World Cup Expansion to 48 Teams (Update: FIFA Council Agrees 2026 Slot Allocation)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by shizzle787, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    probably so, but till it happens, I'll continue enjoying the moment.

And when it's over, I might be dead by then (Im not preciselly very young now, together with being subject to many ailments that usually finish in death), so I wouldn't need to worry much about it any longer....

I would love to finish the road, with a WC championship under my sleeves, though.
    If not, .......well, be ........:cool:

2. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Even score 1 goal when the opponent needs only a tie to go through after the robbery of the opening game changes the whole configuration of the match in a tactical aspect.
    Mexico scored after half time when Croatia had to open the game which they would not if they were not under pressure to win.
    But fact is Mexico won and reached round 16 i agree.

You can repeat millions times how chile and colombia have been good losing against the weakest of world cup 2014 semi finalists. A semi finalist losing 7-1 in semi final and 3-0 in a 3rd place match. The worst semi finalist of all times!

Fact is Colombia did not go further than Belgium. And Chile did not go further than Swiss and Greece.
    We can repeat it millions times i don't care.

About world cup 2018 we will see.
    Among Portugal Belgium England Croatia Swiss Poland Serbia Russia and last teams qualified there will be 4-5 teams minimum in round 16. 2-3 in 1/4 and one in semis.
    They are closer in level than you imagine.

Russia at home in world cup will be much tougher than what last world cups showed. If you think Russians are the kind to invest billion to be humiliated at home in front of the world you really dont know much about this country.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And your place is in a padded cell...hopefully you will get back your sanity in 14 months, when hopefully someone else sends Belgium back home from the WC. For your sake let's hope t's Germany, whom you Belgians readily bend over in football (and otherwise).

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It IS absolutely true ... as a matter a fact ... that in almost a century Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Paraguay and Bolivia have very little to show for their efforts ... the overrated SA fodder that got a mention in my post HARDLY have ANY QF finishes ... reaching the R16 is a low standard, SA dross is overrated, water is wet ... from UEFA 9 (nine) teams have reached the FINAL, around 20 (twenty) reached at least the SFs ... only surviving the group and getting knocked out immediately after, meh, but hey-ho each to his own ... clearly the bar is set much higher in Uefa*

Also, Colombia ... mediocrity for almost an entire century ... only that 1 (one) QF and a repeat isn't expected from Hames the bench-rotter. Chile's controversial WC1962 at home already got a mention before ... have been mediocre for almost a century as well ... early exits in recent WCs and highly likely to regress as Chile will very soon have to kiss Alexis and Vidal goodbye. Uruguay, despite the biting and handball, are living on WC finishes from a distant past (caveman times in football terms) ... again, in the last 5 (five) decades their results have been horribly underwhelming (not much except Suarez's handball WC). That leaves just 2 (two) sides that aren't throwaway bets ... one has been underperforming for quite some time now, since the 90s, and the other is carrying all of Conmelol ... I very much doubt things will look all that differently after the expansion but it's the future so who really knows.

*Unlike Bolivia, one of the worst teams in the history of the WC (i.e. Kuwait tier) ... a quarterfinalist is the worst ranked Uefa side ever at the WC ... excluding recently balkanised members that participated as part of a previous NT, some of which have reached QFs or SFs even though they only started competing in recent times, e.g. talent factory Croatia, while the likes of Ecuador have failed to reach at least a QF in almost a century. Conmelol is very much overrated.

5. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Mods!

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    which means that IF we maintain our current standing for the next 9 years then Peru might make the playoffs

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    why would you compare a 10 team confed with a 55 team confed and not factor in the teams placed in positions 11 to 55? :confused:

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    they do have 5 continental championships to show for themselves that is more continental championships than 81% or 82% of European nations

9 teams as finalists out of 55 is not overly impressive compared to 3 from 10

20 semifinalists sound impressive but then ill wager that overall more European teams (by a considerable amount) have entered world cups therefore it would be a travesty if they did not have more semifinalists

9. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    World cup should involve the best squads in the world or should be a charity competition?

I don't think it's about comparing the weakest commebol nations with some 30 000 people countries in europe.

I think it's about having the best in world cup as far as i am concerned.

And when it comes to the best squads there are 20 teams in europe that can challenge most of asians africans north americans and the 6th-7th team from south america.

