World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jun 9, 2018.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    No, I've just got the new France Football and it only has the average grade for players with 5 or more games.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    No, I'm saying I think sometimes goals mask defensive performance and Sanchez was the better defender.
    Also I said "at least". Just working from memory.

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is apparently Gazzetta dello Sport their ideal team (which I do not fully agree with)

Courtois; Trippier, Varane, Vida, Laxalt; Pogba, Modric; Mbappé, Hazard, Griezmann; Cavani

https://www.pressreader.com/italy/la-gazzetta-dello-sport/20180717/281960313528153

Having looked at the stats again, I think Mandzukic is maybe a bit underappreciated or overlooked. His defensive statistics are a lot better than his peers, underlining his work rate. His creative stats relatively good too (next to his peers).

Cannot find the full ratings list...

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    And Gazzetta maybe?

5. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kane was horrible. Also, Pogba wasn’t impressive at all like how Utd fanboys hyped him to be. Kante had a stomach bug so he wasn’t in his usual form in the final. I don’t think Modric really deserved the Golden Ball over Hazard who arguably was the best player of the entire tournament. Mbappe truly deserved the best young player award and I wouldn’t have been disappointed if he won the Golden Ball.

6. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    Modric was ordinary in this world cup despite all the hype, doing nothing in final and semifinal and missed a crucial penalty against Denmark, even against Russia was nothing of memorable.
    Rakitic and especially Perisic were better. The Real Madrid and overall popularity of Modric made the campaign for him already, but he was ordinary, nothing of special really.
    The best midfielder was Pogba.
    Overall the best player was Mbappe. Hazard was the classic Hazard, dozon of dribbles, poor end product. In France vs Belgium, MBappe
    has put his teammates 3 times in front of goal, Hazard created 0 chances.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LMAO!

Also, over the entire tournament, Hazard had 3 goals and two assists. Kylian Mbappé had 4 goals and no assists.

But sure, Hazard did nothing all tournament and Kylian Mbappé played like Pelé, Maradona, Rivelino, Messi, Ronaldo spliced into one player, only better. :ROFLMAO:

8. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    Hazard got 2 goals against a team like Tunisia in the group stage in a game ended 5:2, an assist vs Japan, an assist vs Panama and a goal against England in an useless game for the third place. Only the assist against Japan was really useful for the Belgium campain in this world cup.
    Against Brazil and France, was a typical Hazard performance, all smoke and no fire.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes he might do a bit more with goals and assists, especially in the Champions League. At the same time you see the difference he can make when he doesn't play.

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I haven’t seen anything for Gazzetta.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    you have no idea about football

ko242 repped this.
  12. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Here are the ideal teams of the World Cup 2018 of the two leading Spanish sports newspapers:
    As:
    Courtois - Varane, Umtiti, Lucas - Kanté, Modric, Rakitic, De Bruyne - Mbappé, Griezmann and Hazard.
    https://as.com/futbol/2018/07/17/mundial/1531824534_903832.html
    Marca:
    Courtois; Meunier, Varane, Umtiti, Lucas Hernández; Kanté, Modric, Hazard; Mbappé, Lukaku and Griezmann
    http://www.marca.com/futbol/mundial/2018/07/16/5b4c79aa268e3e21778b4613.html
    One question: Is the FIFA Top Eleven true? I do not believe that any person who understands football includes Paulinho ...

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  13. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  16. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    mostly la liga players, coincedence?

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I thought it could be interesting to compare to 1994 - the tournament I saw most of (it's possible 2018 would be next I guess).

Especially if accounting for the nostalgia factor (although the opposite recent event factor could offset it anyway maybe) I would say that for quality of football in general and entertainment factor that the two World Cups would be comparable (given I enjoyed 1994 that is a positive statement, but of course I did notice some claims for 2018 being the best ever on TV etc). As you'll see player wise, at the top end I give 1994 the edge (likewise literally at the top end of the pitch re: attacking players) but as Team B and Team C comparisons show I'd start to go the other way the deeper the comparisons go (and would tend to say the better central midfield performances might be fairly said to have occurred in 2018, although not by a clear or certainly huge margin and since I am matching up formations I did put Hagi further up the pitch than I'd have done with a 4-4-2 system). But game wise maybe I'd even go slightly the other way (it's more doubtful though) and suggest the best few games of 2018 might have been better to watch than those of 1994, while the more games that get included the more 1994 might edge ahead in that respect (I'd think another random person who saw both World Cups might also be more undecided on this whereas I would half-expect them to agree with me a bit more on the players certainly).

I decided to make a call on each comparison rather than call some equal, but would be of a mind to think it could be reasonable to say Brolin=Mbappe, or Letchkov=De Bruyne, particularly due to key moments and the quality/effectiveness De Bruyne and Mbappe came up with in that regard. But I could have estimated Taffarel=Sommer, or Coutinho=Balakov quite possibly too.

Team A:
    Preud'homme > Ospina
    Jorginho > Pavard
    Aldair > Yoshida
    Maldini > D.Sanchez
    Sergi > Rodriguez
    Thern < Modric
    Redondo < Pogba
    Brolin > Mbappe
    R.Baggio > E.Hazard
    Hagi > Inui
    Romario > Cavani

Team B:
    Taffarel < Sommer
    McGrath < Varane
    Belodedici > Mina
    Albert > Godin
    Petrescu < Trippier
    Letchkov > De Bruyne
    Jonk < Kante
    Balakov < Coutinho
    Luis Enrique < Cheryshev
    Bebeto > Griezmann
    Stoichkov > Kane

Team C:
    Mihailov < Lloris
    Emmers < Fernandes
    Baresi > Alderweireld
    M.Santos < Stones
    Benarrivo > Marcelo
    Hassler < Rakitic
    M.Silva < Brozovic
    Garcia Aspe < Isco
    Bergkamp > Musa
    Caniggia > Lozano
    Klinsmann > Lukaku

comme and Gregoriak repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Although these are my selections, and not official or consensus ones, I thought the other interesting to thing to look at might be the different clubs played for at the time of the World Cup, the league those clubs played in, and also the different National Teams the selected players played for. Obviously I didn't have this in mind when I made the above post, so it's not influenced in that way.

