World Cup Expansion to 48 Teams (Update: FIFA Council Agrees 2026 Slot Allocation)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by shizzle787, Dec 4, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3526 HomietheClown, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Yes. I Would prefer that over a 48 World Cup in an ideal world and many others here have also discussed this topic you have brought up.
    Unfortunately that is not an option.
    When it comes to the World Cup Money is king. And the way to get more money is by playing more games with more teams in the actual tournament.
    That said, I am such a fanatic I will watch every game and smile and wait and see how it plays out before ragging on it and complaining as many here seem to do preemptively.

elviejomen repped this.
  2. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    Nowdays, there's a tendancy many countries come together to host some international competitions. A 48-teams FIFA World cup is making at leat 3 countries to bid. There're fewer countries to go it alone.

Other possible hosts countries:
    England-Scotland-Wales-Northern Ireland

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More Regional World Cups is a concept Infantino has been pushing since before he was elected. So it does seem to me that joint bids will probably be the norm going forward

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3529 Paul Calixte, Dec 10, 2017
    To revisit an earlier conversation:

You all are generally convinced that flying a team to a different venue (potentially cross-country) just to maybe participate in a tiebreaker shootout is a bad idea...and I can't really disagree.

How about this? FIFA stipulates in the tournament regulations that if the last match of a group ends with a scoreline leaving all three teams tied on points, GD and GF, the team not involved automatically finishes 2nd, while the teams involved continue to a penalty shootout: winner finishes 1st, loser goes home.

If we had a scenario like:

Team A 1-0 Team B
    Team B 1-0 Team C

Then teams A and C would play on Matchday 3 knowing that a 1-0 win by Team C would trigger this rule and send them to PKs.

Ditto if the games are draws:

Team A 1-1 Team B, Team A wins the PK tiebreaker
    Team B 1-1 Team C, Team B wins the PK tiebreaker

If Teams C and A tie 1-1, then the rule would be triggered, Team B would finish second, and they would to go the spot understanding that Team C winning on PKs would send them top of the group and A on their way home.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I believe that Team "B" should be the highest seed in the Group.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not a bad idea.

Although your example also highlights what a disadvantage team B has. They are a sitting duck. The other two could conspire to a 2-1 result and both advance. This is a much bigger problem than anything to do about PKs and tiebreakers, and its not solvable (except by going back to 4-team groups).

HansWorldCup, Paul Calixte and unclesox repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the money comes with TV money.

Finding a way for China, India and perhaps Indonesia to qualify consistently would mean lots of money for FIFA.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The television money was not only implied it was mentioned a lot earlier in the thread.
    Television Networks can charge more money to sponsors with more games and with one more round of do-or-die situations (a round of 32 which is single elimination) which add buzz and excitement and in turn higher ratings expected. (Which is more chips to bargain with.)

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3534 ceezmad, Dec 10, 2017
    Yeah, but the group inventory is diluted, also the round of 32 will have relatively shit match ups.

It happens even now, but it is something that tv networks will deal with by pushing crappy games to stations like FS2.

The real money is getting countries to bid in the first place (or bidding more).

Just like FIFA now makes tons of money from the USA because we usually qualify. I am sure FIFA execs also want that from China, 48 teams should help China get to the WC on a consistent basis.

But 64 may not be enough for India, they really do svck.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Either way you slice it or spin it, having more teams in the tournament makes more money. Keeping it at 32 with more intercontinental playoffs as mentioned in the post I was replying to does not.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it is the trade off between money and quality.

Keeping at 32 with more intercontinental playoffs is the best for quality and what I would prefer.

64 teams is the best for money, it keeps the format the same with one extra round, but it dilutes quality a lot and qualifying would be a joke.

48 is a compromise between the 2, but the format of 3 teams per group is shit. I would prefer 12 groups of 4, then all 1st place and the top 4 second place advance to the next round.

Shit, top 2 advance and then the 8 best 3rd places advancing would be better than the shitty 3 team groups.

jagum, BocaFan, unclesox and 1 other person repped this.
  12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, and at some point dilution kills quality enough to kill value. You can put water in wine to get more wine, but at some point the wine sucks enough that you don't want it.

unclesox and Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agreed! Life is too short to drink Bud Light. And we're gonna get a case of that shit every 4 years starting 2026. :cry:

Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The thing is, once expanded, it's impossible to reduce it again. No matter if in 2026, the 48-team format proves itself bad, FIFA won't be in position to retreat back to 32 teams because that would be blocked by confederations.

