World Cup Expansion to 48 Teams (Update: FIFA Council Agrees 2026 Slot Allocation)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by shizzle787, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was that one incident in the 2002 Gold Cup where every game in the group w/Canada, Haiti and Ecuador ended with the same 2-0 scoreline, and the teams matched up on points, GD and GF. @EvanJ you or anyone else remember how that was settled?

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It can easily be both.

Firstly, there are 16 groups instead 8 and 3 matches per group instead of 6. That means mathematically the odds of 2 or more teams finishing with identical records increases many-fold (and same true about the odds for all teams in the group to finish tied).

Fact #2: its 48 teams instead of 32 so its watered-down. Sorry, but it just is. :cool:

Subjectively speaking, I would also argue if you had a group with these results...

France 3, Burkina Faso 0
    France 3, Uzbekistan 0
    Uzbekistan 1, Burkina Faso 1

...its both 'boring' and requiring, as you described it, an "unfair" tiebreaker. But of course boring is subjective.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3953 HomietheClown, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    It was also drawing of lots.
    I remember at the time thinking Ecuador lost to Haiti? They do not deserve to advance.
    I am sure the same mentality will apply in a 48 team World Cup. Managers all around the World will be saying if you cannot advance out of the Group stage in a "watered down" World Cup then you have no one to blame but yourselves for not doing enough to advance.

Conversely the Round of 32 will be so exciting to see. One more round of do-or-die nail biting matches will be fun for everyone to watch.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And there was another group where 2 teams finished with identical records in the same tournament! While 2002 seems like a long time ago, there will be as many 3 team groups in the WC as you had in 4 Gold Cup tournaments combined.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3955 HomietheClown, Apr 2, 2019
    You are trying to have it both ways and double down on it .
    That is fine.

I am saying that in reality a Group Stage will have people complaining no matter what as we saw with yellow cards being the tie breaker in Russia.
    Teams adjust, Managers adjust and fans have to adjust to the rules given.

In the Three team Group of the World Cup there will be a mixture of excitement and controversy and blowouts just like any other World Cup or tournament.

It will not be boring if the tie breakers (like shootouts) are used in my opinion. And if they are not used then that usually means the good teams are rising to the top and doing what they are expected to do.... ....put many goals up on the minnows.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3956 HomietheClown, Apr 2, 2019
    In this scenario I would be very excited if there is a shootout.
    The winner of the shootout will go through to the round of 32 which is very exciting to me.
    Much more exciting than seeing a draw and casting of lots or a team going out due to yellows.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much, much rather see that UZB-BFA game go down to penalties in case of a draw than the current fair play system - especially if Burkina Faso hypothetically came into the match with more cards. I could just see the Uzbeks playing for the draw and conspiracy theorists going into overdrive with racism allegations.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    "Having it both ways" is an expression that only applies to mutually exclusive things. I am not saying opposite/opposing things. The opposite of watered-down is elite-only, which is not what I am saying.

Whether the watering-down is good or bad a matter of opinion. Its fine if you think its good.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Having it both ways as in two things that I see as incompatible happening simultaneously. I can't see the tournament being boring with watered down teams while simultaneously having the odds of shootouts and tiebreakers being used go up.
    In my world it will be more exciting with the shootouts and the more controversy due to the tie breakers probably means less blowouts.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The mere fact that shootouts are being discussed as something that may be needed is proof that the odds of needing tiebreakers will go up.

As for the watering-down, expanding a tournament to include teams that previously weren't good enough to partake is literally the definition of 'watering-down'.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3961 HomietheClown, Apr 2, 2019
    It may be proof that the odds may go up but that won't be boring to me. It may be boring to you but I don't think I have ever heard someone say a shootout in a World Cup is boring.

As for the Watered down argument you are looking at it from last cycle to this cycle which is your prerogative.

I am looking at it from a different perspective. The FIFA perspective.

In 1982 we had about 27 percent of the Federations advance to the Finals out of the participating qualifying field.
    In a 48 team tournament it will be roughly about the same percentage. To me that is not watered down. It is progress.

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speak for yourself: Switzerland-Ukraine in '06 was excruciatingly boring from start to finish, and the shootout didn't help other than mercifully putting an end to that garbage.

That's clearly a tongue-in-cheek outlier :D

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first Gold Cup I watched was in 2005. The first World Cup Qualifiers I remember as they happened were for 2006. I followed the Hexagonal for 1998 and qualifying in every confederation starting with 2002, but I don't remember them. Anything before 2005 only know if I looked at standings. There are times when I go on Wikipedia and I'm disappointed that they don't have the tiebreakers for old competitions. I doubt CONCACAF has articles or Gold Cup regulations for 2002. I wonder if www.canadasoccer.com or the website from a Canadian newspaper can help.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Of course the shootout itself is not boring. But just because one game in a group went to a shootout doesn't mean the group games were riveting on-the-whole.