Club teams for 1994 selections (24 different teams)
    Roma 3
    Barcelona 3
    AC Milan 2
    Parma 2
    Anderlecht 2
    Inter Milan 2
    Deportivo 2
    Mechelen 1
    Bayern Munich 1
    Napoli 1
    Tenerife 1
    Juventus 1
    Brescia 1
    Reggiana 1
    Aston Villa 1
    Valencia 1
    Genoa 1
    Hamburg 1
    Sporting Lisbon 1
    Real Madrid 1
    Mulhouse 1
    Bordeaux 1
    Necaxa 1
    Monaco 1

Club teams for 2018 selections (18 different teams)
    Tottenham 5
    Real Madrid 4
    Barcelona 3
    Man Utd 2
    PSG 2
    Chelsea 2
    Atletico Madrid 2
    Man City 2
    CSKA Moscow 2
    Arsenal 1
    Stuttgart 1
    Southampton 1
    Milan 1
    Eibar 1
    Borussia Monchengladbach 1
    Villarreal 1
    Inter Milan 1
    PSV 1

Countries club teams played in for 1994 (8 different countries)
    Italy 14
    Spain 8
    Belgium 3
    France 3
    Germany 2
    England 1
    Portugal 1
    Mexico 1

Countries club teams played in for 2018 (7 different countries)
    England 13
    Spain 11
    Germany 2
    Italy 2
    France 2
    Russia 2
    Netherlands 1

National teams played for in 1994 World Cup (12 different countries)
    Brazil 7
    Italy 4
    Bulgaria 4
    Belgium 3
    Romania 3
    Spain 2
    Sweden 2
    Argentina 2
    Netherlands 2
    Germany 2
    Ireland 1
    Mexico 1

National teams played for in 2018 World Cup (13 different countries)
    France 7
    Belgium 4
    Colombia 3
    Croatia 3
    England 3
    Japan 2
    Switzerland 2
    Uruguay 2
    Brazil 2
    Russia 2
    Spain 1
    Nigeria 1
    Mexico 1

Some transfers could change the situation for the upcoming season, and after the summer of 1994 certainly a number of the players moved to English clubs including from Italian ones, and the players playing in France all moved to a different league (but still it's curious that more of the 1994 selections played in France than the number of 2018 selections that did given France didn't qualify in 1994 and won the World Cup in 2018!).

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Marc Overmars was best young player of the 1994 World Cup... (and rightly so)

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Finally got round to writing up all my ratings from all the games. Obviously a hugely subjective thing but these were my thoughts on it all:

Group A

Russia - Saudi Arabia

Akinfeev 6; Mario Fernandes 8, Kutepov 7, Ignashevich 7, Zhirkov 7; Gazinsky 7, Zobnin 8; Samedov 6 (Kuzyayev 6), Dzagoev 7 (Cherychev 9), Golovin 9; Smolov 6 (Dzyuba 7)

Al-Mayouf 3; Al-Breik 4, Os. Hawsawi 4, Om. Hawsawi 4, Al-Shahrani 3; Al-Shehri 4 (Bahebri -), Al-Jassim 5, Otayf 4 (Al-Muwallad -), Al-Dawsari 5, Al-Faraj 5; Al-Sahlawi 5 (Assiri -)

Egypt - Uruguay

El-Shannawy 8; Fathi 6, Hegazi 6, Abdel-Shafy 6; Hamed 6 (Morsy 6), Elneny 6; Warda 5 (Sobhi -), Said 5, Hassan 6; Mohsen 6 (Kahraba 6)

Muslera 6; Varela 6, Gimenez 8, Godin 8, Cacares 6; Nandez 5 (Sanchez 5), Vecino 5 (Torreira -), Bentancur 5, De Arrascaeta 5 (Rodriguez 6); Suarez 4, Cavani 7

Russia - Egypt

Akinfeev 6; Mario Fernandes 7, Kutepov 6, Ignashevich 6, Zhirkov 6 (Kudryashov -); Gazinsky 7, Zobnin 7, Samedov 7; Golovine 7, Cherychev 8 (Kuzyayev -); Dzyuba 8 (Smolov -)

El-Shenawy 5; Fathi 4, Gabr 5, Hegazy 6, Abdel-Shafy 6; Hamed 5, Elneny 5 (Warda 6); Salah 6, El-Saïd 5, Trezeguet 6 (Sobhi -); Mohsen 6 (Kahraba -)

Uruguay - Saudi Arabia

Muslera 6; Varela 6, Godin 6, Gimenez 6, Caceres 6; C. Sanchez 6 (Nandez -), Vecino 5 (Torreira 6), Betancur 7, C. Rodriguez 6 (Laxalt 6); Cavani 6, Suarez 7.

Al-Owais 4; Al-Burayk 5, Os. Hawsawi 6, Al-Bulaihi 6, Al-Sharani 5; Bahebri 5 (Kanno -), Otayf 6, Al-Jassim 5 (Al-Moghawi 5), Al-Faraj 5, Al-Dawsari 6; Al-Muwallad 5 (Al-Sahlawi -)

Uruguay - Russia

Muslera 6; Caceres 6, Coates 6, Godin 7, Laxalt 8; Nandez 6 (Rodriguez -), Torreira 7, Vecino 6, Bentancur 7 (De Arrascaeta 6); Cavani 7 (Gomez -), Suarez 7

Akinfeev 6; Smolnikov 4, Kutepov 5, Ignashevich 6, Kudryashov 5; Zobnin 6, Gazinsky 5 (Kuzyayev 6); Samedov 5, Mirantchuk 5, Cheryshev 5 (Fernandes 6); Dzyuba 6 (Smolov 6)

Egypt - Saudi Arabia

Al-Mosailen 5; Al-Breik 6, O. Hawsawi 5, M. Hawsawi 5, Al-Sharani 6; Bahebri 5 (Assiri 5), Al-Faraj 7, Otayf 6, Al-Mogahwi 6, Al-Dawsari 7; Al-Muwallad 5 (Al-Shehri -)

El-Hadary 7; Fathy 5, Gabr 5, Hegazi 5, Abdel-Shafy 5; Elneny 5, Hamed 5; Salah 7, Saïd 5 (Warda -), Trezeguet 5 (Kahrabi -); Mohsen 5 (Sobhi -)

