World Cup Travel - Rio de Janeiro

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by PabloSanDiego, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Blaine123

Blaine123 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Is anybody driving from rio to belo for semi final and has a couple of spare seats?

Need to work out a way to get to belo and would happily pay your fuel costs if you could help!

Many thanks,
    Blaine

2. david stephen

david stephen New Member

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    ljpdb repped this.
  3. thnikkamax

thnikkamax New Member

May 19, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys & Gals, my apologies for forgetting to come back here and see if anyone wants to be added to the Whatsapp group for this thread. The app chose me as the admin after the original admin (Ivan_pfc) left the Whatsapp group. Please PM me your number if you would like to be added. There are currently 12 spots open out of 50.

4. ianpbailey

ianpbailey New Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Burlington, VT
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone partying in Rio tonight? I'm just here for one night, I know it's Monday, where should I go?

5. tabar

tabar Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Go to Lapa area - always a party. Just ask cab to take you to Lapa and be dropped off in front of Carioca da Gema (great place). You'll see lots of bars and people just drinking and hanging out in the streets.

paulalanr repped this.
  6. Blaine123

Blaine123 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Hi, had anybody been to brahma arena at morro da urca to watch Brazil games?

Would you recommend it and do you know how much entry is?

Many thanks,
    Blaine

7. tRucHo-

tRucHo- Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    They still show game at fanfest if it rains?

8. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This cannot be repeated enough. solid, solid advice.

An alternate plan is the bars at the top of Santa Teresa, near Bar do Mineiro. There are a couple always open laaate. It's smaller and less packed than Lapa, but still cool stuff to do.

9. thnikkamax

thnikkamax New Member

May 19, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When sending me your whatsapp numbers please let me know a first name. I have to add you as a contact and would be nice to refer to you by name in the group. Unless you like being referred to by your screenname.. fine with us! :)

10. mdesigner

mdesigner Member

May 5, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Guys I know this was already mentioned but despite being careful in big crowds, I had my new iPhone stolen. The thief cut through my bag with a knife and took it out without me noticing. This happened when I was entering the fanfest and it was insanely crowded. Very unfortunate. These guys will do anything to get their hands on an iPhone, I heard it costs about $2000 reals here. I am glad to be safe though.

11. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too little too late I know, but I highly recommend this line of bags:

http://www.pacsafe.com/

For all the amazing security features you get with these, they're really very fairly priced. I carried a lot of valuable things around with me in Brazil, sometimes in massive crowds, often on crowded buses and subways, sometimes in slightly sketchy areas, and I was *never* nervous or concerned in the least about things getting stolen from my bag.

12. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Want to get an old fashioned style Brasil coloured shirt with the B9otafogo star on it. Seen a few around. Don´t sell them in the official shop next to the ticketing centre.

Any ideas?

13. Rominger

Rominger Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ken,

Go to Liga Retro (address stores here http://www.ligaretro.com.br/?acao=PG&pag=Ins1096.html&orig=gooxml, not difficult to see where they are), they might have it or know where to find it.

14. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    If you are visiting Rio for the first time, or if you live here and have not yet done it. You really need to do the Complex do Alemao cable car. Easily the best thing that I have done in Brasil, and that includes all the beaches, bars & football. I hate to call it a tourist attraction as it is just a way for people to get to and from their homes. But the views it gives, in my opinon, puts it in the top five tourist "must do" things worldwide. For me way better than eg Pyramids, London Eye, Empire State, Golden Gate and on a par with Niagra Falls, Taj Mahal, Kowloon Bay & Grand Canyon. It really is that good.

Get a train from Centro do Brasil, platform 12, to Bon Successo. Take the elevator up to the cable car station. The integrated price is R$3.20, which for a ride of this magnitude is amazing. It´s about R$12 to return by cable car/train & metro.

Lucas... and mdesigner repped this.
  15. Leica

Leica Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow.. That sucks!!

16. NikK2014

NikK2014 Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Can anyone recommend where to watch the final in Rio if I dont get tickets? Besides the Fan fest, I want to take my 2 young kids and wife and since Im Argentinian, would like to not be a 100% Brazil crowd. An Argentine restaurant? A big screen with international tourists? I heard even a cinema? Please give me your opinion as to the best place, thanks all!

17. Rominger

Rominger Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Movie theater is a good idea. 15 reais each.

18. mdesigner

mdesigner Member

May 5, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thank you soo much for this awesome recommendation!! We went to this cable car ride and wow, it is too good! We were going to see Christ Redeemer but lines were looking too long so we decided to explore a different area. What amazing views and the amount of favelas is just insane!! We got off after the last cable car and got to watch some pick up soccer played by guys atop a mountain by the favelas. There were even some horses standing around the area. Also a small exhibition inside with some interesting photographs of the area. Thanks again, loved this spot and would recommend to all! I think this is a fairly new ride because I did not see many tourists at all, mostly locals.