That's a bit of a red herring. If you take a country that qualified in 1982 and split that country into 6 pieces, none of the 6 countries are going to be as strong as the consolidated country.

Its not like another planet containing 50 countries became members of FIFA.

Not to mention the cherry-picking of 1982 - the last time the WC was expanded by 50% :whistling:

In any case, I can live with the watering-down. Its the format change that sucks more IMO.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But this expansion provides us with the shootouts that are exciting.
    Along with a "do or die" round of 32 that should be exciting.

No one is saying as a whole Group games will be riveting. I specifically said there will some exciting games, some blowouts some boring games, some controversy just like any tournament or any format provides..

17. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I agree with the second part of this - what I don't agree with is the need for fake shoot-outs in the group stage to somehow avoid the possibility that the groups will end up tied just in case other results go a certain way.

1) They only partially solve the problem. In the case where all the groups games are equal draws (say all 0-0), then three shoot-outs will split the teams in 50% of the time (what if each team wins a shoot-out and loses a shoot-out - you've added three penalty shoot-out to the tournament and solved nothing - "and, now Mexico win the shoot-out, meaning we now go to drawing of lots"). And, this could lead to the horrendous situation I will outline below.
    2) They aren't used at all in the case where all the group games are equal non-draws (say each team gets a 1-0 win and a 1-0 loss - you're now needing to tie-break). The point of rules surely is to deal equally with similar situations - this fails on this count.
    3) You enter them (particularly in say - game one) not knowing if they are actually going to count - meaning how do you feel at the end - it's just weird.
    4) As a result of 3, you are adding extra broadcast time that might mean nothing. Face it, this is not the Caribbean qualification stage for the Gold Cup where literally nobody is watching (no offence, but the fact they played a penalty shoot-out after Guadeloupe v Suriname is hardly on the same level as one between Argentina and Nigeria).
    5) If you take the way they did that Caribbean tournament (really don't - the implementation did more to damage the results of the tournament - changing the order teams would finish compared to normal rules etc) , they actually played extra time - good luck scheduling 6 games across a day if they don't just take just under 2 hours (including HT), but might extend to closer to 3! Again, this is the World Cup.
    6) The only case where it seems to make sense - and I would agree it would be nice to have the option in a sense - to have a shoot-out is where Team A (presumably seeds given other things) wins both their matches (say) 3-0 and then the other teams are heading for a draw. But then that's not a good rule to implement as you can't only apply in some situations and not others.
    7) It eliminates part of football - the draw - for no reason. In a knock-out tie the alternatives (a replay, even more extra time etc) are, sadly, just not an option. But here we have the standard option of other tiebreakers that we are already using. It might not be perfect, nothing is under the right conditions, but it is better than changing something fundamental to the game.

The very worst case scenario is this:
    Imagine we have shoot-outs a tie-breaker after each draw. Win a shoot-out and you get 2 pts, lose and you get 1 (those are the probable values - although they weren't what was used in the Caribbean results noted above - they used 3 and 0!!!! - but they are irrelevant to this scenario). Otherwise we assume normal tie-breakers, PTS, GD, GS and then (let's say) yellow cards.

Match 1 - Team A v Team B is 0-0, no yellow cards. Team A wins the shoot-out.
    Match 2 - Team B v Team C is 0-0, no yellow cards. Team B wins the shoot-out.
    Match 3 - Team C v Team A has ended 0-0, but team C has a 2 yellow cards and Team A has only one or two.

We now have to play the shootout (it's a draw and it's in the rules).

But Team C can't qualify if they win the shoot-out because we'll need to go to yellow cards - and they are the worst on that ranking.

And now you don't just have a problem - you have an unprecedented nightmare scenario. What is the point for Team C - how do you tell them to actually try - "Hey guys, you've just been tragically eliminated - please take some penalty kicks now - it' s of vital importance for the tournament as a whole to know who wins the shoot-out between you and Team A".. How do you explain that to the 2 billion people watching on TV - "And now, here comes the Team C captain, who announced that he would be retiring after the World Cup - his career already over, tears in his eyes, he now steps forward to take a penalty kick that means literally Sweet FA to him now".

(And note, that even though Team C are out Team A's position is uncertain - win the shoot-out and presumably they win the group on points, lose it and they finish 2nd if they have one yellow card and have to go to another tie-breaker if they have now. I don't even know which would be worse here, I'll leave that up to you).

Now you could argue that we already have situations on matchday 3 where a team that has already been eliminated has to play another team who really cares about the result - but surely the fact you are doing something that is not really part of the standard game (a shoot-out) straight after the emotional end to the actual match when they have given their all is putting this into a very different situation - one which can only make football look really, really stupid.