Group B

Iran - Morocco

Munir 5; N Amrabat 7 (S Amrabat 4), Benatia 7, Saiss 6, Hakimi 6; El-Ahmadi 6; Harit 7 (Da Costa -), Ziyech 7, Belhanda 6, Boussoufa 6; El-Kaabi 5 (Bouhaddouz 4)

Beiranvand 8; Rezaeian 6, Pouraligijani 8, Chesmi 6, Haji Safi 5; Ebrahimi 6 (Hosseini -); Jahanbakhash 6 (Ghoddos -), Shojaei 5 (Taremi 6), Amiri 6, Ansarifard 6 - Azmoun 6

Spain - Portugal

Patricio 6; Cedric 5, Fonte 5, Pepe 4, Guerreiro 6; Moutinho 6, Carvalho 5, Bruno Fernandes 6 (Joao Mario 5); Guedes 6 (Andre Silva -), Bernardo Silva 6 (Quaresma 5); Ronaldo 9

De Gea 4; Nacho 7, Pique 6, Ramos 6, Alba 7; Koke 7, Busquets 7, Iniesta 7 (Thiago 6); Silva 8 (Vazquez -), Isco 8; Diego Costa 9 (Aspas -)

Morocco - Portugal

Rui Patricio 7; Cedric 5, Pepe 5, Fonte 6, Guerreiro 5; Bernardo Silva 5 (Gelson Martins 6), Moutinho 7, William Carvalho 6, Joao Mario 5 (Bruno Fernandes -); Guedes 5 (Adrien Silva -), Cristiano Ronaldo 7

Munir 6; Dirar 6, Benatia 7, Da Costa 4, Hakimi 6; El Ahmadi 5 (Fajr -), Boussoufa 7; N. Amrabat 7, Belhanda 7 (Carcela -), Ziyech 8; Boutaïb 6 (El-Kaabi -)

Spain - Iran

Beiranvand 7; Rezaeian 6, Hosseini 6, Pouraliganji 7, Hajsafi 7 (Mohammadi -); Ebrahimi 6, Ezatolahi 7; Ansarifard 6 (Jahanbakhsh -), Taremi 5, Amiri 6 (Ghoddos -); Azmoun 45

De Gea 6; Carvajal 6, Piqué 5, Ramos 6, Alba 6; Busquets 6, Iniesta 6 (Koke 6); Vazquez 5 (Asensio -), D. Silva 7, Isco 8; Costa 7 (Rodrigo -)

Iran - Portugal

Beiranvand 6; Rezaeian 6, Hosseini 4, Pouraliganji 7, Hajsafi 6 (Mohammadi -); Ezatolahi 6 (Ansarifard -); Jahanbakhsh 6 (Ghoddos -), Ebrahimi 6, Taremi 5, Amiri 6; Azmoun 5

Rui Patricio 5; Cedric 5, Pepe 7, Fonte 5, Guerreiro 6; Adrien Silva 4, Carvalho 7, João Mario 5 (Joao Moutinho -); Quaresma 8 (Bernardo Silva -), André Silva 5 (Guedes -), Ronaldo 6

Spain Morocco

De Gea 6; Carvajal 6, Piqué 6, Ramos 4, Jordi Alba 6; Thiago Alcantara 6 (Asensio -), Busquets 6; David Silva 6 (Rodrigo -), Isco 8, Iniesta 7, Diego Costa 6 (Aspas 7)

Munir 6; Dirar 7, Saïss 7, Da Costa 7, Hakimi 7; Boussoufa 7, El-Ahmadi 6; Ziyech 7 (Bouhaddouz -), N. Amrabat 6, Belhanda 6 (Fajr 6); Boutaïb 7 (En-Nesyri 7)

Group C

France - Australia

Lloris 7; Pavard 6, Varane 6, Umtiti 4, Hernandez 6; Tolisso 5 (Matuidi 5), Kante 7, Pogba 6; Griezmann 5 (Giroud 6), Mbappe 5, Dembele 4 (Fekir 5)

Ryan 7; Risdon 6, Sainsbury 7, Milligan 6, Behich 6; Mooy 7, Jedinak 7; Leckie 6, Rogic 6 (Irvine 5), Kruse 5 (Arzani -); Nabbout 5 (Juric 5)

Peru - Denmark

Gallese 7; Advincula 6, Rodriguez 6, Ramos 6, Trauco 7; Tapia 7 (Aquino -), Yotun 7; Carrilo 8, Cueva 7, Flores 6 (Guerrero 7); Farfan 7 (Ruidiaz -)

Schmeichel 9; Dalsgaard 7, Kjaer 8, Christensen 7 (M Jorgensen -), Stryger Larson 6; Kvist 6 (Schone 7), Eriksen 7, Delaney 6; Poulsen 8, N Jorgensen 5, Sisto 6 (Braithwaite 6)

Australia - Denmark

Schmeichel 6; Dalsgaard 6, Kjaer 7, Christensen 7, Larsen 6; Schöne 6, Delaney 5, Eriksen 7; Poulsen 4 (Braithwaite 5), Sisto 6, Jörgensen 6 (Cornelius -)

Ryan 6; Risdon 6, Sainsbury 6, Milligan 6, Behich 5; Mooy 6, Jedinak 7; Leckie 7, Rogic 6 (Irvine -), Kruse 5 (Arzani 6); Nabbout 5 (Juric -)

France - Peru

Lloris 7; Pavard 6, Varane 7, Umtiti 6, Hernandez 6; Kanté 8, Pogba 7 (Nzonzi -), Matuidi 5; Mbappé 6 (Dembele -), Griezmann 5 (Fekir -), Giroud 7

Gallese 7; Advincula 7, Ramos 6, Rodriguez 5 (Santamaria, 5), Trauco 5; Carrillo 7, Yotun 5 (Farfan, 6); Aquino 6, Flores 5, Cueva 6 (Ruidiaz -); Guerrero 6

Denmark France

Mandanda 6; Sidibé 5, Varane 5, Kimpembe 5, Hernandez 5 (Mendy 5); Kanté 6, Nzonzi 5; Dembélé 4 (Mbappe -), Lemar 4, Griezmann 4 (Fekir -), Giroud 5.

