World Cup Qualifier 1 - Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Poland' started by therealronaldo7, Aug 31, 2004.

1. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    First game of World Cup qualifying begins Saturday in Belfast against Northern Ireland. This is a must win for Poland. There can be no slip ups at all if there are any hopes of making it to Germany in 2006. The game is on PPV, but I was wondering if anyone knew any bars here in Chicago that will be showing the game? Its starts at 9AM Chicago time. Any thoughts on the game or predictions?

2. Marta

Marta New Member

Jul 28, 2004

Polish team is now training in Germany, hope it will work. Supposedly, neither Philip Mulryne nor Chris Baird will play against Poland, because of minor injuries. That's our only chance :p
    And, statistics are on our site- Ireland haven't won any game on their own ground since 2001

3. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Northern Ireland is complete crap. Poland should definitely win this match. Injuries or no injuries, Poland has the better team here. Why is the team practicing in Germany anyways? To get away from potential distractions?

4. Sopot26

Sopot26 New Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Sopot - Chicago
    The regular places will have the game: Wisła Klub, Eagles, Jedynka, and Capitol.

5. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice. I will be there. I can't wait. This is a must win.

6. Marta

Marta New Member

Jul 28, 2004

Today at 4pm polish time the team will play SV Meppen (4th league). Anyway, if you know polish you can check out sport news on http://www.gazeta.pl/0,0.html. Everyday there are some news from the camp. Quite laughable, but quite terrifying. There's still something wrong with their shape... They may win in N.Ireland but still the style is important. Don't know if i want to see this game with England... :eek:

7. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I am glad the team is not starting out against England. That would not be good. Perhaps a win against Northern Ireland will boost the confidence a bit. If that happens, who knows what can happen against England in one weeks time. I will try to read some of the Polish in that link you sent. Thanks a lot. Are people over in Poland excited about the upcoming games or no?

8. Marta

Marta New Member

Jul 28, 2004

Did you see the game against Denmark? If not, that may explain your optimism :)
    Generally. people are interested, but as i said, the match with Denmark cooled down the atmosphere a bit. People know that chances for getting to Germany2006 are slender... Btw, that really is a pitty, it would be great to see polish team on competitions like that at last.

9. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    No, I did not see the match, but I followed it on the internet. It was definitely disheartening to get hammered like that. However, the World Cup Qualifiers are a new day and a new game. I think the chances of them making the World Cup are small, but you never know. I think outside of England they are just as good as anyone in the group. Wales might surprise as well. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the Poland team that played against Denmark is not the same Poland team as the one that plays this weekend against Northern Ireland.

10. Marta

Marta New Member

Jul 28, 2004

Sure, i support my national team and i also will during this qualifications. Recently i'm just rather pessimistic when it comes to polish soccer ;) But, everything is possible.
    Anyway, they won today with Meppen 5:0, but that's not a surprise.
    And it's already certain that on Saturday Zurawski and Wlodarczyk will play in the forwards.
    Tommorow they go to Belfast. We will see... :)

11. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Having Zurawski in at forward is a great. I talked to my friend in Belfast last night (or this morning for him) and he said he is cheering for Poland. Much like the state of politics and religion over there in Northern Ireland the team is divided between religions. Right now the national team of Northern Ireland is heavy with Protestants. It really divides the country. The team does not get much support.
    I hope that game today gave them some confidence. I look for a 2-0 win on Saturday. Also, who is Poland's backup goalkeeper? Is it Kuszczak from West Brom? Will any of the young kids who had a run out against the US here in Chicago be playing in these qualifiers?

12. Marta

Marta New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Squad for N.Ireland and England:

Goalkeepers:

Jerzy Dudek (1973, FC Liverpool, Anglia, 42A),
    Tomasz Kuszczak (1982, West Bromwich Albion, Anglia, 2A),
    Artur Boruc (1980, Legia Warszawa, 4A).

Defenders:

Jacek Bąk (1973, RC Lens, Francja, 53A-2 gole),
    Michał Żewłakow (1976, Anderlecht Bruksela, Belgia, 41A-1 gol),
    Tomasz Rząsa (1973, SC Heerenveen, Holandia, 19A-1 gol),
    Bartosz Bosacki (1975, FC Nuernberg, Niemcy, 5A),
    Arkadiusz Głowacki (1979, Wisła Kraków, 14A),
    Tomasz Kłos (1973, Wisła Kraków, 54A - 4 gole),
    Marcin Baszczyński (1977, Wisła Kraków, 13A),
    Dariusz Dudka (1983, Amica Wronki, 2A).

Midfielders:

Mariusz Lewandowski (1979, Szachtar Donieck, Ukraina, 16A),
    Jacek Krzynówek (1976, Bayer Leverkusen, Niemcy, 41A-4 gole),
    Kamil Kosowski (1977, FC Kaiserslautern, Niemcy, 25A-2 gole),
    Arkadiusz Radomski (1977, SC Heerenveen, Holandia, 6A),
    Euzebiusz Smolarek (1981, Feyenoord Rotterdam, Holandia, 3A),
    Damian Gorawski (1979, Wisła Kraków, 8A-1 gol),
    Mariusz Kukiełka (1976, 19A-3gole),
    Sebastian Mila (1982, Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski, 10A-3 gole).

Forwards:

Andrzej Niedzielan (1979, NEC Nijmegen, Holandia, 11A-5 goli),
    Grzegorz Rasiak (1979, AC Siena, Włochy, 13A-3 gole),
    Emmanuel Olisadebe (1978, Panathinaikos Ateny, Grecja, 25A-11 goli),
    Piotr Włodarczyk (1977, Legia Warszawa, 2A-1 gol),
    Maciej Żurawski (1976, Wisła Kraków, 32A-6 goli).

13. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Interesting that Olisadebe is being named in the squad, but others are claiming that he is hurt and will not play. I hope he plays, but with his injury troubles, it is going to be tough.

14. Marta

Marta New Member

Jul 28, 2004

You're right, that's interesting. He is to rest for a half a year, so probably won't play in this games...

15. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Do you think these places will charge at the door. I know Setanta, the satellite provider that has the rights to the game, is having bars charge $20 at the door to show the game. Will this be the case for this game as well or no?

16. FFan

FFan New Member

Oct 27, 1999
    Naperville, IL
    I think so. I don't expect them to lower it. It is $20 (at least at Jedynka and Abbey Pub) for about 2-3 years now. I wouldn't be suprised if they bump the price to $25.00 or $30.00 for Wednesday which would be a ripoff. I guess, it depends on the saturday's game result.

17. therealronaldo7

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Damn. For the Euros this summer I went to a Czech bar for a few games and although they were supposed to charge for the game, they did not, which was nice. I was hoping a small, Polish bar might show the game and such for free. Thanks for the info! Looks like I will not be going to the game after all. $20 for a game is a rip if you ask me. Hell, the tickets in Belfast are probably cheaper.

18. ecwlukeny

ecwlukeny New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Anyone know if there is a stream online?