World Cup Qualifiers: Italy vs Macedonia and Albania

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
  2. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seeded teams

Italy, Portugal/Swiss, Denmark and Croatia

Unseeded

Greece, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Ireland

This is assuming all goes to plan today.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The fact is that Ireland are a very organized team, and are really good at nicking the results they need even if they are getting dominated. I do believe we should beat them, but they are the team I really just don't want to face. The type of team that will cause us problems no matter what.

I am hoping for Greece honestly. Here are the ranks of teams from most want to face to least want to face:

Greece, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Ireland.

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Ventura inspires no confidence that we will get a result against any of our opposition. It's that simple. If we had a real manager, we may have been in the same position because we had Spain in our group. However, I don't think we'd be too worry about a playoff adversary. I can't say that about Ventura, the absolute worst manager I can recall leading the Azzurri in my lifetime.

calabrese8 and forza_azzurri repped this.
  5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Prandelli was way worse. At least Ventura does usually have some game plan. Prandelli was just awful. OMG the way he would just tinker around with formations and tactics was crazy. Half the games I didn't even see a game plan, and he relied on players way too much to find a strategy. He also spent a lot more time on computer and less in training which resulted in a number of players not fit enough and unprepared.

While I am not crazy about Ventura, and do not believe he is the man for this job, I'll admit I would much rather have him than Prandelli.

Our 2014 World Cup performance was unacceptable at all costs. Euro 2012 we made the final, but I believe it was clearly a fluke, as we only won 2 games properly. Drew Spain and Croatia, drew England (snatched win on penalties) (yes we were the better side, but the fact that we could not make any chances count matters), beat Germany which was the only good game I have seen us play under Prandelli, and got humiliated vs Spain. We did have to play a man down for a while but seriously being down 2-0 in the first half in a final is crazy.

I know we lost 3-0 to Spain just last month but at least it was only a qualifying match, we were missing a few players, and it was in Spain as well.

6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We got beat bad by Spain in the final because Prandelli changed formations once again and plus the countless injuries. I wasn't a fan of Prandelli, never was, i was sorta optimistic about Ventura at first but now it's all out the window. At this stage i'll take a Lippi 3.0

7. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Whomever we play will have nothing lose. No WC history with any of those teams and that is scary for us.

8. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nesta for nazionale. He is coaching a Miami side in NASL and actually has them playing decent ball. Former NT player, give it to someone like him. I have had enough of Ventura. If he insists with this 4-2-4 stupidity, he has no business coaching the team.

9. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's sucks that Conte left.

totti fan and gumbacicc repped this.
  10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think we should still be optimistic about Ventura. I mean its the first time we have been scoring a good amount of goals against the small teams. Until the Spain team he seemed to be doing pretty well.

I am not saying he is a good manager or the right man for the job, but the truth is I don't see him going unless we fail to qualify for the World Cup.

I mean look at the bright side: Ventura has have an idea on what he is doing and I wouldn't say he is clueless like people suggest. Again he isn't the best guy for the job, but he at least has some sort of idea on what he is trying to do and tactical plans.

Also keep in mind when Conte was our coach, he was being questioned a lot in qualifying and many of us were extremely worried when we saw the team he fielded. Croatia dominated us at home, and we did draw Bulgaria in Bulgaria. Also grinded out wins to Bulgaria at home and Malta. I don't think we would have beaten Spain at that time if they were in our qualifying group especially in Spain. Up until our first Euro 2016 game, Conte was being so bashed, and many people including me were calling for him to be sacked. I honestly do not think we look worse than we did when Conte was in charge during our qualifying campaign.

We looked amazing in the actual tournament, but seriously we did not look that good in qualifying if you remember.

I also wanted to point out that Macedonia are not a team to be underestimated. They had a great U21 team last year, and keep in mind their U21 team qualified for the U21 Championship over France and Iceland. If their U21 team can make it to the tournament than they are not a rubbish team. Yes we should be beating them, but they aren't as bad as you think. Sometimes teams just have a bad day as well.

Germany and Spain are the only teams that take full points against all weak teams in qualifying. We and most others do drop points at some point. I mean France tied Belarus and Luxembourg, Belgium tied Greece, Croatia dropped a number of points. Portugal and Switzerland were extremely lucky to have an easy group except for each other.

11. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
  12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Obviously after Zlatan retired from the Swedish NT, they don't look all that strong on paper, but like Ireland they are a very well organized and they beat France 2-1 at home in their group (and lost 1-2 away), so I think Ireland probably would be an easier task.... Greece or Northern Ireland would be preferable.

13. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sweden is probably going to do better without someone like Zlatan.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Ireland are the team we want to avoid. Sweden definitely have improved, but are not as good as Ireland. They are losing 2-0 to Netherlands now to point out actually. Anyway they can cause us trouble, but I think we got this if we get Sweden. The way Sweden beat France at home was a EXTREME mistake from Lloris and it was a lucky long shot at the very end. And to tell you the truth I don't think France is stronger than us. Its pretty equal. Germany is the best team in Europe, followed by Spain. Then there is a gap.

Northern Ireland wouldn't be too hard, but they are a defensive team which would make it hard to play against. This is why I am really hoping for Greece.

15. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    I don't want the Greeks or the sides from the UK due to the way that they play, they know the other team will dominate possession and it works to their advantage because they have players who are completely fine with just sitting back.

The Greeks aren't that strong but have solid players up their lineup and if you look at their squad they probably are the strongest from the unseeded. Their defense in particular is pretty good.

Sweden is definitely the easy route and don't bring up the France game, the French historically and presently have always fcuked up stupid games, They tied Luxembourg in France ....

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have watched the Greeks play, and while they might be the strongest on paper, they definitely are not the strongest team in the unseeded. I watched them vs Belgium, and they really looked disorganized and not very comfortable at the back. I don't know where you are getting it from, but at least vs big teams Greece don't look very comfortable sitting back even though they try to do it sometimes. But yeah maybe Sweden might be the way to go.

forza_azzurri repped this.
  18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Ventura, who has us on the cusp of not qualifying for the World Cup, is better than Prandelli who got us to the Final of the Euros with a less-than-stellar side? Right......Prandelli was more accomplished than Ventura both before he took helm of the NT and with the NT. It's not even debatable.

Afghan-Juventus and calabrese8 repped this.
  19. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Against big teams none of the teams in the knockout draw looked good. We looked like a fcuking mess against Spain. I don't know where you are getting it from to think Italy should roll over any team but Italy has scored a grand total of 3 goals in the previous 4 games. Sure 1 game was against Spain, the other 3 were against Israel, Macedonia and Albania. We have a -1 goal differential in our past 4 games.

Ya btw I have watched Greece, and like I said, they`re fine with sitting back and allowing pressure. The ``big team`` in their group was Belgium, they tied 1-1 in Belgium and lost 2-1 at home.

20. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You're nuts if you think we should be optimistic about this guy. He has shown nothing, not before he had the NT, not now, that inspires confidences. That he thought we would get a result playing a 4-2-4 against Spain away was unconscionable. If that doesn't tell you the guy is a buffoon, I don't know what does.

Afghan-Juventus, calabrese8 and Falc repped this.
  21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #196 Ceres, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Sweden is great at sitting back but pretty useless in central midfield, so they do not want to keep possession, but play long ball to their strikers and otherwise rely on their physical advantage, being taller in heading duels, and their quick wing backs to make excellent crosses ... not pretty to watch but usually pretty efficient ... a bit like Iceland ... and then we should not forget that Sweden won the 2015 U-21 Euro Championships and also qualified for the U-21 Group stage in 2017 ... non of the other unseeded teams were able to qualify ... so right now Sweden are more talented for sure ...

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Teamwise ... yes ... but it was Zlatan and only Zlatan who secured their play-off victory against Denmark for Euro-16 ...

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    But you can keep Sweden ... the Danish NT coach want either Northern Ireland or Ireland, which he think would be perfect for Denmark ... the Danish media prefer Greece...

24. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why....so both of you guys can have a chance at qualifying through... again? ;)

kinda like , if one you guys don't make it , then you can root for your other brethren and your other brethren can too vice versa :D

25. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya euro 2004 was absolute bullshit

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.