Schmeichel 6; Dalsgaard 5, Kjaer 6, Christensen 5, S. Larsen 5; Eriksen 5, M. Jörgensen 5, Delaney 5 (Lerager -); Braithwaite 5, Cornelius 5 (Dolberg -), Sisto 4 (Fischer -)

Peru - Australia

Ryan 6; Risdon 6, Sainsbury 6, Milligan 6, Behich 5; Jedinak 6, Mooy 6; Leckie 5, Rogic 7 (Irvine -), Kruse 5 (Arzani) 5; Juric 5 (Cahill 6)

Gallese 6; Advincula 7, Ramos 6, Santamaria 5, Trauco 6; Yotun 6 (Aquino 7), Tapia 6 (Hurtado 6); Carrillo 8 (Cartagena -), Cueva 7, Flores 6; Guerrero 7

Group D

Argentina - Iceland

Caballero 5; Salvio 5, Otamendi 6, Rojo 6, Tagliafico 5; Mascherano 5, Biglia 5 (Banega 6); Meza 5 (Higuain 5), Messi 7, Di Maria 6 (Pavon 6); Agüero 7

Halldorsson 8; Saevarsson 7, Arnason 7, R Sigurdsson 7, Magnusson 6; Gudmundsson 7 (Gilason 7), Gunnarson 7 (Skuldson 6), Hallfredsson 7, Bjarnason 7, G Sigurdsson 7; Finnbogason 7 (Sigurdarson 5)

Croatia - Nigeria

Subasic 6; Vrsaljko 6, Vida 7, Lovren 7, Strinic 6; Rakitic 7, Modric 8; Perisic 6, Kramaric 6 (Brozovic 7), Rebic 7 (Kovacic 7); Mandzukic 6

Uzoho 5; Abdullahi 4, Ekong 4, Balogun 5, Idowu 5; Ndidi 7, Etebo 6; Moses 5, Obi Mikel 5 (Simy -), Iwobi 5 (Musa 6); Ighalo 4 (Iheanacho -)

Argentina Croatia

Caballero 3; Mercado 4, Otamendi 5, Tagliafico 4; Salvio 4 (Pavon 5), Perez 5 (Dybala 5), Mascherano 4, Acuna 4; Messi 4, Meza 5, Agüero 4 (Higuain 5)

Subasic 6; Vrsaljko 7, Vida 7, Lovren 7, Strinic 6; Rakitic 8, Modric 8 Brozovic 7; Rebic 7 (Kramaric 6), Perisic 7 (Kovacic -), Mandzukic 6 (Corluka -)

Iceland - Nigeria

Uzoho 8; Omeruo 7, Ekong 6, Balogun 7; Moses 7, Etebo 7 (Iwobi -), Obi Mikel 6, Ndidi 6, Idowu 6 (Ebuehi 6); Musa 8, Iheanacho 6 (Ighalo -)

Halldorsson 6; Saevarsson 6, Arnason 5, R. Sigurdsson 6 (Ingason 6), Magnusson 6; Gislason 6, Gunnarsson 6 (Skulason -), G. Sigurdsson 6, Bjarnason 6; Bodvarsson 6 (Sigurdason -), Finnbogason 5

Iceland - Croatia

Halldorsson 6; Saeversson 6, Ingason 7 Sigurdsson 6 (Sigurdarson -), Magnusson 6; Gunnarsson 7, Hallfredsson 7; J Gudmundsson 5, Sigurdsson 7, Bjarnason 5 (Traustason -); Finnbogason 6 (A Gudmundsson -)

Kalinic 7; Jedvaj 6, Caleta-Car 6, Corluka 6, Pivaric 6; Badelj 7, Modric 7 (Bradaric 6); Kovacic 6 (Rakitic -), Pjaca 6 (Lovren -), Kramaric 6, Perisic 7

Argentina - Nigeria

Uzoho 6; Balogun 6, Omeruo 6 (Iwobi), Troost-Ekong 6; Moses 6, Obi Mikel 6, Ndidi 7, Etebo 6, Idowu 5; Musa 6 (Simy -), Iheanacho 5 (Ighalo 5)

Armani 6; Mercado 6, Otamendi 6, Rojo 7, Tagliafico 5 (Aguero -); Perez 4 (Pavon -), Mascherano 6, Banega 7, Di Maria 5 (Meza -); Messi 8, Higuain 6

Group E

Costa Rica - Serbia

Navas 7; Gamboa 6, Acosta 5, Gonzalez 5, Duarte 6, Calvo 5; Ruiz 6, Borges 5, Guzman 5 (Colindres 5), Venegas 5 (Bolanos 5); Urena 5 (Campbell 5)

Stojkovic 7; Ivanovic 7, Milenkovic 7, D. Tosic 6, Kolarov 8; Milivojevic 6, Matic 6; Tadic 7 (Rukavina -), Milinkovic-Savic 8, Ljajic 5 (Kostic 6); Mitrovic 7 (Prijovic -)

Brazil - Switzerland

Alisson 6; Danilo 5, Thiago Silva 7, Miranda 6, Marcelo 7; Paulinho 6 (Renato Augusto -), Casemiro 5 (Fernandinho 5); Neymar 6, Coutinho 7, Willian 5; Gabriel Jesus 6 (Firmino -)

Sommer 8; Lichtsteiner 7 (Lang -), Schär 7, Akanji 7, R. Rodriguez 7; Behrami 7 (Zakaria -), G. Xhaka 6; Shaqiri 6, Dzemaili 5, Zuber 6; Seferovic 5 (Embolo -)

Brazil - Costa Rica

Alisson 6; Fagner 5, Thiago Silva, 7, Miranda 6, Marcelo 6; Casemiro 7, Paulinho 6 (Firmino 7); Neymar 7, Coutinho 8, Willian 6 (Douglas Costa 7); Gabriel Jesus 6 (Fernandinho -)

K. Navas 8; Gamboa 7 (Calvo -), G. Gonzalez 6, Acosta 6, Duarte 6, Oviedo 6; Venegas 5, Guzman 6 (Tejeda -), Borges 5, Ruiz 5; Urena 5 (Bolanos -)

Serbia - Switzerland

Stojkovic 7; Ivanovic 6, Milenkovic 6, Tosic 6, Kolarov 6; Matic 6, Milivojevic 6 (Radonjic -); Tadic 7, Milinkovic-Savic 6, Kostic 5 (Ljajic -); Mitrovic 8

Sommer 7; Lichtsteiner 7, Schär 6, Akanji 6, Rodriguez 6; Behrami 6, Xhaka 8; Shaqiri 8, Dzemaïli 6 (Embolo -), Zuber 6 (Drmic -); Seferovic 5 (Gavranovic, 6)

