World Cup 2022 Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been sitting on this information for a bit--mostly as a courtesy to a source but partially because I don't think anyone would have believed me. The initial referees called in for a pre-World Cup 2022 seminar are at the below link, published by FIFA.

There is one important--massive, really--caveat: this is not the list of all referees considered for WC 2022. To start, the list is dynamic (recall that Marrufo was never technically on the list for WC 2018, but played his way in). Second, this list for the referee section appears to only consider referees who have not already been to the World Cup. So, for example, I can say with 100% confidence that Marrufo is a candidate. As is Ramos (MEX). As is Turpin (FRA). If a 2018 World Cup referee was 41 or under, they are definitely a candidate for 2022 unless they have or plan to retire.

With that said, the list so we can get to the big news: http://kronikasedziowska.blogspot.com/2019/01/fifa-seminars-for-referees-list-of.html

Note that each confederation is calling in referees to train specifically for the VAR-only position. For some confederations, like CAF, it's about ensuring some of their top referees are well-trained in VAR (recall Africa has no VARs in the last World Cup). For UEFA and CONMEBOL, it's a mixture of veterans like Makkelie and Vigliano who can train others coupled with younger referees who will have the VAR route be their entry into the World Cup.

But look at CONCACAF. Five MLS officials are in the mix. This is sensible, because MLS has been doing VAR longer than anyone except the Dutch league. But of the three "Americans," one is a referee who just left the FIFA list, one is in his 50s and left the FIFA list years ago, and one is not an American. Then you tack on the two Canadian FIFAs. I'd say that Geiger is already having influence. It makes sense for such experienced officials to potentially play a role at a World Cup. But it's a huge moment for FIFA to consider non-FIFA referees to work the World Cup. Either there will be an exception for CONCACAF or a VAR badge--likely requiring direct certification with FIFA--will be created in the next couple years. I suspect he latter will occur.

The big question, of course, is who will make it to the World Cup from the US/MLS. On the VAR-side, I have no idea. On the referee side, I still think it will be Marrufo only; Elfath and Villarreal will probably have an opportunity at the U20s or U17s this year, but I don't think they have a good path to get there-we'll see. An expansion to 48-teams would immediately change things, but right now I think it's the Marrufo trio and then a handful of MLS VARs in the pole position to go to Qatar.

YoungRef87 and chwmy repped this.
  2. ocagrad16

ocagrad16 New Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Jul 22, 2017
    Interesting... Other than Jurisevic, the other VARs haven't had a ton of assignments.
    According to PRO's site Fischer has only done 11 VAR assignments, Gantar has done 19, Kelly has only done 9, Jurisevic has done 44, and Stott has done 15.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Gantar's number is that low; he and Jurisevic have been, in my opinion, the "experts" since day one.

The vast majority of Fischer's VAR assignments came since August. It's almost like someone knew getting two Canadians on this list was a possibility so he started getting more experience.

Stott makes total sense. He's attended a World Cup and he completely understands the system on both ends. It's a surprise given his age, but if you were to pick a handful of people that you were comfortable sending to a FIFA event despite not being active FIFAs, Stott is going to be at the top of that list and if age isn't a factor it becomes a no-brainer.

Kelly is the question mark for a few reasons. He hasn't been a VAR since late July and a good portion of his VAR assignments came from when he hadn't passed the fitness test. Add in the fact that he's actually Irish while you have Penso sitting around as a former FIFA who just did the MLS Cup Final as VAR and it is rather odd.

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Will Stott still be refereeing in 2022? Will the VAR’s have to be actively refereeing their respective leagues or can they retire from refereeing and only do VAR? So many questions.

5. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Maybe Pawson can get some VAR practice by reviewing some of his decisions today. Fulham vs Spurs. Yeah...I know ....wrong thread. :D Just having a dig since his name was on the VAR list.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can safely assume that if Stott is taking the time to attend this clinic, he at the very least plans to still be an MLS VAR in 2022.

I don't think there's any requirement that an official be actively reffing to actually serve as a FIFA VAR. Irrati is a good early example; FIFA seems to have no interest in him as a FIFA-level referee, but clearly they see use for him as a VAR. So if he stopped whistling Serie A matches? I don't think it would make FIFA blink.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting that Oliver is on the list but Taylor is not. Not even for VAR. And yet as noted Pawson is. And to me Pawson is, well, erratic.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of the more interesting things in this list once you stipulate that returning referees from 2018 aren't part of the discussion right now.

This list seems to clearly indicate that Oliver is above Taylor in FIFA's eyes. Given Oliver has done a FIFA Final already (2015 U17s) it's not terribly surprising. The lack of Taylor at all, however, is surprising.

