World Cup Qualifiers: Italy vs Sweden (play-off)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by forza_azzurri, Oct 17, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok so 9 months......that is a long time in international football. Even if you hire a coach now, what is he going to do? Oversee all the youth teams? I doubt the FIGC will care about that right now. They might hire an interim coach though.....,

Unless the federation decides to pay him 4 million euro which Bayern is paying him....

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah very true, we can at least wait until the summer. We might have a few friendlies in march, but those games are not that important.

Wait a minute though, I did read a rumor earlier today that Peru could be banned from the tournament during a law, and we could take their place. If that happens we will need one sooner, preferably by March because we will need to use those friendlies to regroup. Anyway thats only a 20% chance it will happen. I doubt Peru will get suspended.

falvo repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remembered thinking today how Denmark made Euro 92 because Yugoslavia was at war. They ended up winning the tournament and didn't even qualify. If that happens to Italy, it would be great but I'm thinking next in line in after Peru would get the spot. Isn't that New Zealand? The team they beat in the playoff?

4. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not very likely ..dont hold your breath kid

5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They'll likely get a lot of calls for World Cup warm up friendlies in May/June and the March ones. Might as well have someone in place to put a plan together for the team they'll take to the losers tournament, hopefully to gain experience, in advance of this League of Nations.

Fifa is proposed a world league of nations as well. This will result in more competitive games and fewer friendlies.

Deleted User x repped this.
  6. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Ive never been to Italy so i dont the history all too well. My dad lived in Milan for a few years but we never talk really, all i know is from books and stuff I seeked out on my own.

7. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    All future games should be held in regard as being important, They should take the New England Patriot model and demand 100 percent effort and efficiency in all games, even friendlies.

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan

Verratti detractors, come forward.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  9. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    He does very well on a team with a large supporting cast. He and Insigne could have a lot of good highlights in the future.

They are going to be a very scary team to face in the CL.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1760 falvo, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    I wonder though. Usually WC teams lineup other teams similar to the way their first round opponents play. Italy never really plays like other nations that I recall. I mean they don't have the style of the English, Brazilian, Portuguese , Russians, Argentine's, any South American team and certainly not like the Germans.

Also, WC teams like to play easier teams in warmups to gain confidence and rhythm and Italy could very well be out for blood. Especially since Italians have nothing to lose. I for one wouldn't want to face injury or losing badly if I'm about to play in a WC tournament.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well thats what I would think, either New Zealand or Chile maybe, but rumors say Italy could be in contention. Maybe there could be a playoff between a few teams in march, I am not sure.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What did Peru do exactly?

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    CR7 better worry about retaining his Golden Ball.

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They have not done anything yet according to the article. Apparently some minister or other in the government wants to put the soccer federation under government control, which is in contradiction to FIFA regulations. If that was to happen, then the Peruvian Federation would be under suspension and not eligible to play in the WC. This may be a scare tactic to keep the government hands off.

Deleted User x repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The way the Italian politicians were talking about Tavecchio and the FIGC on Rai this week, they seemed like they were talking about a government run organization. As a matter of fact, they said Tavecchio can't be fired because he was in a secure position run by CONI which is a branch of the government.

On another political note...Here is Berlusca's take on the elimination....

Silvio Berlusconi: Italy can't blame foreign players for World Cup failure

Ex-AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi: Mediocre foreign players ...

16. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Sarri mentioned the possibility of a part-time manager. I don't see what's so conflicting about appointing someone like him, get him to a pick a No2 that can do the week to week duties (whatever the hell they are) and then take control during international weekends.

The last manager was picked on the advice of Lippi and the 'senatori', so who knows what stupid advice we'll get this time. I'd be more comfortable with a manager that's CURRENTLY doing well. At least the players will respect him.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1767 falvo, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Peru hasn’t been in the WC since 1982. There is no way they will give up the chance to go again. I wouldn’t count on Italy going and I doubt there is even a slight chance they do go. They also don’t deserve to.

A part time coach sounds like a better plan. Most coaches prefer seeing players train daily and there is no longer much lure in coaching the national team 5-7 times a year.

18. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would only include playoff teams. Why would Chile be included ?

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They finished level on points with Peru and were next South American team down.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I still don't see any realistic chance Peru will be excluded. I think it would take a miracle that italia will be "ripescato".

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya Nesta was apparently from a wealthy family and Pirlo too

22. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not holding my breath

23. Hidegkuti78

Hidegkuti78 Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    1) if for whatever reason FIFA should promote a team to qualification, the choice of the team would be at their discretion, and being a powerhouse with millions of fans and the highest ranking would definitely help.

2) however, this whole Peru issue is bogus. No chance they will be eliminated

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with you. The source was not really a credible source anyway.

25. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Only way Italy go to Russia is if Korea go to war with Sweden. Or maybe wallmart attack Ikea.