World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Oct 10, 2017.

?

Who will win World Cup 2018

1. Germany

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Brazil

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. France

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Argentina

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Spain

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other Team

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does anyone know if Globo internacional will broadcast it? They didn't show today's friendly match.

2. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Living in Denmark next to Germany I watched the mach on German television. They were outplayed by Brazil. This should come as no surprise since Brazil won 13 of 23 matches againt the Germans.

Brazil was superior in all aspects of the game, only they should have produced 3 or 4 goals more.

Stern faces on German TV post match.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This will be the first WC since 1990 that neither Parreira nor Scolari will be a part of it as coaches.

Parreira is the record holder for WC participations (6) as a coach. He was a coach for Kuwait (1982), UAE(1990), Brazil (1994 and 2006), Saudi Arabia (1998) and South Africa (2010). He was also a physio for the 1970 WC Brazil team and a coordinator in 2014 for Brazil.

Scolari coached in 2002, 2006, and 2014.

4. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jesus, don’t even mention that name Scolari.

5. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Let's remember him for 2002.

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    2014 wasn’t all his fault.

7. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar to be back in 2/3 weeks. WOW

IVO ! repped this.
  8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I don't know...he is largely to blame. The team never played well the whole tournament. Firmino was already playing well in Germany and should have been called up. Calling up Bernard over his teammate, Douglas Costa, was a terrible mistake and the moment I saw Bernard in the starting line-up against Germany, I knew we would lose badly.

I remember Brazilians cursing out Dilma during the 2nd half. I yelled at some guy in front of me and told him hey, you should be chanting Scolari's name instead.

IVO ! repped this.
  9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scolari was the absolute pits and he will never recover from the greatest disaster in brazilian futebol since the 1950 final.
    But...... things may have been different had Neymar played.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Roque Jr. and Gallo who observed Germany supposedly suggested Scolari to play Paulinho in Neymar's place and Willian in the place of Fred basically because of Germany's strength in midfield. But that was something he never tried. Maybe Parreira told Scolari putting an extra midfielder in 2006 vs France didn't really work, but hindsight is always easy. I think there was plenty of blame to go around to everyone. However Scolari should have recognized the team wasn't well physically/form and played more cautiously. He thought he could cheer the players to a win. Probably would have still lost and then he'd get blamed for playing a retranca. It was a lose-lose situation for him.

leonidas repped this.
  11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Scolari was more at fault for his tactics than his selection. There wasn’t a big uproar over the selection back then. Robinho and possibly Miranda IMO was the biggest omission. While I blame majority on Scolari, we can’t ignore the players. Thiago Silva was pathetic as a leader. Alves didn’t show up to the point; he lost his spot to a past his prime Maicon. Paulinho was extremely poor and so was Marcelo. Speaking of Marcelo, he was just as much a disaster versus Germany as David Luiz. Excluding players that hardly played but only Neymar, Luiz Gustavo and to some extent Oscar and Julio Cesar can get a pass for 2014.

12. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In 2014 vs Germany just before the start of the match the Brazilians vowed to play / win for neymar. In that process they all went up the pitch with a point to prove forgetting about football basics. They ( even the coach ) forgot that football is played with tactics not with over- emotions. The Germans looked like a bunch of well oiled machines on a mission. In a span of 10/15 mins everything went wrong for Brazil. Even before they had realised what went wrong, they were already down by 4 goals.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The weird part about David Luiz is that he did have a really great WC up to that game. But his gung-ho mentality was a big problem against a team like Germany.

14. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dont count either of them out, don't Australia need a coach for the WC? Or did they find one?

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Agreed.

Roque Júnior, one of the Brazilian delegation's spies, warned Scolari that Brazil needed to crowd the midfield. After Germany defeated France in the quarterfinals, he and Alexandre Gallo, who watched that match, gave Scolari a report recommending Paulinho as a starter. The line-up would have had no center-forward and Fred would have been taken out of the starting XI, to be replaced by Willian.

The starting XI Roque Júnior suggested would have had a line of 5 in the middle: Luiz Gustavo, Paulinho, Oscar, and Willian, with Hulk alone up front. With a more mobile striker in the front, the defense, midfield, and attack sectors would have been more compact.

This lineup may not have sufficed to defeat Germany, but it would most likely have worked well enough to prevent what happened. If Team USA lost to Germany by only 1-0 and with a 2nd half goal, and if Algeria took Germany to extra time, there's no way that with the delegation Scolari had, that he could not have assembled a team with sufficient solidity to give Germany a challenge at least as tough as that which the Americans and Algerians did.

old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  16. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And he was the one I felt bad for the most!! Cause he tried to be the center defender, the center midfielder and the center forward at the same damn time!!! Too bad he wont be in Russia!!:(

17. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sorry to interrupt and go off topic but I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm doing a prediction contest for the upcoming World Cup. It basically consists of predicting the results of each match, from group play all the way to the final. Different points will be awarded based on whether you predicted the outcome (who won or was it a tie?) or the exact result (including penalties after extra-time). Depending on how much interest there is, I might do a second one starting from the Knockout Stages. Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested and please feel free to tell others (the more the better).

18. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yup...i am interested :)

gringolimon repped this.
  19. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Send me a message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the excel file where you can enter your predictions. I won't share your e-mail address with anyone.

20. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    People say that " neymardependencia" is gone from the Brazilian team... Is it really so ? Leave neymar from the playing 11 ...Now look at the Brazilian team. Can we win the WC ?

Now look at the Germans. Nobody is indispensable. They play as a team.

The Brazil team with neymar looks so strong. But without him are we really that good ? Can we win crunch games without him ? I am still not 100% convinced.

I know that even without neymar, we are better than Belgium, Netherlands, Croatia, Nigeria etc.

But are we better than Germany, Spain, France etc ? ( without him )

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  21. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As much as I would love to take part....I gave my word that I wouldn't do any predictions this World Cup!!:cry:

Jiripoca repped this.
  22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think the reality is that there aren't many teams out there that do have a talent like Neymar. And guess what? Those teams like Argentina and Portugal also suffer from their own superstar dependency issues.

Brazil is still better than those 2, even without Neymar.

Of course, against Germany, Spain, or France, it would be different. The good news is we'd only face those teams in the semifinal. Should Brazil make it to the Quarterfinal, we'd face Belgium / England / Colombia.

I think the important thing to consider too is we are working on having 2 different midfield formations - Paulinho or Douglas Costa starting. Our failure in 2006 and 2014 is we tried something that we never tried before. It was disastrous against Germany. And in 2006 against France, we had no offense, although on paper, I liked the line-up.

Quite happy that Douglas Costa is having a phenomenal season and we never had a player of his quality off the bench, especially in 2014 and 2010. Not to mention Firmino.

23. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Neymar dependency is no different than when we depended on Ronaldo or Romario without those players we can’t win but what’s different than 4 years ago is he has more quality around him that can serves as a better #2 or 3 option. There were games in qualifying were Neymar wasn’t at his best and guys like Willian, Jesus or Coutinho step up.

celito repped this.
  24. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    This is the best Brazil team on paper since 2006, I'd say. We have so many options, and more importantly, they are playing well in Europe.

25. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah this is surely true for WC'94 and thankfully Romario was on his best behavior cause if he was either red carded or injured...I strongly doubt that Muller or Viola would've been able to step up 100%