World Cup 2019 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 3, 2019.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No offense, but the notion that Europe was "in the shadows" of the US and Asia is laughable. (UEFA has always had at least two WC semifinalists, with one exception, and usually two OG semifinalists.) As is the sub-header saying that an all-UEFA semifinal group would be good for the global game. The author is an intense UEFA homer.

jnielsen and soccernutter repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, every once in a while this kind of videos surface, always conveying western stereotypes of blondes in bathing suits and basically forgetting everything else or giving it just some marginal sop.

Spanish Maria Léon's 2nd place in this particular one, then, is beyond me: how can people find a girl who tattooed a sentence on her throat attractive? :laugh:

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  3. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Thats nothing new. German tabloid Bild apparently had a headline

"an ugly game won thanks to our prettiest player."

jnielsen repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like how Italy's chances for a final win are so slim, that they don't even fit their part of the banner! :x3::p

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's not a final win chance, that's a final appearance chance - i.e. USA and ENG are already guaranteed their SF spots in that first line, and USA is favored over ENG to make the final in the last line.

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok: Italy's percentage is anyway not worth writing! :x3:

8. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Watching the Dutch and Italy playing in 90 degrees + (F) make me wonder what kind of disaster the men’s WC is going to be in Qatar. It’s forecast to be 110 in Doha today. Even in November/December temperatures can average in the high 80s and 90s. In 2022, with temps on the rise, a heat snap during the tournament could be really dangerous for both players and fans.

jnielsen, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Phil Neville just said him and his coaches will be taking the GB team to the Olympics and that he can pick players from all four associations.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does the olympics not consider GB countries as individual teams?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Because GB represents all of England, Wales, Scotland and NI at the Olympics. The Olympics seem happy enough for any of the four nations to represent GB if they qualify.

The main issue is that the four home nations don't want to play for a GB team because they think it might bring into disrepute their individual right to play in future FIFA tournaments. However, now an agreement has been made for a women's team to represent the combined nations because it's so important to the growth of the womens overall game.

McSkillz, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Olys are about nationality (country) while FIFA is about federation/association.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  13. Anon123

Anon123 New Member

Chelsea
    England
    Jun 29, 2019
    Hey all. Found a really talented video of the game from a passion young lady in Le Havre. Made some great points and the production value is superb for a matchday vlog. She also said ‘bring on USA’ hopefully she will be there.

McSkillz repped this.
  14. Scary incident.
    Incident kept out of registration by tv cameras:
    Italian fan after the whistle stormed at Veenendaal:
    [​IMG]
    Sari van Veenendaal schrikt op het moment dat er na de wedstrijd een supporter het veld op komt gerend. © REUTERS

[​IMG]
    © Getty Images
    [​IMG]
    © BSR Agency
    [​IMG]
    © REUTERS
    [​IMG]
    © REUTERS
    [​IMG]

© Getty Images

15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It shouldn't be a surprise, but I think France was a wonderful pick to host this World Cup. It's a footballing nation, of course--and it has a lot of what seem to be nice soccer-specific stadiums, most of which seem to hold between 20,000 and 30,000 people, which seems about right for this stage in the women's game. What's more, the pitches at every venue have seemed--from a distance--to be in excellent shape. They've done a good job.

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what she meant regardless of the soccer aspect.
    That is, why does the IOC allow a block of nations to compete as one nation?
    I mean GB is made up of 4 different countries/nations.
    So, why don't they all compete separately at the Olympics?

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, I took their word for it because as an American that is admittedly not very worldly, I don’t understand the concept of a bunch of countries representing one giant union. The United Kingdom and Great Britain blocks still confuse me because why are there so many discrepancies between what islands are included and which ones like Ireland are excluded. And why when the Olympics roll around have to be team GB instead of England, Scotland etc?

I will say I kinda wish California was its own country sometimes.

Chizzy and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be able to compete as North America. I'm kidding, of course, but I could see the Olympics one day (in the very, very distant future) going the way of continental groups vs national groups of athletes.

McSkillz repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #320 SiberianThunderT, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Because, to most of the world, Great Britain (or, rather, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) is the country and its four constituent states are historical/cultural entities within that one country. It's a general function of outside-looking-in, kinda how many people think of the USA before they think of any individual states (save for maybe Texas or California) - don't forget that even the USA started as separate entities than agreed to kinda work under the same national flag. And I believe the British Olympic Association was formed from that central government, so it makes sense that's what the IOC recognizes.

blissett, McSkillz and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What does identify this guy as "an Italian fan", as opposed to a random lunatic? Is it just the wish to attack Van Veneendaal for some reason? (why an Italian fan could want to do so, by the way, is beyond me: I don't think Van Veneedaal had a prominent role in Italy's loss yesterday).

soccernutter and McSkillz repped this.
  21. Clarkmeister

Clarkmeister Member

Flamengo
    United States
    Feb 22, 2018
    Plenty of tickets available on the FIFA site for the next matches

CoachJon and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. I thought you people were busy with a declaration of independance to screw the tanned idiot.

McSkillz repped this.
  23. For how long for the Orange Lionesses match? They made a historic entrance into the semi final, so I expect a run on that match.

24. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yes, pumpkin-head is going down pretty hard.