The most likely scenario is actually what happened when the World Cup was expanded from 16 to 24 teams: once the tournament looked awkward enough, it was expanded to 32 teams. I wouldn't be surprized if the world cup would soon be expanded to 64 teams, maybe as soon as 2030 or 2034.

15. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    And how many countries will be able to organize a 48 or 64 team World Cup?
    Everybody's is running with the "more teams means a real world cup" cliche... as long as it's organized in their country. How is it a "real world cup" if most of the world has no chance in hell of organizing one?

ceezmad and condor11 repped this.
  16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    China better make the 2026 WC..otherwise it would all have been for nothing

using the qualifiers how they ended for the 2018 WC, would china have made this WC with 48 teams?

They finished 5th in their group and assuming AFC get 8 direct spots at the most then they would not have made it

Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Australia
    Syria, UAE and Uzbekistan

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    China didn't finish in the top 8 in AFC qualifying since they actually qualified for the World Cup in 2001 (when S. Korea, Japan and Australia did not partake in AFC qualifying)!

They still won't qualify consistently under the expanded WC format, but obviously it will help them qualify from time-to-time.

18. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Easy fix - only group winner progress. :ROFLMAO: No sitting ducks, no dead rubbers - unless top seed plays on days 1 and 2 and wins both times.

19. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    I'm creating a schedule for a 48-teams FIFA World Cup. The main goal is to have 80 matches within 32 days.

Day Matchs
    1 A1
    2 B1, C1, D1
    3 E1, F1, G1, H1
    4 I1, J1, K1, L1
    5 M1, N1, O1, P1
    6 A2, B2, C2, D2
    7 E2, F2, G2, H2
    8 I2, J2, K2, L2
    9 M2, N2, O2, P2
    10 A3, B3, C3, D3
    11 E3, F3, G3, H3
    12 I3, J3, K3, L3
    13 M3, N3, O3, P3
    14 4*R-32
    15 4*R-32
    16 4*R-32
    17 4*R-32
    18 Rest Day
    19 4*R-16
    20 4*R-16
    21 Rest Day
    22 Rest Day
    23 2*QF
    24 2*QF
    25 Rest Day
    26 Rest Day
    27 Semi-Final
    28 Semi-Final
    29 Rest Day
    30 Rest Day
    31 3rd Place Game
    32 Final

A1: Group A Game 1
    A2: Group A Game 2
    A3: Group A Game 3

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a Rest Day between the group stage and the R32...for which I'd have A1, B1, C1 and D1 on the same day. Remember that these WCs will likely have multiple hosts, so there's no need to have one single match on opening day.

21. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Group 'P'...... goodness gracious.

AlbertCamus and BocaFan repped this.
  22. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The next expansion will probably be to 64 and 4 team groups so I guess group P may be the highest we see for a while.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't wait for group "AA" ...

unclesox and Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The same issues arise whether 1 or 2 teams advance from each group of 3. I would argue the issues actually become more highlighted when only the group winner advances on.

25. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    for those who want to get a "feeling" what a 48 team world cup format will look like, should get a read into the the CAN 1992 competition.

They wanted to increase from 8 but didn't dare to raise to 16 and came out with 4 groups with 3 teams where the top 2 of each group advance to the quarter finals.

This is quite similar to the new world cup format.

and the result?

* 34 goals in 20 matches, which is an averade of 1,7....i don't remember a tournament with a lesser average.

* in group b. morocco lost the 1st match 0-1 to cameroon and drew the 2nd with zaire 0-0 so zaire and cameroon both knew they can afford a draw in the last match, and it finished 1-1

Of course, the immediately shifted to a 16 team format in 1994.

oh, fifa....you could have 8 last matchday thrillers with 3 simulcast matches in my proposed "8 hexagonals of 6 teams with 2 pools of 3 teams in each" format, but you decided on this boring stuff. you will get a gruesome tournament for it.

NaBUru38 repped this.