Anyway...you will get that with the 48 teams tournament from 2026.
    16 europeans 16 groups will mean more europeans teams seeded. And only one european by group so less chances for the 5th-16th european teams to face the best nations in the world from the first round.

Fifa opened the tournament to more teams but it will give even more advantage to uefa nations on the final rounds.

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    #3086 condor11, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    my personal opinion is that 48 teams is a travesty and 32 teams is probably the ideal number

I would prefer to wind it back to 16 which would simply put greater emphasis on qualifying

1 Host
    7 UEFA
    3 Conmebol
    1.5 Concacaf
    1.5 Asia
    1.5 Africa
    .5 OFC

one can only dream...using the FIFA rankings my world cup allocation would be

Host: Russia
    Germany, France, Belgium, Portugal, Swizterland, Spain, Poland
    Brazil, Argentina, Chile
    Egypt
    Mexico
    Iran

Playoffs: Senegal, Costa Rica, New Zealand, South Korea

4 groups of 4
    QFs
    SFs
    Final..no stupid third place

and its over

11. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    The ranking you use is travesty as well as after qualifications you will find 2 or 3 big european nations eliminated all the time.

France missed 90 and 94 before greet world cup in 98 and it was 24 teams tournament.

England missed 94 as well.

Portugal didnt play a world cup between 86 and 2002.

I think the 32 teams tournament was the best.

But we will see...

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    big teams missing out is good puts emphasis on qualifiers

plus the FIFA ranking was only used as an example to get 16 teams

if the Conmebol qualifiers ended today the 3 teams qualified would be: Brazil, Colombia and Uruguay...Argentina misses out

There are currently 9 groups in UEFA qualifiers and the 9 leaders are
    France, Switzerland, Germany, Serbia, Poland, England, Spain, Belgium, Croatia

Italy and Netherlands miss out

In my scenario there would only be 7 groups but hey these 9 group leaders give you an indication of who would qualify if only group winners went through to the big show

Nicola777 repped this.
  13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing not mentioned, in the past 2 EURO teams could be in the same group, making the odds of one of the EURO teams advancing greater.

For Example...
    Netherlands and Spain – Nehterlands advances
    England & Italy – neither advanced (3rd time a EURO team didn't advance from a 2 team EURO group)
    France & Switzerland – Both advanced
    Germany & Portugal – Germany advanced
    Belgium & Russia – Belgium advanced

England & Slovenia – England advanced
    Germany & Serbia – Germany advanced
    Netherlands & Denmark – Netherlands advanced
    Slovakia & Italy – Slovakia advanced
    Spain & Switzerland – Spain advanced

Germany & Poland – Germany advanced
    England & Sweden – Both advanced
    Netherlands & Serbia – Netherlands advanced
    Italy & Cech Rep – Italy advanced
    Switzerland & France – Both advanced
    Spain & Ukraine – Both advanced

Denmark & France – France advanced
    Spain & Slovenia – Spain advanced
    Portugal & Poland – neither advanced (2nd time a EURO team didn't advance from a 2 team EURO group)
    Germany & Rep of Ireland – Both advanced
    Sweden & England – both advanced
    Italy & Croatia – Italy advanced
    Belgium & Russia – Belgium advanced

Norway & Scotland – Norway advanced
    Italy & Austria – Italy advanced
    France & Denmark – both advanced
    Spain & Bulgaria – neither advanced (1rst time a EURO team didn't advance from a 2 team EURO group)
    Netherlands & Belgium – Netherlands advanced
    Germany & Yugoslavia – both advanced
    Romania & England – both advanced

Only 3 times did a EURO team not advance when two EURO teams were in a group. You can view this 2 different ways...

1. EURO is dominant and their teams advance out of the group a lot.
    ----- or ---------
    2. EURO teams have an advantage because they are the only region that have 2 teams in a group.

Only 1 of the 2 EURO teams needs to beat out 2 of the other teams to advance... compared to all other regions that need to beat out 3 teams to advance.

To bring this post back on topic. This new 48 team format, if EURO gets what they want, will eliminate the 2 EURO teams in 1 group situation. EURO wants one team in each of the 16 groups... now they only need to beat out 1 team to advance. I feel EURO teams will have a good chance to advance most of the time in this new format... same for 6 or 7 CONMEBOL teams.