Brazil - Serbia

Alisson 6; Fagner 5, Thiago Silva 8, Miranda 7, Marcelo - (Filipe Luis 6); Paulinho 7 (Fernandinho 6), Casemiro 6; Willian 6, Coutinho 8 (Renato Augusto -), Neymar 8; Gabriel Jesus 6

Stojkovic 7; Rukavina 6, Milenkovic 7, Veljkovic 6, Kolarov 6; Milinkovic-Savic 6, Matic 7; Tadic 6, Ljajic 7 (Zivkovic -), Kostic 5 (Radonjic -); Mitrovic 6 (Jovic -)

Switzerland - Costa Rica

Sommer 7; Lichtsteiner 7, Schär 6, Akanji 6, Rodriguez 6; Behrami 5 (Zakaria 5), Xhaka 6; Shaqiri 6 (Lang -), Dzemaili 7, Embolo 7; Gavranovic 5 (Drmic 7)

Navas 6; Gamboa 6 (Smith -), Acosta 6, Gonzalez 6, Waston 7, Oviedo 6; Borges 6, Guzman 6 (Azofeia -); Ruiz 6, Campbell 7, Colindres 6 (Wallace -)

Group F

Germany - Mexico

Neuer 6; Kimmich 4, Boateng 5, Hummels 6, Plattenhardt 5 (Gomez 5); Khedira 3 (Reus 6), Kroos 5; T. Müller 4, Özil 4, Draxler 4; Werner 5 (Brandt 7)

Ochoa 7; Salcedo 7, Ayala 7, Moreno 7, Gallardo 8; Herrera 8, Guardado 7 (Marquez -), Layun 7; Vela 7 (Alvarez 6), Lozano 8 (Jimenez 6), Hernandez 7

Sweden - South Korea

Olsen 6; Lustig 6, Jansson 6, Granqvist 8, Augustinsson 6; Claesson 7, Larsson 5 (Svensson -), Ekdal 6 (Hiljemark -), Forsberg 5; Toivonen 7 (Thelin -), Berg 5

Cho 7; Lee Y. 4, Kim Y. 6, Jang 5, Park - (Kim M 4); Koo 5 (Lee -), Ki 5, Lee J. 6; Son 7, Hwang 6, Kim S. 4 (Jung -)

Mexico - South Korea

Ochoa 7; Alvarez 6, Salcedo 6, Moreno 6, Gallardo 6; Layun 7, Herrera 7, Guardado 7 (Marquez -); Lozano 8 (Corona -), Vela 7 (Gio Dos Santos -), Hernandez 7

Cho 7; Lee Y. 5, Jang 6, Kim Y. 6, Kim M. 6 (Hong -); Moon 4 (Jung -), Ju 4 (Lee -), Ki 7, Hwang 6; Lee J. 5, Son 7

Germany - Sweden

Neuer 7; Kimmich 6, Boateng 4, Rüdiger 5, Hector 5 (Brandt -); Rudy 6 (Gündogan 5), Kroos 7; Müller 5, Draxler 5 (Gomez 5), Reus 8; Werner 7

Olsen 8; Lustig 5, Lindelöf 7, Granqvist 7, Augustinsson 5; Claesson 6 (Durmaz -), Larsson 6, Ekdal 6, Forsberg 6; Toivonen 7 (Guidetti -), Berg 6 (Thelin -)

South Korea - Germany

Cho H.W 9; Lee Y. 7, Yun Y.S 7, Hong C. 7, Kim Y. G 8; Lee J.S 7, Jung W.Y 7, Jang H.S 7, Moon S.M 6 (Ju -); Koo J.C 6 (Hwang - (Go -)), Son H.M 8

Neuer 5; Kimmich 4, Süle 6, Hummels 6, Hector 4 (Brandt -); Khedira 3 (Gomez 5), Kroos 5; Goretzka 4 (Muller 4), Ozil 4, Reus 4; Werner 4

Sweden - Mexico

Ochoa 7; Alvarez 5, Salcedo 5, Moreno 5, Gallardo 5 (Fabian 5); Herrera 6, Guardado 5 (Corona -), Layun 6 (Peralta -); Vela 5, Lozano 5, Hernandez 5

Olsen 7; Lustig 6, Lindelöf 7, Granqvist 7, Augustinsson 7; Claesson 7, Larsson 7 (Svensson -), Ekdal 7 (Hiljemark -), Forsberg 7; Berg 7 (Thelin -), Toivonen 7

Group G

Belgium - Panama

Courtois 7; Alderweireld 6, Boyata 6, Vertonghen 6; Meunier 6, Witsel 6 (Chadli), De Bruyne 7, Carrasco 5 (Dembele -); Mertens 7 (T. Hazard -), E. Hazard 8, Lukaku 8

Penedo 6, Murillo 6, R. Torres 6, Escobar 5, Davis 5; Gomez 5, Cooper 5, Godoy 5; J.L Rodriguez 5 (G. Torres -), Barcenas 6 (Diaz -), Perez 5 (Tejada -)

England - Tunisia

Pickford 5; Walker 5, Stones 7, Maguire 7; Trippier 8, Lingard 6 (Dier -), Henderson 7, Alli 6 (Loftus-Cheek 7), Young 6; Sterling 5 (Rashford 7), Kane 8

Hassen (Ben Mustapha 7); Bronn 6, S. Ben Youssef 6, Meriah 5, Maaloul 6; Skhiri 6, Sassi 7, Badri 5; F. Ben Youssef 6, Khazri 6 (Khalifa -), Sliti 6 (Ben Amor -)

Belgium - Tunisia

Courtois 7; Alderweireld 7, Boyata 6, Vertonghen 7; Meunier 8, De Bruyne 7, Witsel 7, Carrasco 7; Mertens 7 (Tielemans -), Lukaku 9 (Fellaini 7), E. Hazard 9 (Batshuayi 7)

Ben Mustapha 5; Bronn - (Naguez, 4), S. Ben Youssef 3 (Benalouane, 3), Meriah 3, Maaloul 3; Sassi 5 (Sliti -), Skhiri 4, Khaoui 5; F. Ben Youssef 5, Khazri 8, Badri 5

