World Cup Express

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by flmls, Dec 14, 2004.

1. flmls

flmls New Member

Just in case you have missed the world cup express that Joe and his mates had built, it rules. Just wanted to say that it is a great idea, and I hope to find a school bus up here and do the same thing.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Have you had a chance to speak in depth to Joe and perhaps profit from a few lessons learned?

At the Columbus trip in November, we were discussing if there was another bus with an awning (on the to do list for WCX) - we could park side by side and have a huge party tent under the 2 awnings. Nice if it's rainy or very hot!

Good luck!

3. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Dude,
    1. Most school systems unload for cheap busses after 12 years yet they are still in great shape.
    2. Get an International w/ an Alison transmission 360. Not a powerful engine/trans. but according to a mechanic buddy of mine who worked on school busses - -this one will not break down.
    3. It will cost you about $4,000 - $5,000 for the bus and probably $1,000 to get it inspected. And another couple thousand to pimp it out - - minimal. Register it as an RV. You'll have to make certain changes to it (no flashing lights, can't be yellow, etc.) Look these up at your state Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
    4. Gut the inside. Everything but the drivers seat. If you have some basic wood or metal working skills you can bolt everything to the frame that you need. The damn thing is as strong as a tank.

If you want specifics, contact me: Joe_Gannon@fc.mcps.k12.md.us
    Good luck.

4. flmls

flmls New Member

Thanks Joe,
    It's chris from Buffalo, met ya at the last 3 qualies. If only I can pry that money away from my wedding to buy a bus.....

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Are there any recent pics of the bus? And is the WCX going to Birmingham?

6. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Picx? No. I am computer illiterate and I'm waiting for one of my students to help me out.
    Birmingham? Nope again. We probably would've done it as it is during our Spring Break, however, I'm taking a group of students to Spain at that time (and during the Mexcio game). I'm a bit upset about this. However, if things fall into place (Costa Rica game at Gillete and Mexico game at C-bus) the WCX will be there - - and it will be upgraded to provide more tailgating enjoyment for the legions of supporters. The Aug. 17th game is also a possibility for the bus as will be the Gold Cup Tournament this summer. It all depends where they hold the games. East of the Mississippi and it's a go.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Just because yu are away is no reason for the WCX not to make it to the games. :)

8. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    There is a scenario where the bus may make it but it is as likely as the 'skins making the playoffs (or your giants for that matter)

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Well let's work on that first scenario ehh? :)

10. UlyssesGWashington

DC United
    Sep 9, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the World Cup Express is the automotive ark of the covenant, and Joe Gannon is its Indiana Jones.

I'm still waiting for someone to confess about spilling an entire jar of peanuts inside the ark of the covenant.