Nicola777 repped this.
  14. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    16 groups also means 16 seeds! So more chances to be seeded means less big matchs from beginning for the 9th 16th teams.
    And one european by group mean more chances to avoid the best europeans + brazil argentina for the europeans not seeded.

Beat only one team before round 32 means also more time to find rythm to adapt to local conditions and to play 3rd match at equal conditions! Not running after the points lost in first or second game.

So the middle and lower tier uefa will make more damages in knockout stages.

As i said the other time a team like portugal will be much more dangerous for the likes of USA in a round 32 than in a group stage.

15. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think 16 groups necessarily means 16 seeds. They have yet to determine the seeding process for this. Maybe some of the weaker EURO teams get a group with Brazil and a decent CAF or CONCACAF team.

Edit: Portugal has not done well against the USA in the WC. In 2002 and 2014 we advanced and Portugal did not. We beat them in 2002, 3-2. And tied in Brazil, but almost won the game.

16. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    I think there will be 16 seeds.
    As Just as in any other football competition.
    One group one seed.
    Then there wont be 2 nations from same confederation in a group as we are in a world cup and there will be 16 groups for 16 european teams.

Uefa agreed to have only +2 +3 in a +16 competition but will never agree to have its lowest ranked nations disadvantaged for others confederations squads.

And the likes of chile colombia or uruguay wont want either that brazil or argentina got in advance the chance to play the likes of greece or bosnia when they got to play nigeria by example.

So both from commebol and uefa points of views what you said can't be fixed.

17. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Maybe will be 3 hats.

1-16 seeds
    17-32 middle tier
    33-48 lower tier

And no teams from same confederation in a group.

Simple as that.

Footsatt repped this.
  18. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I misread your post... I thought you meant 16 EURO team seeds.

Nicola777 repped this.
  19. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Seeds will be host + the 15 highest teams qualified in fifa ranking.

Right now taking the qualifiers and ranking situation
    It would be:

Brazil
    Argentina
    Germany
    Chile
    Colombia
    France
    Belgium
    Portugal
    Swiss
    Spain
    Poland
    Italia
    England
    Uruguay
    Mexico
    Croatia.

Something like that.
    I spared wales and peru as they will hardly make it.

Then you add the 32 remaining nations with the only rule that 2 nations from a same confederation can't be in same group.

Or they make a second hat and 3rd hat with rankings and still no teams from same confederation in a group.

20. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    You guys are thinking like "sportsmen", while in modern days you should think like both "sportsmen" and "businessmen". It is not about making the event "elite" (reverting to 16 someone said, no 3rd place play off - why not, these games produced some great encounters throughout the years: Poland-France 82, Italy-England 90, Croatia-Holland 98, Germany-Portugal 06, Germany-Uruguay 10 - were all spectacular games, why to give away great product?), and not about making the event "absolutely best sporting quality". Nowadays it is about balancing right between sport quality and entertainment quality which can be sold to as many sponsors and viewers alike. The goal is to have as many people around the world emotionally involved, and therefore caring for the event. In the end, having less teams (and most from UEFA and COMNEBOL) will not make people from parts of the world which never had a slight chance of getting in (like Asia or Africa) so interested in the event. However, if they see a chance for their teams to get in, they will not only care more for the event itself, but also for qualifying games, which is obviously what sponsors want.

No matter who wins WC in the end (usually known powerhouses), the level of the game generally improved around the world, which means even smaller teams can cause some difficulties to the bigger teams during WC and provide for exciting match (Algeria-Germany, Ghana-Germany) - they can rise their game to the occasion. FIFA calculates, that almost as many Germans or Brazilians will watch their game at WC versus let's say Ethiopia, as they would v Holland or Argentina, but many more in countries like Ethiopia will watch their team v Germany, than would watch Germany v Brazil...

Also thinking that you are able to succeed and reach a realistic goal (making to the WC), will make you to work harder and with more enthusiasm towards achieving that goal (that is on developing the game in Asian or African countries further), rather that thinking "this is impossible, we will never make it, why to put resources and time into it, let's downsize it".

Strenght of Football is its "egalitarianism" and "inclusicveness" not its being "elite".

