World Cup Final: France vs Croatia, July 15 [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by Edwardinho, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You can't maintain balance when jumping without extending your arms? You might want to see a kinesiologist about that. :rolleyes:

Most smart defenders keep their arms within the frame of their torso when jumping in the box. It's how you avoid penalties.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure what you mean by 'his eyes are on the ball'? What would you expect his eyes to be on? I'm sorry, that doesn't prove anything other than that he's involved in the game.

It looks to me that his arm moves when the ball hits it but, again, it's hard to tell from the video available.

3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't find the replay online (rights issues I guess). But they showed a clear slow mo replay slightly from behind during the match..where you can CLEARLY see he changes the direction of arm and hand and slaps the ball. This is the footage that VAR alerted the ref to. I believe it is also the footage that the ref decided on. It shows the arm going in a natural trajectory to his position and then sharply moving to stop the ball getting past.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, very amusing :rolleyes:

Have you ever watched a game of football before? It doesn't sound like it because ALL players move their arms when they jump.
    No, they don't. In probably 90% of the following examples, (chosen entirely at random), the player's arms move away from their body when they jump.

You can count the number of examples there where the player has his arms stuck to his side on the fingers of one hand.

No offence but you're just embarrassing yourself now mate.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, OK! I'm not sure I've seen that one.

And is his left arm moving differently to his right arm on that one?

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes. It's either a reflex action when seeing the ball coming..or a blatant attempt to stop the ball going past him. It is extremely hard to argue that it is a natural movement.

7. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Karloski, you have the video? If you can find that video and post it please, I have to see that video with my own eyes first. I'm sure it out there in Twitter somewhere, people upload everything in Twitter.

8. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I looked, I can't find it. There is a copyright issue with FIFA games, so world cup footage and replays are not easy to find.

9. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    If several players retire, here how could look Croatia. Not bad, with Alen Halilovic, maybe Marko Livaja...they mention Krovinovic here, under number 9.
    It will be the same, no big changes, success will be present, maybe not finals, but sustainable process of participation as favourites from wider lists.

[​IMG]

10. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #885 Buffonfan, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Has anyone "else" here see the video Karloski talking aout? Unless I see the existent of the video and the footage, anyone can say anything about the content of any video.

I'm neutral on the handball, no complaint on that one. I just have a problem with Griezmann dive.
    FIFA should change it VAR rule, a player fall down and award a free kick, and that free kick end up a goal, it should be check by VAR. If there no contact (purpose dive), it should not count.

If VAR is here to stay then use it to help, at least use it to stop those players who purposely dive just so they can help bring a score to their side. I don't care who it is or what team it is, if my team dive, the goal shouldn't count too.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've found one myself and am just uploading :)

It's still slightly inconclusive in that his other arm seems to be moving similarly downward, (albeit to a lesser extent), but also the ball DOES seem to change direction from it's original flight as the cross comes in from the video behind but at an angle.

But I think it shows enough to indicate it's questionable and, more to the point, the case it was a 'clear and obvious error' isn't proven.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #887 Naughtius Maximus, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    I think the one I've just uploaded shows it...

It's still questionable IMO but, as they say, I've seen them given and seen them not given.

I'd still like to see one where it shows whether the fella immediately in front of Perisic touched the ball because it looks like the flight of the ball has changed BEFORE it strikes his hand.

But the bottom line for me is if we have to watch it in slow-slow motion, (I've slowed the existing slow-mo down by another 80%), it calls into question how sure we are.

If his arm is at a clearly odd angle, (not just slightly out at an angle which happens in almost ALL headers as I've proved), then fair enough but if THIS is the new criteria we're going to have a handball in almost every connection between ball and hand and that was NOT the intention when the law was created.

Buffonfan repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The way his left arm comes down is quite a bit different angle and before the right arm.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just realised I'd recorded the game and can edit the vids :D Sorry for wasting your time mate :)

I can see why it was given but, equally, I think the argument it as a 'clear and obvious error' isn't as 'clear and obvious' as you'd like in a world cup final, particularly as he'd already given a phantom foul leading up to the first goal.

Of course, if I was French I'd think it was first class use of VAR by the ref but, equally, if I were Croatian I'd think it was well dodgy... especially as Croatia had humiliated my country's side, Argentina, 3-0 earlier in the tournament. I know that sort of thing isn't meant to make any difference but having seen at least one dodgy decision, another one looks rather hard to explain.

Anyway, we've analysed the crap out of this, haven't we so, moving on!!! :)

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But the arms of all the other people jumping to head a ball are also very different. Just watch them again.

Anyway, like I say, seen 'em given, seen 'em not given :)

16. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Your videos are quick clips of various offensive players heading the ball. I'm talking about players defending in their own box (not Ramos scoring a goal). The good defenders keep their arms at their sides in their own box.

What minute of which of your videos does a defender extend his arm the way Perisic did?

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL

18. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    pithy.

19. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    That's been my whole point it must be clear and obvious error for Var to overturn and clearly the ref was not sure as he took forever to make his mind up. I've seen that handball given and not given. Those who say it was intentional well are either just haters or clueless about football as it's impossible to slap at the ball when he didn't see it for only maybe a split second as Matuidi was blocking the vision of Perisic. This was stated by many pro footballers who have played the game that no way can Perisic react to the ball.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Perisic not seeing the ball is an assumption , and a bad one. All players see the ball coming from a corner and are able to track its trajectory.

21. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Wrong his vision is blocked as Matuidi is right in front of Perisic as he jumps to try to head the ball. Several people have said the ball glances of Matuidi head but very hard to tell on replay.

22. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    What boggles my mind is former referees and former professional footballers have said not a pk. People just admit its not clear and obvious if so many people do not think it was a pk. on a espn poll it was almost 50/50 on whether people thought it was a pk. Clear and obvious pk my arse. Never a big fan of Peter Schmeichel but respect for saying ref stole world cup from Croatia.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Are you sure about that ? And the ball was coming from a higher trajectory. So yeah, he saw the ball basically the whole way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phillyspur repped this.
  24. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you for reupload.

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...ce-two-controversial-goals-in-triumph/9997316
    This analysis has the replay of the clip.

And this is their take on it:
    [ In real time, it's highly unlikely the handball was deliberate. Matuidi was in front of Perisic as the intended target. The Frenchman missed his header. The ball instead travelled on to Perisic, twisting in the air and unsuspectingly glancing the ball with his trailing hand. ]

[​IMG]

To me this so call "handball", it a 50/50 call, but I KNOW France will get the penalty to them, you know they (France) are a big team. Money, sponsorship and shit.
    Ofcourse FIFA will side with the big team, like FIFA want a small team like Croatia to win the WC.
    I believe it when I see a small underdog team win a WC. Probably when I have grey hair, it still won't happen.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you notice his right arm also moves down. In the first shot it's slightly elevated above his own head and in the second it's level or slightly below.

As I say, that doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.