World Cup Book

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by andygus, May 23, 2003.

1. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    The book I have written, 23 Days in Korea: An American at the World Cup is finally availible! Fot those who went to Korea, it should bring back great memories. For those who wished they had gone, it will show you what you missed. For those who are hoping to go to Germany, it will provide you a glimpse of what you are in for. For all other American fans, I hope you will check it out as I believe you will enjoy it.

You can take a look at it as well as order it at www.trafford.com/robots/03-0694.html

It was a long time in the making and I am happy to finally have it out.

-- ---Andy Gustafson

2. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    thanks! i will consider buying it. good reading material on the way to games when Our Way doesnt cover the entire trip.

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That movie makes me cry.
    Congrats on the book though!

4. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Andy, are you wearing a Polish jersey in that picture?

5. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    Yes, that is me in the Polish jersey. I traded my US Shirt for it after that game. It was a great shirt, but for some stupid reason, I traded it for a World Cup Steward shirt probably only minutes after the photo was taken.

6. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    World Cup steward shirt....great score.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, but the steward lightwands are even cooler!

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Speaking of books --- why is "The Game Of Their Lives" being sold on Amazon for $150 or more? Puzzling.

9. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    Wow, $150 for that. It was a fine book and all, maybe I should be charging more for 23 Days!
    There is a cool review on the Sam's Army site. Check it out:

www.sams-army.com

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I wouldn't call that stupid--if you really want a Poland shirt you can buy one from the Bigsoccer store or Eurosport, but a World Cup Steward shirt is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

11. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    Wow, $150 for that. It was a fine book and all, maybe I should be charging more for 23 Days!
    There is a cool review on the Sam's Army site. Check it out:

www.sams-army.com

12. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    I certainly agree, it is just the steward shirt is kind of small and the Poland jersey was very cool, real good looking, and I had traded for it.

There is a pretty good story about the whole jersey trading thing in the book.

13. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Funny, I did exactly the same thing, traded a Polski jersey for the fluorescent yellow Steward's jersey. Was lucky to get Donovan to autograph it a few weeks back and he absolutely loved it. Keep hold of it, it is a unique momento.

14. BoulderBuck

BoulderBuck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 11, 1999
    New York
    tease us with the opening of the mexico match why dont you!! You are making me want to buy it. don't tell me who wins!!

15. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I was thinking of buying the book, as after looking at the cover photo I remembered meeting Andy in Korea. Then last night a bunch of us got together to watch the Turkey game at Andy's house (different Andy, and one of the guys I went to the World Cup with), and he had a copy. As I was thumbing through it randomly, I saw a mention of my name. So now I guess I have to buy a copy.

Lesson to all you would be authors out there - put my name in a book and you're pretty much guaranteed to sell at least one copy.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Correction: I only paid $180 for my suit!

[​IMG]

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That photo was taken at the now famous Dong-Il.

According to my Credit Card bill, Wade and I spent 8 days with a room in Suwon called "The Gland Motel".

You just can't make this stuff up.

18. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this sounds pretty damn cool
    thanks for your shameless self promotion :D

19. chkorea2

chkorea2 New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Andy:
    I'll pass the picture on to the adjumas who run the Dong-il. I'll be there Weds on my way out to Bangkok for my annual month in the sun on Ko Samui.

If anybody has pictures from the place let me know I'm sure the adjumas would love to see them. I'll likely be there again in Aug

20. chkorea2

chkorea2 New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    A review of the book

I promised Andy a review of the book so here goes:

I must say at the outset that I cannot be totally objective about this book. Somehow, I became a major character in the book and, unfortunately, I come across as some kind of loud, obnoxious buffoon. This is extremely upsetting given the fact that I tried really hard to help everyone coming over to Korea. Since I live here, I knew a disaster was awaiting most soccer tourists so I tried to help out however I could. Apparently, that doesn't count for anything when you are a buffoon.

My advice, don't waste your money--I wish I hadn't.

21. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I have to buy this book.

22. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    Re: A review of the book

Chuck, c'mon, you are loud and obnoxious. You gotta realize that we all went to Korea intending to have a good time. You constantly criticized the Koreans when everyone was trying to be obvious. You were THAT guy. Anyway, You advice was somewhat invaluable. WE ALL THANK YOU FOR THAT. Chuck, you may not remember me but I'll never forget you.

That said. This book is a must have, especially if you were at the Cup and didn't keep a journal. I wanted to but I was too drunk and lazy. Andy stepped up and did it for me. Don't listen to Chuck, no one who knows him does!

23. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought the book last night. Maybe i'll read it....

24. chkorea2

chkorea2 New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: Re: A review of the book

some people I know in Sams Army are right, most of you are obnoxious jerks, the proof is in the pudding here

last time i do anything to help anybody. Get your Lonely Planet books for 2006, you'll need them. I won't encourge people to help out thats for sure

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Best line of the book so far (I've gotten about a third of the way through):

"I was pretty disappointed, but if you want good Mexican food, you have to go to San Francisco not Soeul."

Hey Andy, ever heard of Cozumel, Guadalajara, Mexico City, Mazatlan, and other cities in Mexico?

:)