WORLD CUP 2026 - General N&A and Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporting the MNT before 1994 must have been horrible. I don't how people like you did it, given what people thought of the sport in the country back then.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    In 1992 and 1993 we had some good results. We beat England 2-0. Alexi Lalas scored. I had our 4-3 loss to West Germany on VCR and watched it 20 times. All summer vacation.

Wynalda and Klinsmann scored in that game I believe. Everyone hated on soccer openly though, you’re right. That part was lame. I feel like it changed a lot more after 2002 where soccer was acceptable. Now every kid watches Messi and Ronaldo highlights on their phone.

largegarlic, orcrist and Marko72 repped this.
  3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    They just got a good clip to watch today!

TKyle repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe he can get some new talent for Galaxy.

6. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To get scores, I would call the Federation and ask for the PR guy. Then he'd give me a rundown: "Eichmann had one cleared off the line." In fact, we'd write to each other with ideas. I've saved the letters.

There was coverage of the Olympic qualifiers leading up to the Seoul games. That team was decent. And during to the run up to 94 there were several extremely high profile friendlies beyond the US Cup.

Man, I remember driving to a mob-run nightclub to see a game to be played in the early afternoon. I had called before hand, and the friendly proprietor said, "Yeah, come on up, kid. I'll find that game for you." We arrived just as he was messing with his huge assortment of satellite dishes. The novice cook came out with the prop's meal, a supposedly healthy chicken dish. The prop took one small bite and said, "What did I tell you? Garlic powder not garlic salt! Come on, huh. Thanks, though. I'll eat it. "

7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Lmao

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #109 Excellency, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Saharan Africa has phosrock reserves that match the rest of the world combined.

Complete fertilizer is Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potash (abbreviated as NPK).

that is the combination that supports all plant life on planet earth. Phosrock is a finite mineral.

I was just trying to explain why some countries might have a perfectly appreciative relationship with Morocco.https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/phosphorus-plant-growth.htm

https://allyouneedisbiology.wordpress.com/tag/world-phosphate-rock-reserves/

But, fine, join the USA "arrogance" club with Bruce Arena as chairman, lol

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    While I'm very happy to once again host the WC (watching the WC live in 1994 was a memory of a lifetime and revolutionary in terms of the sport in my country), I will admit that I HATE the new tournament format that they are introducing. The current 32 teams, 4 teams in each group is a nearly ideal format, and just broad enough to give a bit of representation to all regions in the world without terribly squeezing Europe and South America. 48 teams will introduce a lot of mediocrity, and format itself is awkward and suspect.

RalleeMonkey, schrutebuck and Hexa repped this.
  11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only concern with the 48 team format is that you have extremely small margin for error. Even one mistake in one game can possibly cost you qualification more than ever before.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    True, but it eliminates a lot of lame duck third games and 2 out of 3 advance so you essentially get a mulligan.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    With us being seeded, anything less than advancing would be a bigger failure than not qualifying for 18. We will avoid the top 15 teams in the world and will hopefully get one of the really crappy third tier teams that only got in because of the expansion.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 14, unless Canada REALLY improves... :)

Marko72 repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Latest interview with Victor Montagliani

Starts at 1:23:00 mark

He's confirming that the countries have total control over the bidding process. However, once the bid is over, FIFA takes control of the tournament and decides the format, number of games and where they will be played.

jagum and Winoman repped this.
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ^^^^^
    Link to interview
    1084794900091207686 is not a valid tweet id

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."

Yep, that was the attitude in the 80s.

18. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, do I miss this show. I binged watched this whole series in high school (graduated in 2014)

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in the same neighborhood that Judge did where Dallas, Garland and Richardson come together and my neighbors could have been on that show. remember a few nights them hanging around their driveway drinking beer talking about the new guns he had for sale at gun shows. Luckily my room was on the other side of the house.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Straight trash. Unbelievably inept. It’s like they hired the idiots who did our ghastly white jersey’s for the World Cup and then tied one hand behind their backs and blind folded them. Putrid and embarrassing.

majspike and xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, those weren't nearly as lazy as this logo is.

23. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Does scream “placeholder logo”

majspike, grandinquisitor28 and Kirium repped this.
  24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    one would hope. I've seen better bubble letters and numbers from 7th grade projects years ago. It's ludicrous.

25. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It’s going to have to be inclusive of all three countries.

They may be choosing to remove all character rather than to risk alienating one country.

We could see a marketing approach similar to Apple-plus-Nike: simple boring.

Winoman repped this.