England - Panama

Pickford 7; Walker 6, Stones 8, Maguire 7; Trippier 8 (Rose 6), Lingard 8 (Delph 7), Henderson 7, Loftus-Cheek 6, A. Young 5; Sterling 6, Kane 8 (Vardy 6)

Penedo 4; M. Murillo 4, R. Torres (c.) 3, Escobar 4, Davis 3; G. Gomez 3 (Arroyo), Cooper 3, Godoy 4 (Avila 5); Barcenas 4 (Baloy 6), J. L. Rodriguez 5, B. Perez 4

England - Belgium

Pickford 5; Jones 5, Stones 6 (Maguire 6), Cahill 6; Alexander-Arnold 6 (Welbeck -), Loftus-Cheek 5, Dier 5, Delph 5, Rose 5; Rashford 5, Vardy 6

Courtois 6; Dendoncker 6, Boyata 6, Vermaelen 6 (Kompany -); Chadli 5, Fellaini 6, Dembélé 6, T. Hazard 5; Januzaj 8 (Mertens -), Batshuayi 6, Tielemans 7

Panama - Tunisia

Penedo 5; Machado 5, Escobar 5, R. Torres 7 (Tejada 5), Ovalle 5; Gomez 6 Avila 4 (Arroyo -), Godoy 5; Barcenas 6, Rodriguez 7 Torres 4 (Cummings 5)

Mathlouthi 6; Nagguez 5, Bedoui 5, Meriah 5, Haddadi 7; Skhiri 5, Sassi 5 (Badri 7), Chaalali 6; Ben Youssef 7, Sliti 7 (Khalil -), Khazri 8 (Srarfi -)

Group H

Colombia - Japan

Ospina 6; Arias 5, D. Sanchez 6, Murillo 5, Mojica 6; C Sanchez 1,Lerma 5; Cuadrado - (Barrios 6), Quintero 7 (James Rodriguez 7), Izquierdo 5 (Bacca -); Falcao 7

Kawashima 4; Sakai 5, Yoshida 6, Shoji 5, Nagatomo 5; Hasebe 4, Shibasake (Yamaguchi); Haraguchi 5, Kagawa 6 (Honda), Inui 5; Osako 6 (Okazaki)

Poland - Senegal

Szczesny 6; Piszczek 4 (Bereszynski -), Cionek 4, Pazdan 5, Rybus 5; Krychowiak 5, Zielinski 4; Blasczykowski 4 (Bednarek 4) Grosicki 5, Milik 4 (Kownacki -); Lewandowski 5

K. N'Diaye 7; Wagué 6, Sané 7, Koulibaly 6, Sabaly 7; Mané 6, Gueye 7, A.Ndiaye 6 (Kouyate), Sarr 7; Diouf 6 (N’Doye -), Niang 7 (Konate-)

Japan - Senegal

Kawashima 5; Sakai 6, Yoshida 6, Shoji 6, Nagatomo 7; Shibazaki 6, Hasebe 6; Haraguchi 6 (Okazaki -), Kagawa 6 (Honda 7), Inui 7 (Usami) -; Osako 6.

Kh. N'Diaye 6; Wagué 6, Koulibaly 6, Sané 6, Sabaly 7; B. N'Diaye 5 (N’Doye -), Gueye 6, A. N'Diaye 6 (Kouyate -); Sarr 7, Niang 6 (Diouf -), Mané 7.

Poland - Colombia

Szczesny 5; Piszczek 4, Bednarek 4 Pazdan 4 (Glik -); Bereszynski 5 (Teodorczyk), Goralski 4, Krychowiak 5, Rybus 5; Zielinski 4, Lewandowski 4 , Kownacki 4 (Grosicki 5)

Ospina 7; Arias 7, Mina 8, D. Sanchez 7, Mojica 6; Barrios 6, Aguilar 6 (Uribe 7); Cuadrado 8, Quintero 8 (Lerma -), Rodriguez 9; Falcao 7 (Bacca -)

Colombia - Senegal

K. Ndiaye 6; Gassama 6, Koulibaly 7, Sané 7, Sabaly 6 (Wague -); Sarr 5, Gueye 6, Kouyaté 5, Mané 5; Baldé 6 (Konate -), Niang 5 (Sakho -)

Ospina 6; Arias 6, Mina 8, D. Sanchez 8, Mojica 6; Uribe 6 (Lerma -), C. Sanchez 6; Cuadrado 6, Quintero 7, J. Rodriguez - (Muriel, 6); Falcao 6 (Borja -)

Japan - Poland

Kawashima 7; H.Sakai 6, Yoshida 6, Makino 5, Nagatomo 6; Yamaguchi 5, Shibasaki 6; G.Sakai 5, Muto 6 (Hasebe -), Usami 5 (Inui -); Okazaki 4 (Osako 5)

Fabianski 6; Bereszynski 6, Glik 6, Bednarek 7; Kurzawa 7 (Teodorczyk -), Krychowiak 6, Goralski 5, Jedrzejczyk 5; Grosicki 7, Zielinski 5 (Peszko -), Lewandowski 5

Second Round

France - Argentina

Armani 3; Mercado 6, Otamendi 6, Rojo 5 (Fazio 5), Tagliafico 5; Perez 4 (Aguero 6), Mascherano 6, Banega 6; Pavon 5 (Meza -), Messi 7, Di Maria 6

Lloris 5; Pavard 7, Varane 6, Umtiti 6, Hernandez 6; Pogba 8, Kanté 8; Matuidi 7 (Tolisso 6), Mbappé 9 (Thauvin -), Griezmann 8 (Fekir -), Giroud 7

Uruguay - Portugal

Muslera 6; Caceres 6, Gimenez 7, Godin 8, Laxalt 7; Vecino 5, Torreira 7, Nandez 6 (Sanchez -), Betancur 6 (Rodriguez 6); Cavani 9 (Stuani -), Suarez 8

R. Patricio 5; R. Pereira 6, Pepe 6, Fonte 7, Guerreiro 5; Carvalho 6, Adrien Silva 5 (Quaresma 6), B. Silva 7; Joao Mario 6 (Fernandes -), Guedes 4 (Andre Silva -), Cristiano Ronaldo 6

Spain - Russia

De Gea 5; Nacho 6 (Carvajal 6), Piqué 4, Sergio Ramos 6, Jordi Alba 6; Koke 4, Busquets 5; Asensio 5 (Rodrigo 7), David Silva 5 (Iniesta 7), Isco 8; Diego Costa 5 (Aspas 6)

