25. itllgrowback

itllgrowback Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OK, well after talking to Rick at travisa, I decided to look around some more. Their total was still just shy of $100, before shipping. He admitted that there shouldn't be a Consular fee, but then said there must be after all, because he couldn't remove it.

I talked to Todd Kaplan at mybrazilvisa.com and decided to go that route. $50 service fee, no consular fees, $16 for 2-day FedEx, and his office is in the same building as the Brazilian Consulate in LA. (But that brings up an important point - he only offers the service for those people who live in states served by the Los Angeles Consulate).

Your mileage may vary, and I don't mean to dissuade anyone - just offering another option I found that worked for me.