World Cup 2019 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not really, most of her shots didn't have much space because the combination was too simple.

I'm not saying the simple "pass back to the middle" but combine the play in the middle and the flank to create spaces. France didn't, they mostly just go by the flanks try to cross. They had similar problem in the game VS Brazil.

You can compare it to England. England tried to pass the ball in the middle, attract the US defense line to go up then pass through balls thus created more chances.

2. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Naeher got a cup on Hope Solo and Scurry - good on her. :rolleyes:

3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Well, France might have had some personnel issues--people can argue about that. But they put a very talented team on the field against the U.S., and their big problem was that they gave up a rather stupid first goal and then had to chase the rest of the game against a U.S. team that started sitting back and playing defensively. And if you are playing a well-organized team that is sitting back, mostly, it's going to be hard to score no matter how you play.

4. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    The US is international to anyone outside the US, right? [emoji2369]

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Talented, yes, but not strong on tactics compare to England or even Spain. Most of their attacks are too simple, just go by the flanks and try to cross even when it's heavily defended.

6. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    with all respect, weather you are right and wrong is of no consequence

BTW, it was Spain not England who was masterful tactically.
    I would not put England in the same sentence.

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain has good passing, but little idea when they get close to the box. England is different, their approach is quite lethal. France does a better job than Spain but not as good as the US or England.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #433 Slowpokeking, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    1150848073851113473 is not a valid tweet id

1150848294660321282 is not a valid tweet id

Ok THIS is just so disgusting. Such ppl are nothing but pure disgrace to humanity. Same thing had happened to Lauren Sesselmann in 2015.

Ethan Frank, MiLLeNNiuM and cpthomas repped this.
  9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People shouldn't gamble.

Dyvel repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I just hope she reports that guy to the police.

Slowpokeking, jnielsen and JanBalk repped this.
  11. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Here's something I've been wondering about: why were the semis and final scheduled earlier in the day? Eight pm is the usual time, no?

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For most matches, maybe, but I get the feeling that the finals typically go earlier as well, probably to maximize natural light/aesthetics. That is, having the match over while it's still light out is pretty nice. FWIW, the 2015 final was at 4pm local time. (The FIFA calendar, which put two men's continental finals on the same day this year, might also have influenced things.)

13. Betting Union

Betting Union New Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jul 30, 2019
    Its time to make woman^s football make more popular
    everybody can help to make it more popular by publishing in social media like facebook or twitter

jnielsen, sbahnhof and kolabear repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  15. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JanBalk repped this.
  16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was just reliving the U.S. matches at the World Cup. The game with Spain was a real nail biter -- the most entertaining of the U.S.'s games -- and the only match for which the outcome was contested until the last minute.

Spain outmuscled the US (which doesn't happen often). Their center back, no. 4, Parades, was the meanest player I've seen since the days of Melissa Tancredi. No humility or caution on the part of Spain. They took the battle to the U.S. -- and with a little luck could have won.

blissett, kolabear and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    They got their little bit of luck with the errors from Naeher and Sauerbrunn and a ref who was arguably unwilling for much of the match to show cards for persistent infringement. Any more luck, and it wouldn't have just been "a little luck".

18. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match vs Spain is probably the best thing to ever happened to USWNT physically and psychologically for the rest of the tournament. It prepares them well vs France and England-and-Netherlands in the final. If you think “Spain outmuscled the US” is something to brag about: thank you! When they get punched head first, USWNT has the ability to come back and win games in a lot of ways more than any other sides in the tournament—and it is more than just “luck.”

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Spain's goal was 50 percent alert, opportunist play and with 50 percent sloppiness on Naeher and Sauerbrunn. That second penalty call on Spain for a phantom touch on Lavelle was, shall we say, soft. Not much there. Without that call a 1-1 game. So, yeah, the U.S. was a little lucky.

VAR confirmed that penalty call, but VAR. as we saw throughout the World Cup, would confirm a penalty if you touch a fingernail to another player.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  20. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I didn't say Spain's goal wasn't alert play on their part, and I also didn't say the US weren't a bit lucky. The "sloppiness" from Naeher and Sauerbrunn was still a notable bit of luck for Spain, especially since I can't recall those two combining for an error in possession of the ball before, and the kind of play Virginia Torrecilla made (i.e. high follow through catching an opposing player) was punished with penalties throughout the competition. Also, a stricter ref may have prevented Spain from being so physical with earlier and more frequent carding. I'm just saying Spain already had their "little luck" in keeping the game close. We can just disagree there though.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, think of it as equality, this probably happens every single day to Men players.

Shit in Colombia some dude shot a player that scored an own goal in the 1994 WC.

It is a horrible thing, we humans can be huge ass wholes, we have access with social media and we can be anonymous, it is a combination that can get very ugly sometimes.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Technical Study Group has released their report on the WWC: https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/lnpeuvaoc1v5tih9rf7p.pdf

The report didn't include an All-Star Team, which is why I'm not posting this in the awards thread, but it did list 10 players who "dared to shine":
    Lucy Bronze, Jill Scott, Ellen White, Julie Ertz, Megan Rapinoe, Rose Lavelle, Crystal Dunn, Sari van Veenendaal, Viviane Miedema, Sofia Jakobsson.
    The report also includes team profiles with key stats.

The FIFA Football Conference that analyzed the WWC (which I'm currently watching, so no comments from me yet) is also available on YouTube:

blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I attended the conference and did the mixed zone afterwards, there 150 coaches and delegation from around the World, it was a nice event.

jnielsen, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  25. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Lechus7 repped this.