Akinfeev 8; Mario Fernandes 7, Kutepov 7, Ignachevich 5, Kudriashov 5, Zhirkov 5 (Granat 4); Samedov 6 (Cheryshev 6), Kuzayev 5 (Yerokhin -), Zobnin 6, Golovin 7; Dzyuba 7 (Smolov 6)

Croatia - Denmark

Subasic 8; Vrsaljko 6, Lovren 6, Vida 6, Strinic 6 (Pivaric -); Brozovic 5 (Kovacic 7), Modric 7, Rakitic 7; Rebic 8, Perisic 6 (Kramaric -), Mandzukic 7 (Badelj -)

Schmeichel 9; Dalsgaard 5, Kjaer 7, M. Jörgensen 6, Knudsen 6; Christensen 5 (Schone 7), Delaney 7 (Krohn-Dehli -), Eriksen 6; Poulsen 7, Braithwaite 5 (Sisto -), Cornelius 5 (Jorgenson 5)

Brazil - Mexico

Alisson 6; Fagner 6, Thiago Silva 7, Miranda 6, Filipe Luis 6; Paulinho 7 (Fernandinho -), Casemiro 7; Willian 8 (Marquinhos -), Coutinho 7 (Firmino 7), Neymar 8; Gabriel Jesus 5

Ochoa 8; Alvarez 5 (Dos Santos 5), Ayala 5, Salcedo 5, Gallardo 6; Herrera 5, Marquez 6 (Layun 5), Guardado 5; Vela 7, Hernandez 5 (Jimenez 6), Lozano 7

Belgium - Japan

Courtois 7; Alderweireld 5, Kompany 5, Vertonghen 7; Meunier 7, Witsel 6, De Bruyne 7, Carrasco 5 (Chadli 7); Mertens 5 (Fellaini 7), Hazard 9, Lukaku 7

Kawashima 7; Sakai 6, Yoshida 6, Shoji 5, Nagatomo 8; Hasebe 6, Shibasaki 7 (Yamaguchi -); Inui 8, Haraguchi 7 (Honda -), Kagawa 7; Osako 6

Sweden - Switzerland

Olsen 7; Lustig 6 (Krafth -), Lindelof 7 Granqvist 7, Augustinsson 6; Svensson 6, Ekdal 6, Claesson 6, Forsberg 8 (Olsson -), Toivonen 5, Berg 5 (Thelin -)

Sommer 7; Lang 5, Djourou 6, Akanji 7, Rodriguez 7; Behrami 5, Xhaka 5; Shaqiri 6, Dzemaili 5 (Seferovic -), Zuber 5 (Embolo -); Drmic 4

Colombia - England

Ospina 7; Arias 6 (Zapata -), Mina 8, D. Sanchez 7, Mojica 6; C. Sanchez 5 (Uribe 7) , Barrios 5, Lerma 5 (Bacca 6) ; Quintero 5 (Muriel -), Cuadrado 7, Falcao 5

Pickford 8; Walker 6, Stones 7, Maguire 7; Trippier 8, Henderson 7, Lingard 6, Alli 6 (Dier 5), Young 6 (Rose 7); Sterling 6 (Vardy 6), Kane 8

Quarter-finals

France - Uruguay

Muslera 4; Caceres 6, Gimenez 6, Godin 6, Laxalt 6; Nandez 5 (Urreteviscaya -), Torreira 6, Vecino 5, Betancur 5 (Rodriguez -); Stuani 4 (Gomez -), Suarez 6

Lloris 8; Pavard 7, Varane 8, Umtiti 8, Hernandez 6; Kanté 8, Pogba 7; Tolisso 6 (Nzonzi -), Griezmann 7 (Fekir -), Mbappé 6 (Dembele -); Giroud 6

Brazil - Belgium

Alisson 6; Fagner 4, Thiago Silva 6, Miranda 7, Marcelo 8; Paulinho 5 (Renato Augusto 7), Fernandinho 4; Willian 6 (Firmino 7), Coutinho 7, Neymar 7; Gabriel Jesus 5 (Douglas Costa 7)

Courtois 8; Alderweireld 7, Kompany 7, Vertonghen 6; Meunier 7, Fellaini 8, Witsel 7, Chadli 6 (Vermaelen -); De Bruyne 9, Lukaku 9 (Tielemans -), Hazard 9

England - Sweden

Olsen 5; Krafth 5 (Jansson -), Lindelöf 6, Granqvist 6, Augustinsson 5; Ekdal 5, Larsson 5, Claesson 6, Forsberg 4 (Olsson 5), Toivonen 4 (Guidetti 5), Berg 6

Pickford 8; Walker 7, Stones 7, Maguire 8; Trippier 8, Alli 7 (Delph -), Henderson 7 (Dier -), Lingard 7, Young 7; Kane 7, Sterling 7 (Rashford -)

Croatia - Russia

Akinfeev 7; Fernandes 7, Kutepov 5, Ignashevich 5, Kudriashov 5; Samedov 5 (Yerokhin 6), Kuzyaev 5, Zobnin 6, Golovin 6 (Dzagoev -), Cheryshev 7 (Smolov 6), Dzyuba 6 (Gazinsky -)

Subasic 8; Vrsaljko 7 (Corluka -), Lovren 6, Vida 7, Strinic 6 (Pivaric 6); Modric 8, Rakitic 7; Rebic 6, Perisic 6 (Brozovic 7), Kramaric 7 (Kovacic 6); Mandzukic 7

Semi-finals

France - Belgium

Lloris 8; Pavard 6, Varane 8, Umtiti 8, Hernandez 6; Pogba 7, Kante 7; Matuidi 7 (Tolisso -), Mbappé 8, Griezmann 7; Giroud 6 (Nzonzi -)

Courtois 8; Chadli 6 (Batshuayi -), Alderweireld 7, Kompany 7, Vertonghen 6; Witsel 7, Dembélé 5 (Mertens 7), Fellaini 7 (Carrasco -; De Bruyne 8, Hazard 8, Lukaku 6

Croatia - England

Subasic 7; Vrsaljko 8, Lovren 7, Vida 6, Strinic 6 (Pivaric -); Brozovic 7, Modric 8 (Badelj -), Rakitic 7; Rebic 6 (Kramaric -), Perisic 8, Mandzukic 7 (Corluka -)