The same can be said about European Club Football - it is currently so strong, because it is "inclusive" to a certain degree. Smaller teams in weaker leagues (like Poland, Czech, Croatian, Danish) try to develop and remain popular, because they have realistic hope of making CL or EL and facing Real or Man UTD. The moment, in which Elite Club League would be organized, it will be a slow death to football in Europe. Finally, I want to see Legia Warsaw, or FC Kopenhagen, or Sparta Prague to play v Real, Dortmund, Man Utd, etc. and not constantly be involved versus Lech, Broendby, or Victoria PIlzno only. Facing your own constantly does not make you to improve. It is so exciting for smaller clubs, because they have a small, yet realistic hope of playing v the best ones (unlike American Professional Leagues, which are pure "business" and "little sport" - they ere "exclusive" and "elite" - and this is why these sports develop little around the world and have smaller market share than Football).

Footsatt repped this.
  21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hypothetical seeds and groups (using FIFA rank to keep it simple). The draw I am guessing would be more random, I just went in order. And I am not sure if they would seed 3 host teams...

1 - 16 Top Seeds
    1 Mexico
    2 USA
    3 Canada
    4 Brazil
    5 Argentina

6 Germany
    7 Chile
    8 Colombia

9 France
    10 Belgium
    11 Portugal
    12 Switzerland
    13 Spain
    14 Poland
    15 Italy
    16 Wales

17 - 32 Pot 2
    17 England
    18 Uruguay
    19 Peru

20 Croatia
    21 Egypt
    22 Costa Rica
    23 Iceland
    24 Turkey
    25 Slovakia

26 Ecuador
    27 N Ireland
    28 Rep of Ireland

29 Iran
    30 Senegal
    31 Cameroon
    32 Burkina Faso

33 - 48 Pot 3
    33 Nigeria

34 Congo
    35 Tunisia
    36 Korea Rep
    37 Japan
    38 Ghana
    39 Cote d'ivoire
    40 Australia
    41 Saudia Arabia
    42 Uzbekistan

43 Morocco
    44 Panama

45 Uzbekistan
    46 Haiti
    47 United Arab Emirates
    48 New Zealand

Group A: 1 Mexico 17 England 33 Nigeria

Group B: 2 USA 20 Croatia 34 Congo

Group C: 3 Canada 23 Iceland 35 Tunisia

Group D: 4 Brazil 24 Turkey 36 Korea Rep

Group E: 5 Argentina 25 Slovakia 37 Japan

Group F: 6 Germany 18 Uruguay 38 Ghana

Group G: 7 Chile 27 N Ireland 39 Cote d'ivoire

Group H: 8 Colombia 28 Rep of Ireland 40 Australia

Group I: 9 France 19 Peru 41 Saudia Arabia

Group J: 10 Belgium 21 Egypt 42 Uzbekistan

Group K: 11 Portugal 22 Costa Rica 43 Morocco

Group L: 12 Switzerland 26 Ecuador 44 Panama

Group M: 13 Spain 29 Iran 46 Haiti

Group N: 14 Poland 30 Senegal 45 Uzbekistan

Group O: 15 Italy 31 Cameroon 47 United Arab Emirates

Group P: 16 Wales 32 Burkina Faso 48 New Zealand

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany, Uruguay and Ghana in one group, and Wales, Burkina Faso and NZ on another, another reason that this format sucks.

23. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said... the drawing would probably be more random. I went in order which obviously puts the weekest teams from each pot into the later groups.

Wales seeded 16th
    Burkina Faso placed 32
    and NZ placed 48

These 3 are the 3 weakest teams in each of the 3 groups. FIFA will make it a random drawing, and the odds of this happen are very slim.

FIFA typically does a random drawing... and like to make a production of it. I bet they do something similar. They will just have to make it so seeded teams (mainly EURO teams) don't have another EURO team drawn into it's group.

24. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    And we have an instant classic: Wales v NZ! What an ancient rivalry (and so what that in Rugby Union)! Almost everybody in Wales and NZ will watch this (in Burkina too), many in the UK and Australia will watch this, many in central Africa will watch this, some in Germany, Brazil, Iran, Chile, and India will watch this... It will not take away from Germany v Uruguay game, in fact will add to it, as the ones in Burkina and NZ will wonder how their Germany/Uruguay rival in next round will fare... People will enjoy this, cash will flow...