World Cup Qualifiers: Italy vs Sweden (play-off)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by forza_azzurri, Oct 17, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The depth Italy's CT's had had from 2000-2006 was incredible and nowhere near anything what is available now. Everyone forgets that Christian Panucci should have definitely been on that 2006 team. He was another defender who could easily score a goal at anytime. Lippi went on saying he never hold grudges but he certainly did with him. He was one of the reasons Italy qualified for first place over France for the Euro 2008 qualifying as he scored the game winner over Scotland in the 91st minute.

Rosay repped this.
  2. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The 94-04 era should've won multiple cups based on talent. But the distribution was bad. All the stars were either defenders or in attack. Throw in a Pirlo or Xavi into the mix and it would've been murder. But guys like Baggio, Delpiero, Vieri, Zola, Totti, Inzaghi etc never got the same service they were used to at club level.

world soccer magazines repped this.
  3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had more than a few questionable challenges/exchanges. He was a goon, but I think everyone knew it was his role and not personal. Who knows though. We catch wind of every little thing nowadays because we milennials can't shut up. That generation didn't air nearly as much dirty laundry.

Maybe Ibra and Sorin, to name a few victims, didn't care for him.

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan

It's true, only because you believe it to be true, is that correct? :)

You didn't answer this before, maybe you can now.

Where are the Maldini's, Baresi's, Costacurta's, Ferrara's, Bergomi's, Nesta's, Cannavaro's, Thuram, Desailly, even Cafu's and Aldair for Brazil? I can go on and on. You got David Luis back there and say that defenders are getting better, or are as good as the previous generations? Players got better, defenders stayed the same.

You just want to believe that to be true and you're saying that not ever having witnessed the 90's.

Players are a bit faster on average overall, and in a more open environment, which is the agenda at club level. Wait till knockouts and now teams bunker without any style. It's embarrassing.

Not rocket science to figure out either.

5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the correlation is there.

Also, the clubs might make most of their money from live domestic TV contract - although I note there is no contract in place yet for the 2018-21 cycle, which is strange because broadcasting rights are usually sold over a year beforehand - but it is insufficient, especially when clubs in Germany, England and Spain have higher revenues based on better stadium income, and better sponsorship deals and merchandising operations. Also the TV deals in England and Spain are significantly higher than Serie A's.

I think that whatever talent Italy produces won't realise its full potential all the time the game is so poorly run.

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They do a good job blocking TV deals for Serie A too, not that it's all their fault since the broadcasting quality, save or Sky Sport Italia, is so boring. Rai sucks with their SD broadcasts and boring broadcasters. The game itself is good quality, the administrative end needs a complete enema cleansing.

calabrese8 and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  7. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Yeah Rai is garbage. One of the commentators butchers the Italian language every week and the panel got rid of the only hot chick they had. Just poor quality overall.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Living in the USA, Rai Italia (or formerly Rai International) broadcasters give you the best analysis. At least as opposed to listening to or watching the same games on Bein. When I lived in Italy I remember Sky Sport Italia gave better and more in depth play by play but they were never as great a sound quality as EPL games are on NBC. Enrico Varriale for a while, was an outcast for most coaches. Now they have Roberto Rambaudi but I use to like Vincenzo D'amico. Sara Tardelli, Marco's daughter was smart but she is gone but not sure why. I think she wrote a book on her dad.

9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #1834 Calcio Pauly, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Sky is the way Rai needs to go.

like this

No need for mediocre broadcasting when promoting your product.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Jesus MDS scored a rocket

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Poor Italian version of a Mexican broadcaster. I like the RAI guys. Just describe what is happening on the pitch. No need for bullshit or screaming. The fools on beIN think they know about the game. They do not.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When Fox soccer broadcasted the games , it was even worse.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I know the RAI announcers are rather mundane but I like that. I don't want their opinion, I only want to know who has the ball at his feet, who scored, who blocked the shot, etc. Let me watch the game. I am opinionated enough on my own. I do not need to here someone else during the match, especially when they have no clue what they are saying or act as if they do. The worst is Phil Schoen of beIN. I have switched channels if he is on or gone to the Spanish version.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you understand Italian , Rai actually gives a more in depth analysis of what’s going on with players or what went on through the week. English language broadcasters don’t have the same type of knowledge about teams and players.

calabrese8 repped this.
  15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They're absolutely the worse. Full of clichés and negative stereotypes, smug and gleeful to denigrate Italian football at whatever hint they can. And we wonder why the local fans who know nothing about the game at any depth, parrot the same things.

I'm not speaking about my personal preference. I can take both. Caressa style of broadcasting is more animated and that's better for selling games to the beer drinking fans, which will increase Serie A's reach into the English speaking cultures.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly why there is this EPL hero worship as opposed to the Serie A. Especially with north american fans....

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But is he not speaking Italian? Who gives a damn about English speaking cultures? I find the animation fake, very American or Mexican like. I could care less for it. Then again, I have stopped following US sports and that may be some of the reason for it.

18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Broadcast quality. RAI's needs to improve. Personally I like Caressa, he's knowledgeable enough with less detail. The whole package from Sky is just overall better IMO.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can you get the Sky in the Italian language in the USA? I tried looking into it when I moved back from Italy about ten years ago and at that time you couldn't.

20. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IPTV through Kodi.

ghostshader addon

Gets me all the Sky and Mediaset channels.

falvo repped this.
  21. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Watching games on rai makes Italy look like it’s in a constant fog or there’s a forest fire nearby. Video quality definitely needs to improve.

gumbacicc and calabrese8 repped this.
  22. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    RAI is HD everywhere but here. RAI international is out of NY and for some reason they've refused to switch over.

The other night I installed and used the RAI Replay app and all the content was HD but a lot is geoblocked even thought I was on a VPN with and Italian IP. I think it might have checked GooglePlay services for my location. Not sure...

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Group D is extremely tough: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, and Nigeria. Seriously none of those teams are to be underestimated.

Croatia is one of the best teams in the world. They are the strongest they have ever been, even more than 1998 World Cup. With three world class players: Modric, Rakitic, and Mandzukic. Perisic, Vida, and Corluka are underrated players and they work so hard. Vrsaljko, Rog, and Pjaca also look like very promising players in years to come. They have a talented bench as well with Badelj, Kramaric, Kalinic, Brozovic, Kovacic, etc. I feel like people are writing this team off, and its insane what I am seeing. All they need is consistency and they can be a candidate to win this whole thing. They are also managed better than most other national teams. Always have a game plan, and always know how to exploit their tactics very well. In fact the team has really underperformed in past tournaments.

Argentina while hasn't been looking so great, you can never write off a team with Messi, Di Maria, Dybala, Icardi, etc. They are probably same level as Brazil 2014. Not great, but still a threat.

Iceland is on the rise and really know how to work well as a team. For Goodness sake they topped the qualifying group of death. Croatia was inconsistent which is why they topped it, but Ukraine and Turkey are also decent teams that have some really good players. Finland is also getting better and isn't a team to be underestimated.

Nigeria is probably the best team in Africa, and while African teams are not that good right now, Nigeria is probably the best one out of them and do have a few players that play in Europe: Ibennachio, Moses, and Mikel. Well Mikel used to play in Europe.

I do think Croatia and Argentina will advance, but you cannot write of Iceland and Nigeria. Iceland especially might be able to cause in upset. If Argentina don't step their game up, they can easily be embarrassed.

25. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    That's a big statement. I disagree.