World Cup Qualifying Seedings

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Eliezar, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I read this week that qualifying schedule would be drawn in November.

My question is who is going to get seeded where?

Obviously you have the US and Mexico that will be in the top seedings (so that they cannot meet in the semifinal round).

What format is going to be used for seedings? 1-3, 4-6, 7-12? And will the seedings be worked out for round 2 before or after the home and away elimination round (assuming that one happens again).

Who will the top 6 seeds be?

US and Mexico are locks (top 3)
    Costa Rica advanced this Gold Cup and made the World Cup (top 3?)

Panama made the hex, made the previous Gold Cup final, and advanced in this Gold Cup (top 6)
    Guatemala made the hex, advanced this Gold Cup (top 6)

T&T went to the World Cup, but lost out in the first round in the Gold Cup (Borderline top 6 or 7-12)

Canada made the semis this Gold Cup, last in their semifinal bracket last WCQ (7-12)
    Honduras advanced this Gold Cup, 3rd in their semifinal bracket last WCQ (7-12)

I'm not sure of the format or the seeding formula, but I would find it hard for anybody that made the last Hex other than T&T to not be seeded for World Cup Qualifying. I could only see Canada or Honduras beating them out.

So how is this going to work and who is going to get seeded where? I'm pretty much thinking that if there is a (7-12) pot that is going to be awful if two of the teams from above both go into the same bracket.

2. epheifer

epheifer Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have read that CONCACAF will use the same format as last time around. If this is true, the placing of teams into the pots will be pretty straightforward.

Pot A-Automatic Qualifiers to World Cup(Top 3 in Hex)
    U.S., Mexico and Costa Rica

Pot B-Teams that made Hex that finished 4th-6th
    T&T, Guatemala Panama

Pot C-Teams that were knocked out in Semifinal round
    Jamaica, El Salvador, Canada, Honduras, St. Vincent and St. Kitts

The rest of the teams will prolly be drawn against each other in a first round home and home series with the winners meeting a team from Pot A, B or C in another home and home series.

So barring upsets each semifinal group would contain one team from pot A, one from pot B and two from pot C. It is left to those teams that didn't make the semis last time to cause an "upset" in order to be seeded for future Qualifiers.

Last time the first round teams were split up based on Fifa rankings. The top half went into one pot and the bottom half went into the other.

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its funny, but the 2 teams I would most want to avoid aren't in pot b but pot c. Ouch if you get Canada and Honduras like Costa Rica did on 06.

4. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the US or Mexico ends up in a semifinal group of Panama, Canada, and Honduras, either is in serious jeopardy of not even seeing the hex.

5. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't worry about it, our good friend Jack will find a way to avoid that. He always does.

6. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    That was brutal CR, Canada, Honduras and Guatemala in one group, playing in that group was harder than playing the Hex.

7. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By far!

I hope the teams are better spread this time.

8. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hopefully (but of course they won't), they'll separate the top 3 from the bottom 3 using FIFA rankings or GC performance or something.

If they don't, expect another joke group àla T&T/Mex 2006.

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    The World Cup Qualifying group draw will be the Sunday after Thanksgiving here in the States. November 25th I saw on the FIFA website in their World Cup Section. It was suppose to be the 23rd right after Thanksgiving, but I guess they decided to push it back two days.

Well I can't wait for that to happen. :D

10. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly cause Jamaica and Honduras did not show up in the Semifinal Round.

Based on whatever the draw turns out to be, I think the knives are out for the B-pot teams when it comes to who makes the Hex. Panama and Guatemala are flawed and the only way T&T makes the Hex in 2009 with the guys at Gold Cup is if they draw St. Vincent & St. Kitts again. That is a 2-in-30 chance, or 6.7%. We always think Jack Warner rigs things, but he can't keep an argument for legitimacy if his national team wins a 6.7% chance two cycles in a row.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your succinct and accurate description of the qualifying process leads me to conclude, once again, that our qualifying system is fundamentally broken.

12. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Lets not forget Mexico mysteriously losing its second leg qualifying game to Trinidad, and then mysteriously getting seeded over Holland and the Czech Republic in WC 2006.

Anyway, the three shoe-ins should be the USA, Mexico, and Canada, and a toss-up between Costa Rica(not a shoe-in like before), Panama, and Honduras.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The 2006 seed wasn't mysterious.

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither was the loss to T&T really... :D

15. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    Steupppss......

16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching it. It was a great game. Good atmosphere from the trini crowd.