WORLD CUP 2026 - General N&A and Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, Jun 13, 2018.

1. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think that's the other dimension to the deliberation process concerning the venues. In addition to geography, stadium quality, accessibility of stadiums, etc., you have to consider who owns the stadium and how connected they are to MLS/USSF. I really doubt that stadiums affiliated with MLS owners get cut.

And I'm not saying that this is part of the alleged grand conspiracy with SUM/MLS/USSF. If we're choosing between having games in Dallas and enriching Jerry Jones and having games at Foxboro and enriching Bob Kraft, I'm OK saying that Kraft wins the tiebreaker because of his greater support of the game in this country.

Winoman repped this.
  2. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's not "trash", but it's a hard to get to stadium in the middle of nowhere (i.e. halfway between SF and San Jose) with very little public transit access and a huge "sun in their eyes" problem mid-afternoon for the east side seats.

If the west coast only gets one other city besides LA, CenturyLink Field in Seattle is much better in pretty much every way you can think of, even though SF is the more iconic tourist destination.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, he was Honorary Chairman of the Bid Committee.

Game. Set. Match.

juveeer repped this.
  4. LeYankee

LeYankee New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 20, 2017
    I suspect the baby mama model half his age is counting on him not being a factor by 2026.

5. LeYankee

LeYankee New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 20, 2017
    RFK is highly unlikely to exist anymore by then. That land is way too valuable for a stadium that is far past its prime and has no tenant.

TKyle repped this.
  6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree, but it's top of the line in terms of VIP amenities, which goes a long way in these kinds of decisions.

7. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    With a narrow field.

8. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that we have the world cup locked up, I'd like to see US soccer operate heavily in the red for the next 8 years. Borrow as much money as the market will bear and spend it on youth development. Make tickets to national team games affordable. Spend money on advertising just for the sake of making soccer more popular. Do whatever it takes to win dual nationals. US soccer should be teetering on bankruptcy by the time this thing starts. The amount of money they will rake in on the World Cup will be disgusting.

ifsteve, schrutebuck, 2in10 and 4 others repped this.
  9. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    I don't mind the thinking of building up for something big. How much does the host nation benefit financially? Anyone know the cut or revenue structure?

10. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 manfromgallifrey91, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    https://www.totalsportek.com/football/fifa-world-cup-2018-prize-money/
    Here is the prize money break down for this year. In there it mentions FIFA made a 100 million dollar legacy payment to Brazil. And I remember them saying it generated about a billion in revenue for the country (hotels and such). Looking for how much was solely given to their FA though.

kickin365 repped this.
  11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few thoughts and questions.
    The 16 groups of 3 is a done deal. Personally I don’t like it, but oh well.
    As for the host stadiums, I’m pretty sure the three in CAN and the 3 in MEX are set. The question is: what about our 10? Lots of factors in those selections. While I sort of get the idea of moving west to east, I can’t see the final being at 80K Met Life when the Rose Bowl and Jerry World Stadia have 90-100K capacities. What’s the capacity of the new LA NFL stadium?
    As for team bases, how did they do it in ‘94? I think “it is what it is”; certain sides had to travel a lot in 2014 (USA had the most miles for group games, IIRC) and have to do so in Russia. Goes with the territory if the host nation(s) are geographically large.

12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thing: I don’t get the nations that voted for Morocco (except for the African nations). Surely the extra $ from the US (primarily) hosting would be more $ pouring into those federations than the amount a bribe for their vote would be. Is it a “F you” to the USA?

13. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro

Well, to be honest, not much. This is a FIFA event FIFA makes the big bucks

2014 WC
    Revenue US$ 4.8 billion
    Total prize money US$ 576 million
    Fifa profit US$ 2.6 billion

Most of the revenue was from broadcasting and marketing rights

Total revenue 4.8 billion
    TV rights 2.4 billion
    Marketing rights 1.5 billion
    Ticketing 527 million
    Hospitality rights 184 million
    Licensing rights 107 million
    source: https://resources.fifa.com/mm/docum...istration/02/56/80/39/fr2014weben_neutral.pdf (page 37)

The national association does not get a cut in the TV rights or in ticket sales. They can make some money if they are able to get new national team sponsor or renegotiate existing ones

