World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 to zip. Wow

2. That score flattered the losers. Poland couldn't get off the mark and Colombia was hitting on all cylinders.

goldclover repped this.
  3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got the perfect result in the Japan/Senegal game and they play like this against Columbia. They deserve to be eliminated.

I blame all this on NRod and Andi..............

scottw1055 and xtomx repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can we sign Kuba on the cheap now?

5. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was really hoping for a group with all 4 teams at 4 pts.

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we sign Robert Lewandowski? He did have a horrible World Cup, could probably get him on the cheap also.;)

That's the only way we will get a player like Kuba. If he agrees to a cheap contract or if we use a ton of TAM/GAM, because no way Andi uses any of his wife's money.

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #282 firefan2001, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    This could have happened (If Poland and Columbia tied)

Standings if Poland and Columbia tied

Japan 1-1-0-4-3-(+1) 4pts
    Senegal 1-1-0-4-3-(+1) 4pts
    Poland 0-1-1-3-4-(-1) 1pt
    Columbia 0-1-1-3-4-(-1) 1pt

Poland beats Japan 1-0
    Columbia beats Senegal 1-0

Final Standings

Poland 1-1-1-4-4 (E) 4pts
    Columbia 1-1-1-4-4 (E) 4pts
    Japan 1-1-1-4-4 (E) 4pts
    Senegal 1-1-1-4-4 (E) 4pts

1st tiebreaker GD
    2nd tiebreaker Goals scored
    What's the 3rd tiebreaker?

Edit:
    If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:
    • Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
    • Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
    • Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
    • Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)
    • Drawing of lots by FIFA
    So looks like it would come down to fair play.......After two games: Poland -3, Japan -3, Senegal -5 and Columbia -7

GHjelm repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In the 1994 World Cup, didn't that happen in the group with Italy and Ireland?
    All four teams ended on 4 points with the same goal differential.
    Every game was 1-0 0-0 or 2-1, I recall.
    The other teams were Norway and Mexico

GHjelm, firefan2001 and bunge repped this.
  9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #284 firefan2001, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    You were close, yes all finished with 1-1-1 record and had even goal difference.

Those results meant that Mexico won the group on goals scored, with three in the group. With Ireland and Italy also progressing having finished with identical records, Ireland finished ahead of Italy because of Ireland's victory over Italy. Norway's shortcomings in attack ultimately let them down, and they exited the tournament with only one goal.

As in the same World Cup three teams in Group F finished with 6 pts and with a +1 goal difference. Netherlands, Saudi Arabia (of all teams) and Belgium.

Saudi Arabia advanced through to the Round of 16 as well, having also defeated Morocco 2–1. The Netherlands endured a somewhat nervier experience. The opening 2–1 victory against Saudi Arabia was followed by the 1–0 loss against Belgium before another 2–1 victory against Morocco, with Bryan Roy scoring the winner a mere 12 minutes from time, saw the Dutch win the group because of having scored more goals against Belgium and Saudi Arabia. Morocco, despite losing all 3 of their group games, did not leave without a fight, as each of their losses were by just a single goal, 1–0 to Belgium, 2–1 to Saudi Arabia, and 2–1 to the Netherlands.

also in Group D all three teams finished with 6 pts, Nigeria winning the group with a +4 goal difference, with Bulgaria and Argentina finishing with identical records 2-0-1-6-3- 6pts (+3) GD, Bulgaria took second by winning the 3rd tiebreaker. Bulgaria beat Argentina 2-0 in the group stage, but Argentina also qualified for the knockout stage.

xtomx, goldclover and GHjelm repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bul-ga-ria
    Bul-ga-ria

Most fun team in 1994.
    Where I fell for Hristo Stoitchkov.

lethargytartare and cchchaplain repped this.
  11. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out I don't work until 10 tomorrow. Anything worth waking up early for?

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Uruguay destroys Russia to win Group A.

Iran-Portugal
    and
    Morocco-Spain
    coming up soon

An Iranian win, and they go through. Portugal goes home.

Spain needs a point to guarantee they progress.

My bracket is already destroyed, so:

Go Iran!

13. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well I had a very busy weekend and fell behind on watching most games due to exhaustion but what I can say is I'm still very comfortable with my prediction of Belgium winning it all and would prefer to fast forward to Belgium v. England on Thursday at 1:00pm. Good to see James Rodriguez back as the #10 for Columbia. He destroyed Poland's defense with his creativity, movement and passing. Germany snatched a face saving win with 11 seconds left in injury time! Wow... They might get out of the group yet? I haven't been impressed with Brazil at all nor Argentina. Spain and Portugal are not dominant in any way. I still haven't seen France play yet just due to my schedule. Who's left to worry about? Uruguay are always good and fun to watch as they are a strong squad...I prefer to watch Chile attack but since they didn't make this tournament either I give my South American hopes to Columbia just to avenge the stain of Andres Escobar's assassination in 1994. Shame...

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Damn, Spain tied.
    As, expected Spain and Portugal through, although both struggled mightily against Morocco and Iran.

15. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Great games. I was pulling for Iran.

xtomx repped this.
  16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did Viktor Krum catch the snitch yet?

lethargytartare repped this.
  17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  18. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubber Dick.

bunge repped this.
  19. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your opinion on the use of VAR? In the Portugal game today, it really disturbed the flow of the game (although you could blame that on the ref as well). Also, the stoppage times have been much longer than I would have expected, and have made a difference in the outcome (e.g. Germany).

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I don’t think the VAR is an issue with extra time. The time added is added because it wasn’t played during the first 90 minutes so it’s not really extending the amount of game played.

As for the flow, overall I think the VAR has been beneficial. The breaks are typically short and usually seem to be at a natural stopping point. I don’t remember if that was the case during today’s game but that may be because I’ve accepted them and now have patience if they’re not perfect.

Martininho repped this.
  21. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, and in the limited number of matches I've seen, the use of VAR seems to have been better accounted for in awarding extra time than some of the "traditional" breaks...feigned injury, slow-walking subs, time-wasting on throw-ins and free kicks, etc....here's hoping it will not only vindicate, or at least demonstrate just how ridiculously difficult it can be to get the calls right, but also introduce more rigor about how extra time is both calculated at the time it's awarded, and managed thereafter.

As an example, it's infuriating to see, say, 5 minutes of extra time added, only to have 3 of it wasted with the traditional antics and little to no adjustment.

lethargytartare and xtomx repped this.
  22. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Overall I think it has worked really well. The Iran game was a perfect example of how it could go badly though. The breaks in play dragged on way too long, and even the 6 minutes added on seemed like not enough by the end (tho as you point out, i dont think another couple of minutes would have mattered)

23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Today’s the day!

24. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather not have games decided on the whim of linesman that is wrong or a flop in the box. Much rather they get it right

GHjelm repped this.
  25. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which game to watch at 1? And how do I bet on Nigeria? I have a hunch