Pickford 7; Walker 6 (Vardy -), Stones 6, Maguire 7; Trippier 8, Henderson 6 (Dier -), Lingard 6, Alli 6, Young 6 (Rose -); Sterling 6 (Rashford 6), Kane 6

Third-Place Play-Off

Belgium- England

Courtois 7; Alderweireld 7, Kompany 6, Vertonghen 6; Meunier 8, Tielemans 6, Witsel 6, Chadli 6 (Vermaelen 5); De Bruyne 8, Lukaku 5, Hazard 8

Pickford 7; Jones 5, Stones 7, Maguire 7; Trippier 7, Dier 7, Loftus-Cheek 6, Delph 6, Rose 5 (Lingard 6); Sterling 6 (Rashford 6); Kane 5

Final

France - Croatia

Lloris 6; Pavard 5, Varane 7, Umtiti 7, Hernandez 7; Kanté 5 (Nzonzi 6), Pogba 8; Mbappé 7, Griezmann 8, Matuidi 5 (Tolisso -); Giroud 6 (Fekir -)

Subasic 5; Vrsaljko 7, Lovren 6, Vida 7, Strinic 6 (Pjaca -); Modric 7, Brozovic 7, Rakitic 7; Rebic 6 (Kramaric -), Mandzukic 7, Perisic 8

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This was the key for the ratings:

1 - Unbelievably awful
    2 - Terrible
    3 - Dire
    4 - Poor
    5 - Weak
    6 - Average/Fair
    7 - Good
    8 - Very good
    9 -Excellent
    10 - Phenomenal

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    These were my ratings for certain players who I thought did relatively well in their positions:

Goalkeeper

Courtois (7,7,6,7,8,8,7) 7.14

Subasic (6,6,8,8,7,5) 6.67

Lloris (7,7,5,8,8,6) 6.83

Pickford (5,7,5,8,8,7,7,) 6.71

Sommer (8,7,7,7) 7.25

Schmeichel (9,6,6,9) 7.5

Ochoa (7,7,7,8) 7.25

Akinfeev (6,6,6,8,7) 6.6

Ospina (6,7,6,7) 6.5

Right-back

Trippier (8,8,8,8,8,7)7.83

Vrsaljko (6,7,6,7,8,7) 6.83

Meunier (6,8,7,7,8) 7.2

Fernandes (8,7,6,7,7) 7

Pavard (6,6,7,7,6,5) 6.17

Left-back

Laxalt (6,8,7,6) 6.75

Hernandez (6,6,5,6,6,6,7) 6

Marcelo (7,6,8) 7

Kolarov (8,6,6) 6.67

Centre-back

Godin (8,6,7,8,6) 7

Varane (6,7,5,6,8,8,7) 6.71

Umtiti (4,6,6,8,8,7) 6.5

Maguire (7,7,6,7,8,7,7) 7

Stones (7,8,6,7,7,6,7) 6.86

Granquist (8,7,7,7,6) 7

Mina (8,8,8) 8

Thiago Silva (7,7,8,7,6) 7

Alderweireld (6,7,5,7,7,7) 6.5

Vertonghen (6,7,7,6,6,6) 6.33

Vida (7,7,6,7,6,7) 6.67

Defensive Midfield

Kante (7,8,6,8,8,7,5) 7

Brozovic (7,7,5,7,7,7) 6.67

Central Midfield

Modric (8,8,7,7,8,8,7) 7.57

Rakitic (7,8,7,7,7,7) 7.17

Pogba (6,7,8,7,7,8) 7.17

Henderson (7,7,7,7,6) 6.8

Attacking Midfield

De Bruyne (7,7,7,9,8,8) 7.67

Isco (8,8,8,8) 8

Coutinho (7,8,8,7,7) 7.4

Golovin (9,7,7,6) 7.25

Quintero (7,8,7,5) 6.75

Cheryshev (9,8,5,6,7) 7

Inui (5,7,8) 6.67

Winger

Hazard (8,9,9,9,8,8) 8.5

Perisic (6,7,7,6,6,8,8)

Rebic (7,7,8,6,6,6)

Lozano (8,8,5,7) 7

Forward

Mbappe (5,6,9,6,8,7) 6.83

Griezmann (5,5,4,8,7,7,8) 6.29

Neymar (6,7,8,8,7) 7.2

Ronaldo (9,7,6,6) 7

Messi (7,4,8,7) 6.5

Striker

Kane (8,8,8,7,6,5) 7

Lukaku (8,9,7,9,6,5) 7.33

Cavani (7,6,7,9) 7.25

Mandzukic (6,6,7,7,7,7) 6.67

Dzyuba (7,8,6,7,6) 6.8

Diego Costa (9,7,6,5) 6.75

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #173 PuckVanHeel, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Just after a quick glance and a bit from memory (too) I think Umtiti vs Uruguay and De Bruyne vs France are big outliers.

Over here they showed well how half-half Umtiti's interventions were and he was especially wasteful in the procession of the ball.

De Bruyne received nationally and internationally big criticism for his France display (esp. the last 45-55 minute) with a 5.0/6 rating by kicker for example or less extreme a 5/10 rating by FF (but still too low I think). Gazzetta dello Sport gave him a 5.
    He was also the player to lose the ball most often, no less than 28 times which is a lot within 90 minutes. Stat-driven exercises such as Squawka placed him in their flop team of the semi finals. KDB can be a hit or miss player at times. Ruud Gullit was a fan of what he did.

Also Griezmann vs Argentina an outlier in the way that most sources see it as the least good of his KO games (but his hard work and grafting might go a bit under the radar at times). I tend to agree with most that Uruguay and Croatia were his two best displays overall.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I can understand those thoughts.

Thought De Bruyne put a lot of balls into good areas in the first half but was let down by those around him. Also he constantly made himself available and was looking to influence things.

Umtiti was quite safety first but seemed to be decisive with a lot of interventions. In the first half he was clearing things left right and centre.

In terms of Griezmann he did a big defensive shift as well as offering a good deal going forward.

Ultimately it’s all very subjective though so I can understand differing opinions.

25. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Because its the World Cup year it deserves full list for the best players of the tournament.
    I'll come back on this with an extended list of 100.