Taylor will be 44 in 2022, so perhaps age plays a factor in him not getting a referee shot. My only guess on the VAR side of things is that Pawson has either shown more interest or more ability in the last year-plus of training domestically.

9. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been really interested to see what they were going to do with them. At the end of the day, why not develop the person who could give you 10 more years on the pitch? Oliver got on the list quicker than Clatts or Webb, why not ride that?

I agree with mathguy ref, though, Pawson being the person who is helping decide "clear and obvious error" is pretty terrifying.

10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I’d rather see Kavanagh on any list like this instead of Pawson. Like others have said, Pawson is inconsistent at best.

In my opinion, Oliver is going to whistle a World Cup final in 2022 or (more likely) 2026 as long as he doesn’t have any egregious screwups and if England doesn’t make deep WC runs. I think he’s already on the short list of top 3-4 referees in the world and he’s still just 34.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  11. ocagrad16

ocagrad16 New Member

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Jul 22, 2017
    I am also wondering if a VAR is going to be assigned with a crew. For example, Jurisevic would be with the Maruffo, Stott with Elfath or something like that. Or, are the VARs just going to float from crew to crew.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Float.

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That seems a reasonable prediction about Oliver, but these type of things almost never go according to plan.

Most of us on here thought that Clattenburg would referee a World Cup Final. Yet, he never ended up even going to one.

Would you have believed that Kassai after the World Cup he had in 2010 and the CL Final he had in 2011 would never go to another World Cup?

I thought Mateu Lahoz would be the next great Spanish referee who finally makes an impact on the international stage and he probably ends up only going to one tournament with no knockout match performance.

We can go on and on. Did anyone ever think that Jair Marrufo would go to one World Cup much less two after the water break fiasco and Blanco incident?

14. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I forgot all about the jersey incident! good times

15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we have the draw. England/USA probably gets a SA ref while Iran/USA maybe gets a big gun from Europe?

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, my first two (very very very early) thoughts...

Portugal v Uruguay will be a war in Group H. And it might be a game for Elfath.

US-Iran would normally get a big gun from Europe, like Meier had it in 98. But, there's no Swiss referee. And the biggest of guns just retired. And it can't be Taylor. Even Makkelie is probably unlikely because the winner of that game, on paper, could then play the Dutch. So, that leaves Orsato for me, which is also a nice prize for the Italian federation. The alternative, in my eyes, would be Rapallini; go against the grain and outside UEFA.

Looking at things, Group G and H really do have a ton of matches that could be tough ones to referee. I identified one that sticks out, but it's actually probably harder to identify one that isn't a potentially challenging match.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and, yes, England/US probably does get a South American unless Iran/US does. In that case... is someone like Beath too obvious of a choice?

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beath is an interesting call for ENG:USA. Group B is fascinating. You're either going to add another British side or a Ukraine side where who the hell knows what will be happening by November.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for this thread bump... the original source link is gone, but we were all right to be skeptical about the initial list. Recall Jurisevic, Kelly and Stott were on the VAR list. And Oliver but not Taylor. And no Turpin. Reminder for late 2023 that a LOT will change after that first list is leaked or published.

20. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    A Portuguese referee on Ghana v Uruguay for continuity's sake.

Mateu on Argentina v Mexico for maximum communication fun.

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FIFA has ideas about Elfath for a big QF or later match, Portugal-Uruguay would be quite the test.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside Groups G and H…

Belgium v Croatia could be fun (or irrelevant as it’s MD3).

Spain v Germany seems to be the clear all UEFA tie that will need the biggest of names.

And England v the playoff winner will be high profile no matter who gets through.

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Ghana/Uruguay is the Suarez handball revenge game.

frankieboylampard and Roger Allaway repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think all of G and H is a potential refereeing mess. What's the easiest game on paper? Switzerland v Serbia? Even that could be untidy.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot the obvious question. Qatar v Ecuador opener. It's a weird one.

In some ways it screams for a European, as it's rare that it goes to UEFA (Busacca only one this century). But would you "waste" one of your top, top guys on that when there are so many other big matches in other groups? It's not crazy to suggest Elfath there, honestly. Or Ghorbal if he's rated top in CAF.

With that said, I think we always focus on the geography and it's worth noting only once this century has the opening referee not been a WC returnee (Eilzondo in 2006). And FIFA does seem to like to give the game to a bona fide WC Final candidate now. But who fits that bill? Taylor and Makkelie and Rapallini would all be debutants as would the main names from other confederations (except Faghani, who is out). Orsato, Turpin or Marciniak?

Of course, the most obvious names for the honor are two referees who we aren't even sure are going--Mateu and Cakir.