J

EvanJ, unclesox and Pipiolo repped this.
  18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The penalty shootout between France and Brazil at WC86 was an absolute thriller in line with an all-time classic of a match.
    The penalty shootout between Ukraine and Swiss at WC06 was just as forgettable rubbish as the match itself.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3969 Paul Calixte, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    There's an easy way to resolve that - mind you, I said easy, not fair or preferable. :D

FIFA can stipulate that besides all draws going to PKs, if the final match in the group ends in a result that leaves all three sides even on PTS, GD, GF and H2H (i.e. no "fair play" tiebreaker), that it should go to a shootout. The team not involved finishes 2nd in the group; the shootout winner wins the group and the loser gets eliminated.

This works out simply enough in the absence of draws...

Team A 1-0 Team B
    Team C 1-0 Team A
    Team B 1-0 Team C

Here, the final match goes to a shootout: the winner B/C wins the group, A finishes 2nd and the B/C loser goes home.

Now, in the case of draws, let's pause the following group at full-time on Matchday 3, before the shootout:

Team A* 0-0 Team B
    Team C* 0-0 Team A
    Team B 0-0 Team C

* won the tiebreaking shootout

The live group standings (2 pts for shootout wins):

Team C 3 +0 0
    Team A 3 +0 0
    Team B 2 +0 0

With one more point on offer via the shootout, things are clear: if Team C wins the shootout, they take the group w/4 pts and B goes bye-bye. If Team B wins the shootout, it triggers the FIFA stipulation: B wins the group (by virtue of having won the decisive last shootout), A finishes 2nd and C goes home.

Now, this ignores the bigger issue of a biscotto between teams B and C during the 90 minutes, since any draw with goals eliminates Team A. Now that I think about it, even playing this game simultaneously with the last match in the adjacent group doesn't help matters, since a draw with goals leaves 1st place up for grabs during the shootout at the end (i.e. plenty of time for the teams to decide which R32 opponent/path to the Final they prefer). Way to go, FIFA! I don't see how you distract or convince teams B and C in this scenario not to settle for a safe 1-1.

EDIT: I was going to just erase the above paragraph and rewrite my thoughts, but I actually want to leave it there as a reminder of our biggest fear with these groups and how the FIFA stipulation + extra point for shootout wins helps to resolve it.

With the same first two results (Team A* 0-0 Team B, Team C* 0-0 Team A), let's rewind to the group standings at the outset of Matchday 3:

Team A 3 +0 0
    Team C 2 +0 0
    Team B 1 +0 0

Here, there is no result after 90 minutes that eliminates Team A, since Team B would still have to win the shootout - facing a zero-sum game, as Team C would go into the shootout with 1st place in their hands. The only possible biscotto here is if Team C finds out in real time who the 2nd-placer from the adjacent group is, get spooked and decides to throw the shootout - which would frankly be an unprecedented act of cowardice.

HomietheClown repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3970 HomietheClown, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Very rarely in international competitions do we get three consecutive scores in a Group that are exactly the same. Especially in World Cups when you have such a difference in culture, team styles, pace of the game, different referees from around the world, different coaching strategies, etc.

And in a field of 48 teams I would venture to say we don't have to worry about it all that much.

Sure, there could be a Group with England-Chile-Cameroon and we get the same exact scoreline in each match with each team winning a shootout but as we have seen in 4 team Groups there's silly ways to differentiate who goes into the next round like yellow card accumulation.

Would it really be that much of a step backwards if we use Paul Calixte's tie breaker rule????

What about if we did something like teams with the best percentage of making their spot kicks in shootouts goes through? Would that really be much worse than yellow card tie breakers?

I think not.
    FIFA can make up whatever tie breaker rule they want and people will live with it and move on.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Heck, they may even keep the fairplay card rule and use that as a tie breaker for all I know.
    :ROFLMAO:

22. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So if Team A is leading Team B 3-0 after three spot kicks, have both teams finish off their two remaining kicks even though the outcome of the match has been settled?
    That just adds another monkey wrench into the entire equation.

EvanJ repped this.
  23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And "people will live with it and move on". :thumbsup:

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And mind you, it's not a novelty: UEFA had that same rule in effect for Euro 2008. If you watched the group stage match between Turkey and the Czech Republic, you may have remembered the commentators rambling pretty much the entire game about how if it had ended in a draw, the two sides would immediately have gone to penalties to determine who would join Portugal in the quarterfinals.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I would still prefer that over a PK shootout. The team with more yellow cards tends to be the more negative one. Not always but usually. Plus the 'yellow-card' tiebreaker will always come after goal difference and goals scored.

What worries me about having PKs is they might decide to give the winner of the PK shootout 2 points and the loser get 1 point. Which would elevate the outcome of the shootout above goal difference as the first tiebreaker.