World Cup anticipation, Feb–May 2019

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by sbahnhof, Feb 9, 2019.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    The draw is over. Now it's the time for experimental line-ups and overconfidence!

[​IMG]

Which teams are looking strongest at the moment?

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, my doubt is that teams that look too much strong right now, at about 4 months from the actual WWC, could flop in June. The moment to peak is not right now, but a little later throughout the year. :coffee:

Having said that, France look brilliant and they are the host, so they have to be counted among the favourites. They have an history of failures in big tournaments, though, that can't be easily discounted...

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Overconfidence? If BS posters are anything to go by, everyone dunks on all the perceived shortcomings of their own team until and unless they actually overperform. X'-D
    And don't forget the WWC Hosts Quarterfinal Curse! ;-D
    I definitely agree with this part... Even after all the spring tournaments are done, it's hard to tell who's best suited to make a deep run in the upcoming WWC

I'm also a bit more interested (at the moment) in seeing which minnows and mid-tier teams are gonna make the group stage interesting.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #4 sbahnhof, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:57 PM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 12:09 AM
    Re: Overconfidence - you're right, but look outside of our sensible bigsoccer bubble. The overconfidence is rising everywhere around the globe!

Canada "can win against any team on any given day", England: "I have a team that's ready to win", Sweden "can handle the best team in the world", Scotland "can go from underdogs to serious contenders", Australia...well don't ask Australia right now. ..... Real overconfidence is saying "we will win". Teams tend to say "we can win", so they aren't sued by angry fans. But they can't all be right.

[​IMG] I didn't really think the Reggae Girlz would even make it, having been the world #64 team, but Jamaica did it, with a little help from the qualifying system. So, maybe Jamaica will top their group :D (They "can" top the group)

Also, they've got this song to see them through

Lechus7 repped this.