World Cup MYTH-BUSTERS!!!!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by gethomas3, Feb 9, 2008.

1. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Hello, my name is Germaine. I have always thought of maybe getting some really good information about certain parts of the history of the World Cup. You see, the media (FIFA, European analysts, etc.) have always fed us on what and what not to believe about certain parts. But once I have ACTUALLY seen them, it made me changed my mind and see what else has FIFA deceived us on.

How this will work? Basically, bring up a "myth" about anything that happened and we all would help you know the real truth about it. No more media-brainwashing you into believing something not entirely true. This will be from our very own, BS members.

2. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Since I started the thread, I will first post a "myth" I have heard. The 1990 FIFA World Cup final between Argentina and West Germany was always a special interest to me. Right now, I am about to watch it on YouTube to determine these points I have heard over the years and see if it is true:

1- Argentina were playing for the tie to go to penalties.

2- West Germany completely dominated the match as shown by the statistics (Argentina had 1 shot on goal while West Germany had 16).

3- The Italian's reason for the hostility to Argentina.

4- West Germany's "super" trio of Littbarski, Klinsmann, and Voller.

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought you would've watched this game already ages ago judging by the way you talk about football.

4. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    LOL No my friend. I have seen highlights of this game but never the FULL game. I have watched numerous games: The entire 1966, 1970, 1974, 1982, 1998, 2002, and 2006 World Cups. I have also watched a couple from 1962, 1978, 1990, and 1994 World Cups. I can't seem to fina any single game from 1958-before.

I had just finished watching the frist half of the 1990 final. Some thing I have found out:

1- Argentina were definetly NOT playing defensively from the get-go as many media sources have said.

2- Argentina were actually going forward to try to win the game and they weren't as skill less as I have heard. Burruchaga was probably the best Argentine player I have seen so far. And there were actually a good set of sequences from Argentina. Maradona was marked pretty well.

3- The West Germans were diving a lot more often then the Argentines (Although nowhere near the level of today's game). Backpassing alone, the West Germans backpassed 7 times (even when there was no danger) compared to 1 from Argentina. West Germany was nowhere near as offensive as I have heard.

4- The West German attacks were nowhere as "beautiful" as other Germans have trumpeted. Their main tactic of attacking were either someone will get the ball and run as fast as possible towards the Argentine half or try a few range shots which, while technically would still be considered a shot on goal, came nowhere near the goal. The VERY few beautiful momments of football, surprisingly, came from Argentina.

5- The West German offense actually sucked compared to previous champions, no questions asked. The Argentinian offense was even worse. They kept getting disposed by the West German defense and often gave away the ball. The West Germans were also guilty of that same crime to a lesser extent.

6- The game wasn't a total West German domination as previously said. If anything, it was more of a battle on the midfield which West Germany is winning so far (but not by much). I could also see that the West Germans were getting annoyed by their failure to score.

7- The Argentinian defense was nowhere near as good as previously said to be. The West German defense, on the other hand, looks very solid. The Argentines were lucky the West German offense wasn't too capable. Goycochea rarely did much in the first half and had no real danger from West Germany. Illgner was in a better situation. He probably could have laid down and watch the sky without worrying to much.

8- The Italian crowd was even more racist towards Argentina then I have heard. I really hope no major tournament is ever hosted in Italy again. That was purely disgusting!

9- Argentina was nowhere as cynical as previously trumpeted. The only bad foul I saw was when Serrizuela stepped on Littbarki's foot which actually looked like an accident. Serrizuela was trying to go for the ball.

Conclusion for the first half: In all fairness, it was a bit boring. The Italian fans weren't passionate about hosting their own World Cup at all. For good portions of the game, I thought they were playing inside a church! And the ones that did provide any sort of "excitement" were the Argentine crowd, whcih they got whistled anytime they chanted, and the West Germans.

So far, West Germany seems to have a slight edge. However, West Germany had not shown in the least they were worthy of the trophy. Argentina had not shown that they deserved to keep it, either.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sounds fair to me so far, but that might change quite a lot in the 2nd half.

The next game you should do is the 1974 WC Final. THAT one has way too many myths going on about it.

6. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    HOLY CRAP, you were right! This definetly changed a bit in the second half. I will finish the game before putting down my analysis, though.

7. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Well, I just finished the second half. It wasn't what I was expecting but here goes...

1- Argentina, while still looking for openings and trying to go forward, definetely adopted a more defensive strategy in the second half. In my opinion, Bilardo's move to substitute Burruchaga in was a major mistake as he was the best creative player Argentina had at the momment.

2- Buchwald marked Maradona well. The bad part about it was that he relied on very cynical tactics a few times.

3- West Germany lost whatever little creativity they had in the first half and started relying more on long range shots.

4- Best momment of the game? Littbarski's solo run in the beginning of the second half. He dribbles past 3 Argentines and shoots wide. The only true momment of genius in the entire match.

4- The few chances West Germany managed to create without relying on long-range shots and set-pieces were horrendous! This West German team had the worst strikers I have ever seen from a side many have tried to compare to other World Champions. Even while Argentina was down to 10-9 men, were they wasting the few chances they had. Klinsman's horrible shot at the end of the game is a metaphorically, prime example why that West German team should never be considered one of the best ever teams.

5- The infamous red card of Pedro Monzon....That foul was worthy of at most a yellow. While Monzons bad challenge had to be acknowledge, Klinsman's theatrics had to considered just as bad.

6- Klinsman and Voller's theatrics during the second half was sad and disgusting at the same time. Contrary to what I have heard in the past about Argentina in the final, it was West Germany who provided the most negative aspects of the match.

7- The red card towards Dezzotti at the end...the same, exact situation arosed in the 2nd Round of Portugal vs Netherlands in Germany 2006 when Deco, knowing the ball belonged to the Dutch for a foul, took the ball and started to run to waste time. In both occasions, the player trying to get the ball back grabbed the ball-holder. The difference? In this final, the referee punished the one trying to get the ball. In 2006, the referee punished the ball-holder. Kohler "milked" his fall pretty good.

8- West Germany's overly and negative approach at the end of the match was horrible to say the least. I understand teams try to eat up time whe they are close to winning, that is one thing. But when you backpass 5 times in 3 minutes (compared to 7 times in the entire second half), then you really have a problem.

9- The refereeing was good until the first red card. After that, it went downhill pretty fast to huge benefit of West Germany.

10- 5 minutes before the penalty, Calderon was fouled inside the box. While Matthus did certainly had some contact with his foot, Calderon also "milked" the fall. The referee was just a few feet away. I wouldn't have called a penalty, either.

11- The infamous penalty...that wasn't a penalty whatsover, point blank. Howver, looking at it from a different angle, I could see why the referee would have called a penalty, expecially from where he was extending. About FIFA bribing the referee for West Germany to win? I have seen much one-sided refereed games then this. For the majority of it, he actually called it pretty even. My guess is that maybe it was a bit too much for him at the end and started making mistakes. However, given the circumstances before the match, I wouldn't hold it against FIFA that they would do it.

Conclusion for the game: West Germany definetely took a bit more control of the match in the second half. Argentina had every right to feel cheated by this. This final seemed so empty in my chest as it was won by a shot from 12 yards away. The negativity of the West German side further made that feeling stay.

The match was largely won by the West German theatrics and the referee's incompetence, not the West German skill I have heard so much about. The "worthiest" team to win it? No one in particular. Argentina, Brazil, West Germany, and Italy. Take your pick.

MYTH OR NOT?
    Yes, it is a myth. Overall, West Germany won the World Cup. But the sad part is that they just won it, not earned it. MYTH CLOSED!!!

8. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Klinsmann and Völler scored 94 goals between them for (West) Germany throughout their careers. 47 each.

In World Cups alone they netted 19 goals. Klinsmann 11 and Völler 8.

That's really bad...

:rolleyes:

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    1990 World Cup final was a crap game where neither side was good enough. the referee didn't want to go to extra time because he was bored so he decided to award a points victory to Germany by handing them the match as they had played marginally better than Argentina.

10. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    And what is the relevance of all those goals in this match. No offense, that is impressive. Too bad they didn't show it in their last 3 games of Italy 1990, expecially the final I just got done watching. Here is the link if you think I am lying:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GWanNTq4lDc

Just go to part2, 3,4 and so on and so on. That is the entire match. Believe it or not, West Germany in 1990 isn't as good as you and your fellow Germans like to trumet around and I have hard proof of it.

Exactly! I can't believe people, especially Germans, tried to say that West Germany completely dominated when, in fact, were only a tad better then Argentina, who was nowhere as cynical as previously mentioned by the media. If anyone was doing negative football, it was West Germany with their diving and theatrics. During the whole match, whenever Argentina presented some danger, the Germans were quick to back-pass all the way to Illgner. Overall, it definetely was the worst final that I have seen.

11. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    What other myths have people known about the World Cup that we could solve?

12. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zinedine Zidane was the best player at World Cup '98.

Paging Teso ;)

13. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    I want to know the reason for this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kfenai77-wg

I read once, in Cris Freddi's Complete Book of the World Cup that Mwepu kicked the ball away because it was 'something he probably saw the professionals do'. I seriously doubt that. What 'professionals' were doing stuff like that?

Or did he do it just to waste time? It's been suggested that the Zairian players would have been punished if they lost by more than 3 goals to Brazil.

Or did he really not know the rules? :)

14. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    The 1990 team was worthy of the title. The final was not particularly impressing and certainly among the worst finals ever, but the 4:1 against Yugoslavia in the first match (the Yugos reached the quaterfinals and were only knocked out by Argentina in penalty kicks!) and the 2:1 against Holland in the second round were impressing, the semi final against England was another pretty good match, even if England was as good as Germany in that match alone (they were mediocre in every other match). While Germany was not great in the final, they were still clearly better than Argentina. Brazils team was probably the worst Brazilian team ever, Italy was ok, but totally relied on their defense. Germany had weak matches, but so did everyone else, and Germany played the best football in the tournament in their good games.

BTW, I think you watched that match wanting to bust myths... I just watched the first 20 minutes or so, and I see Germany being clearly better, Argentina did not have a single decent chance, while the Germans had several, and most of the time all Argentinians were in their own half of the pitch. Not that the Germans were all that great, but way better than Argentina, not only by a slight edge. And I have never seen anyone describe this match as the pinnacle of football... I'll stop watching now, since it is not a very interesting thing to watch, especially if you know how it ends.

15. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I'm sorry you wasted precious time by watching one of the worst ever games played at a World Cup. There are so many great games you could have watched instead yet you picked this travesty of a World Cup final.

I wonder what myths you are talking about here Gethomas? Everyone with a little bit of knowledge knows that the 1990 World Cup final was the worst one ever staged. It's not like you revealed anything new here with your observations. However there can be no discussion that Germany was a worthy winner of that World Cup, they happened to play their worst game in the final but up to then they played a pretty good tournament compared to all other teams (except Italy who also would have been a worthy champion). Before the semi finals were played everyone was hoping for a Germany-Italy final and the most dreaded scenario was a Argentina-England final. The final game in a World Cup rarely ever is the best game of a tournament, with regards to Germany and to judge their 1990 performance better you should watch their 4-1 vs. a very strong Yugoslavian side or one of the best and most controversial games ever at a World Cup, the 2-1 vs. Holland. That is much better stuff than the crappy final vs. Argentina.

BTW you should check the 1978 World Cup final if you want to see some more negative tactics by the winner, especially in the last 20 minutes of extra-time the Argies roll on the floor everytime a breeze of wind "hits" them, you'll see some of the most ridiculous diving ever witnesses in a World Cup final.

16. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    If you judge Klinsmann's and Völler's abilities as strikers on that World Cup final alone you just might do the same with Maradona based on his performance in that final which would be equally ridiculous.

Plus, Bauser is not German, he's Norwegian.

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I INSIST you do the 1974 WC Final. That one has stronger myths going around.

If you don't do it, I will, cos I have the game at home. And it's on youtube in full too.

18. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    How did the penalty-worthy foul on Augenthaler in the Argie box earlier in the second half escape your attention?

19. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    The first 20 minutes I could only give the West Germans a slight edge. Argentina were also trying to be offensive and they actually showed a little of creativity while at it too in direct contrast to West Germany who seemed that their only strategy was to get the ball and run as fast as possible. But the BS that I kept hearing from other Germans, expecially the shots on goal 16-1, was complete horseshit. West Germany certainly did not dominated the match as I have previosuly heard.

Before you tell me something, watch the full match. You will see how negative West Germany becomes in the match. Disgusting team! How did I fell for that?

20. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Do you have a link to the final?

21. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I can tell you this without looking at any videos. I have read in many autographies from the Zaire players that they were under A LOT of pressure to perform well from their dictator. On the last game against Brazil and that was after an ass-raping of 0-9, their dictator told the team if the lost by more then 4 goals then they will be killed and their families will lose their jobs, etc.

As for the kick, yes, he really did not know the rules! Zaire was the African Champion at the time (and if this is the prefromance from Africa's best, then just imagine everyone else). Brazil were trying to go for as many goals as possible because they didn't know how the other match would end up. Either way, the group was settled by who beat Zaire with the most goals. Every other match that didn't involved Zaire ended in a tie.

Here is a link to a bit of info:

Sure enough, after that dreaded performace, the Zaire players were NEVER pad again. Africa revampted itself and while missing out in Argentina 1978, they definetley did much better in Spain 1982.

MYTH OR NOT?
    It is NOT a myth, Zaire really had the worst ever team ever to qualify in a World Cup. While they got ass-whoopins without managing to score, they also had to learn the game's rules while playing, too.

22. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I can tell you this without looking at any videos. I have read in many autographies from the Zaire players that they were under A LOT of pressure to perform well from their dictator. On the last game against Brazil and that was after an ass-raping of 0-9, their dictator told the team if the lost by more then 4 goals then they will be killed and their families will lose their jobs, etc.

As for the kick, yes, he really did not know the rules! Zaire was the African Champion at the time (and if this is the prefromance from Africa's best, then just imagine everyone else). Brazil were trying to go for as many goals as possible because they didn't know how the other match would end up. Either way, the group was settled by who beat Zaire with the most goals. Every other match that didn't involved Zaire ended in a tie.

Here is a link to a bit of info:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=luNM0rJH-hY&feature=related

Sure enough, after that dreaded performace, the Zaire players were NEVER pad again. Africa revampted itself and while missing out in Argentina 1978, they definetley did much better in Spain 1982.

MYTH OR NOT?
    It is NOT a myth, Zaire really had the worst ever team ever to qualify in a World Cup. While they got ass-whoopins without managing to score, they also had to learn the game's rules while playing, too.

23. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Because there was absolutely NO DOUBT that Augenthlaer dived in the box. I didn't felt like putting something that obvious as part of my notes.

24. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I have now seen every game by West Germany in 1990. All I can tell you, since you are German and a bit biased:), is that 2 games out of the whole cup doesn't show you are worthy of being World Champions. The good games I saw from West Germany was against Yugoslavia and Netherlands. Everything else was mediocre at best and it got worse as the cup went on.

Of course, I knew the score at the end. But I wanted to see if the myths about it were true or not. Some of those myths were:

1- Argentina's heavy cynicisim.

2- West Germany's heavy domination.

3- The referee's one-sided refereeing.

4- The Italian racism.

And I found out that...

1- Argentina's heavy cynicisim: Myth! If anything, the cynicism came from West Germany with their highly negative play at times. Especially in the second half.

2- West Germany's heavy domination: Myth! The West Germans were playing better then Argentina but not by much. Their offensive capabilities in this match was almost one-dimensional and their stikers were horrendous.

3- The referee's one-sided refereeing: Myth! The referee more or less called it pretty envenly until the first red card. After that, it seemed to me like he was mentally breaking down due to pressure, the crowd, something.

4- The Italian racism: Not a myth! This match showed me why there should never be a major tournament in Italy ever again. That was pure racism I saw out there.

25. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Do you have links to any of France's games?