World Cup in the Classroom?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by ForeverRed, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4848956.stm

I didn't see this story anywhere on BS and it looks pretty interesting?

Should schools be allowed to show football matches from the upcoming world cup in the classrooms? Why the heck not?

NYC isn't even a big football city compared to European or South American areas but showing games in the class would certainly prove more substantial than some regular lesson plans which often go right over students heads.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    This really just seems like football-crazy teachers looking for a tenuous justification in order not to miss the match.

I guess I can sorta understand it somewhere like Argentina where otherwise large numbers of kids would just go truant to watch the match (therefore you lose the entire day instead of a couple of hours for the game)... but seriously, NYC? Admit it, you just don't want to TiVo the US games. :D

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

HAHA Nahh....If everything goes according to plan, I'll actually be in the middle of the action in Deutschland but who knows....

I can tell you this though, I'd rather be there and watch German commentary than watch the aweful ESPN coverage here or Telemundo for that matter.

4. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    nothing wrong with the idea in theory, the question is how's it's put into practice. if people just watch and then go on about their lives, then it's a waste of time. but with a little planning, lessons can be built around it, which could make this an extremely valuable tool.

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Bastard.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the when I was in middle school in the late 1970s and early 1980s, we watched the World Series during lunch period and again during PE. One little tv in the front of the gym. And it really didn't matter if an LA team was involved. But, we'd never get away with that now.

During the last World Cup, I was teaching a Sport and Global Affairs class. We didn't watch the Cup during class, but did have many kessons tied to particular games. And I have taught an upperdivison class on Soccer and 20th Century World History - but no game watching except during the final exam session. But these are things for a thread about teaching soccer in the academic setting another time . . .

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good point. A skilled teacher can cover geography, history, politics, culture, and even mathematics and statistics, if one wants to get into the finer points of wagering.

;)

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Won't the World Cup occur during summer break?

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Maybe not in Argentina.

Its their winter I think.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thats right.

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I think that some Northern states get out in middle or late June; I know that down here it's not a problem. But then again, I watched the first few innings of Game 1 of the Astros-Braves NLDS this year in 8th period Physics. It really wasn't a distraction - the people that didn't care just tuned it out.

12. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    i imagine the argies are doing this, at least in part, to try to make sure the kids actually turn up to school on match days.

my ex-employer used to do the same thing!

13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If thats the case...good strategy.

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I tried to teach anything having to do with soccer in my room.... the students would all say, "Can't we learn some Shakespeare or something?"

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We had the afternoons off when Brazil played in 1990 and 1994 (the two World Cups that I remember but was still in school for). Some of the first games of the World Cup were during the school semester.

I remember that the opening game in 1990 was during our last period of class and one classmate had a walkman on listening to the game... none of us believed him when he said Cameroon had scored! :D

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give a pop quiz and fail anyone who can't spell Pele's real name. Then look look sad as they leave the room and rattle off "parting is such sweet sorrow."

17. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    what's that line in King Lear about a "base footballer" or something? ;)

18. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Beat this... Robbie Keane equalises for Ireland against Ze Germans in 2002 in the 93rd minute, and literally EVERY 15/16 y/o Irish kid is sitting a state exam that you had to repeat the year/grade if you didn't sit. Yes, it was true.... and yes, I was 15 (almost 16) in June 2002.

19. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    King Lear
    [I, 4]

[b[Oswald.[/b] I'll not be strucken, my lord.

Earl of Kent. Nor tripp'd neither, you base football player?

There's also this one:

Comedy of Errors
    [II, 1]

Dromio of Ephesus. Am I so round with you as you with me,
    That like a football you do spurn me thus?

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was a sub at Huntington Park High School just south east of East LA, 98% Latino. Kids found out I was a soccer nut and conspired to do the following... on their own:

1. Told as many teachers w/ as possible that I was a responsible sub and that they really, really learned from me (which was true, by the way :D )

2. Told the office secretary in charge of subs that I was great

Once the ground work was laid for me to get steady work throughout the tourney, they did the following, again, on their own...

3. Made sure that the best tv and vcr was taken out of rotation during the tournament (the student worker for audiovisual... soccer fan :D )

4. DELIVERED... daily said tv every day to whatever room I was in.

5. Whenever a teacher had a sudden meeting to attend to and needed a sub for one period, if it was during my "conference period", told them that they should get uclacarlos. And the tv came w/ me. (This was awesome, b/c I ended up getting a shitload of extra money from teaching during a conference period.)

Every break/lunch, I had at least 40 students in my classroom to watch games. They would even have somebody go get me lunch, if needed.

I would have the tv on but muted. If kids weren't being productive and on task, tv went off.

The soccer nuts patrolled the classes for me. I didn't have to do any discipline, as they kept everybody on task.

Now, if the game got good... real good... volume UP and everybody got to watch.

Best 3 weeks subbing EVER!!

21. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work at a school that implements cross-curricular project-based learning. Last semester I took students through a World Cup project that did in fact cover many of those subjects (geography, economics, history, language, and math); additionally, there was a public speaking component. Also, the lesson was scaffolded for English language learners. If anyone wants a lesson plan, PM me.