World Cup Fever

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by SgtSchultz, Apr 25, 2006.

1. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I was chatting with my brother tonight(the infamous Kernal Klink). We were discussing our trip to Germany. After hanging up the phone, I realized how exciting the whole experience will be. We are less than 6 weeks from our boys taking the field. Like many on here, I will be there cheering the USA from the stands with all my might. I cant rest. I cant concentrate. For many US soccer fans, this is our chance to be there when the lads make history. There is something so special about the World Cup. There is nothing like it in the world and many of us are going. We truly are lucky.

Whether we win or lose, the experience will be memorable. You live life once and the opportunity like the World Cup only comes every 4 years. The atmosphere should be electric.

When I was a kid, I had a hard time sleeping Chrismas eve. This is how I feel right now.

I hope everybody is feeling the same way.

2. thegreatcrab

thegreatcrab Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Brighton, MA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya, this will be my third world cup and my first one where I'm attending a game. I've been fortunate as a kid to be in the US during 1994 and to be visiting my grandparents in France during '98 (ah the glory years).

However ever since we were in middle school my buddy and I have beeen planning a grand tour of France for the summer after we graduate from high school. We then tacked on a little excursion to Germany for the USA vs. Ghana game after I was able to procure some tickets.

Everyone at my school is saying X number of days until we graduate... the World Cup opener is on the day before we graduate, I'm saying X-1 days until the World Cup.

It truly is World Cup Fever when you're thinking more about that then walking across the podium in a gown getting your diploma!!

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    World Cup? What's that?

:D

4. USAvsGHANATIX

USAvsGHANATIX New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    I love the enthusiasm. I wish I could afford to see the games. I was lucky enough to receive tickets to the game but I cannot fly to Germany to see just one game.

I have four Category One tickets to the USA vs. Ghana match. I have to get rid of them. I do not want to have to sell them to a ticket broker because I know they will end up in the hands of somebody that doesn't even support the US.

If you know or hear of anybody looking for tickets send them my way. I am not looking to get rich. Just get my money back.

NO SCALPERS! ONLY REAL USA FANS!

5. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My friend and I are literally couting the days (33) until we depart. Though it wont be my first time abroad, it'll be my first in Europe, and we're going to take in London and Amsterdam as well.

Its a funny thing to say but at 21 Im already living out one of my life's ambitions, which is seeing a World Cup game...lucky enough to get tickets for 3 in fact. I havent been able to focus at school or work since March.

6. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in high school , and not many of my friends were aware of what the WC was , but now they all hear it at least twice a day that there is less than two months , and they all know what DTOM stands for !

My family is getting sick of me constantly talking about how amazing this summer will be , and what we have to do to shut down the Czech and Italian offense . Every night I go to bed thinking that in a certain amount of months I will be in germany . I sit in class thinking in exactly two months we will be playing italy and I will be there . Its so hard to wait this long , but its going to be the most amazing three weeks of my life .

USA

7. Kernel KlinK

Kernel KlinK New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a very hard group. Think about it, 3 of the top team in the world in one group, two advance with one having to play Brazil. We may not get out of group play but I know - - I know we will play well. This is our best team ever and even though the competition may be tougher than last go around we're legit. We will take it to them, we will play the full 90 and we will have a few surprises.

I am a teacher. Every day in class I quiz my students about the World Cup and the greatness that is the US team. It's amazing how little they know but they are willing to learn and are starting to watch and attend games. This trip that all of us are going on will be amazing. For one month America will be on one page - - at least those of us in Germany. We will all sing, cheer, yell and drink together - as one. Our boys will be impressed by our support as we will be impressed by their performance.

I too can't sleep. Every night I lie awake thinking of possibilites. I'm sick it's true. Deliriously so. I love challenges and this hope of mine that we win the whole damn thing is both a distant dream and yet a not out of this world possibility. The challange that awaits our team is great. The support they need is greater. We will not let them down and I can't wait to show that support.

Remember, "that which we receive to easily, we esteem too lightly"
    -Thomas Paine.

Let's do it.

Kernel Klink

8. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put. I am 22 and about to also live the dream. We have a full load of great matches (USA games, France, Holland, Winner A-Runner-up B) and it will be a blast. Add to that the fact that I love history and have always wanted to visit Europe, this is going to be sweet.

On a side note, I do not know what I will do when this is over. The ticketing phases have been especially addicting. Oh well, luckily being a graduate student has its perks (can you say internet access all day!).

9. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another teacher here and I put every current mens national team game on the board for them to see. The 3 May games have been up for 2 weeks now. Even if they don't love the game as I do(and to be fair there are about 12 students as nuts as I am) the kids will come in and ask how the team did. It was painful after the Germany and Jamaica game but they asked so i answered. As one who can't go, and one who can't watch one first round game live, I am chomping at the bit. 3 events in my life that happen to coinside with our first round games. Therefore we must advance. I'll do all i can at the Latvia game. For me, it's always more nerve-wracking being a fan than being a player. The butterflies and excitement are beginning knowing that in a month in Hartford, I'll see our world cup team play. Second world cup in a row I've seen the send off game. When we make it to the second round, the party and game is at my house. I have actually Tivod and then recorded games and given them to my students. They will listen to whatever we want to talk about.

10. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has not been a day since August 24th that has not involved my having some form of "omg germany we're going to germany" conversation with Toole, Magpie, or the rest of the NE gang.

11. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I type this my hubby has got the huge map of Germany spread out on the table and he is scanning the cities to see where we would like to go. We also found out that 1 of my 11 yr old sons may get to train and play in Germany for a couple days............WOW! What an awesome experience this is going to be and I am so lucky we get to bring our 11 yr old twins with us, they too are excited! We talked to Eddie Johnson the other day and he is so excited for his opportunity to make the team. He says it doesn't seem real yet! I think the US will have a good showing and make us all proud! I just need to finally order my USMNT jersey!

12. dkrboys

dkrboys New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Simi Valley, CA
    Is this an organized event? We're bringing our 3 boys, 2 that still play club soccer. I, too, have an 11 year old son & we were just planning on doing the "street soccer" thing with whatever kids my boys can find!

13. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's thru a program run by a former Dallas Burn player called Stars and Stripes. I am still waiting on more details.
    http://www.starsnstripessoccer.com/