Here is what FIFA says is the benefit for hosting: https://www.fifa.com/governance/competition-organisation/benefits-of-bidding.html

Now Fifa did create a US$ 100 million world cup legacy fund for Brazil, but FIFA controls the money and chooses which projects to invest https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/vg4tkgsofkd5bguiprms.pdf

So, if someone is expecting a windfall for ussoccer it won't happen directly from hosting the world cup. But raising the profile of the game and the national team might help increase the revenue over the years (and you might get a legacy fund also).

kickin365 repped this.
  14. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US soccer got about $50M from the world cup in 1994, or roughly $80-85M in todays dollars. That doesn't count sponsorships. I don't see why it wouldn't be at least triple that, plus sponsorship money will be a lot higher now.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-19/sports/sp-52028_1_world-cup

kickin365 and Hexa repped this.
  15. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    In 1994 they tried to keep early matches near for some of the teams, especially for those with perceived ethnic following. What’s more, they placed the bigger names in groups tied to those ethnicities. For example, the Italians were placed in NY/NJ and were based in Jersey. Ireland had matches in Boston. Germany in Chicago. I doubt they would do such a thing now, but there was criticism about fan travel across the country for the international fans. Will be even harder across three countries. That said I would imagine they’d try to somehow make it so you didn’t play in Montreal and then Mex City and then Seattle.

Hexa repped this.
  16. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    '94 was good. two games in the same place and travel to the last group game. They seem to divide the country into three region west, mid, east. Brazil never played in the East region, only west and mid (most of the time in west)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup

Brazil stayed in Los Gatos, California and had a good time: https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/07...downtown-los-gatos-during-the-1994-world-cup/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake...Cup-fever-in-1994-12992047.php#photo-15717537

I imagine Italy had to have more than one base camp, their group was based in NE

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the bid book, all 23 proposed stadiums have a listed field size of 68x105 m (approximately 74x115 yards). Despite the variable range of field sizes allowed in the Laws of the Game, FIFA's World Cup regulations require this exact size, and a good number of the proposed venues can't fit that size in their current state. Assuming FIFA doesn't waive the requirement, I'd have to assume the organizers intend to make the necessary modifications to fit the field.

18. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I don't get where this 50mm came from, a follow up article

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-28/sports/sp-55729_1_world-cup

says: "The profit is split, with 30% going to the local organizing committee and 70% to the national soccer federations." So I guess it used to be the case that local committee would get 30% (which is fair) but this did not happen in Brazil at all. I wish CBF had 30% of 2.6 billion (780 million) to spend in developing the game here.

19. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I checked FIFA 2014 and 2010 financial reports for money going to local organizing committee.

Basically FIFA does give money to the local committee to cover the costs of organazing a WC (this is not anymore a percentage of the profit). South Africa got USD 526 million and spent USD 516 million, so they had a profit of 10 mil. Brazil got USD 453 million and we spent it all.

Both SA and Brazil did get a legacy fund of USD 100 million (controled by FIFA).

So in the case for US 2026 it is a question of how efficient will you spend the money and the size of the legacy fund

20. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    I remember Italy and Ireland played in the Meadowlands and the crowd was insane. Very heavy Irish turnout and I think the Irish won that group game. Also odd that Mexico played on the east coast instead of west coast.

If memory serves, turnout for these matches was really high and the weather was fortunately very sunny at most venues but also very hot (matches were midday, I think for European audiences). Will be interesting if they again play at midday or move to cooler evenings at least for the hot outdoor locations.

Hexa repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    This decision is a bigger win than T&T was a loss. Soccer in this country is North America. We are the dollar signs. Sunil took a shot and had it back-fire, but he was a big part.

For those of us who remember the years before 1994...nobody can say a thing to me for 8 years because the Word Cup will be here.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Zlatan schmoozing in Moscow today.

Then I saw LAG have a game tomorrow.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Absolutely. It's too bad, though, that we were stuck with the skinny pitch for Copa.

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Holy random post, Jond-man!

Z must know that Russians far prefer playing hooky to soccer. Welcome to jet LAG!

25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Schweinsteiger will be long retired by then. I would have liked to see if he can help the Chicago Fire win the World Cup.

TOAzer, Winoman and 2in10 repped this.