World Cup 2018 - Who will you watch?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by St. Michael's Sword, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And just as I write that Umtiti and Lloris both screw up.

0-1 USA

Rosay repped this.
  2. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I do think France is an overrated team. They have great individual talent, but not a team. I saw it against us, and I see it against the USA now. Players are so off with communication and do not know where their teammates are. This is gonna cost them in the World Cup. They should be able to make it out of their group, but after that I don't see them making it much further.

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And now Giroud might be out with a concussion.
    Its possible he'll recover within a few days, but its also possible recovery takes 4 weeks or so which might put him out of the WC

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    This is really going to hurt when this tournament has starts tomorrow, also its a bit of a stress relieve. Italian soccer really needs to stop this globalist mentality and I hope with the Italy potentially axing the EU they can get back to developing more from the roots up, with real Italian players.

6. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    I don't give a ******** tbh. There has been times that I did, but with it about to start I'll watch and enjoy it regardless. It's not as though we were going to win the thing, that was evident long ago.

If you can not score a single goal over 180+ minutes of football against that Swedish team, you don't deserve to be at the world cup.

The sad thing is, many of you here believe we still could have did well. You're living in a fantasy land.

zero goals against Sweden. None in two games. We don't deserve jack shit.

7. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with you in that I don't think we would have done well. However, Ventura got the absolute worst out of the mediocre (by italian standards but still good by world standards) group of players. Euro 2016 was considered the worst group of Italian players in a very long time and that group showed that at out worst we can still beat the best in the world on our day. We have that DNA.

We deserved to be in the tournament. However we must move on, cheer on Argentina in this World Cup and regroup for Nations league in the fall

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't followed England much in years. I used to be a big fan of English players. My memory goes back to Gazza , Peter Shilton, and before them Ray Clemence, Dave Watson, Terry Butcher, Kevin Keegan , Viv Anderson, Glen Hoddle, and Trevor Francis.

I'm kind of pulling for the underdog in this WC and the English deserve to win something sooner or later. Here is hoping they have a great tournament!

Go England! :thumbsup:

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm curious, why do you think you should support Argentina?

10. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    My guess is because many Argentine players play in the Serie A: Dybala, Higuain, Biglia, and Icardi (although he is not gonna be there). Not sure why else.

Dage repped this.
  11. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe this has something to do with it

UdineseFan98 repped this.
  12. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Exactly. Just sit back and enjoy the tournament.

13. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I think we could have been a QF team. Unfortunately being grouped with Spain and then playing a workman like Swedish team while many of our players were not in form. Still no excuse, but I don’t see any special teams in this WC. Brazil and Spain look he beat but Spain just got rid of their coach. I can see Germany being a disappointment. France have the most talent but can they put it together. Maybe a less hyped England can do something.

I will be rooting for less fancied teams. I will keep an eye on Serbia, think they could reach the Semis if things break right. Really hope SMS makes a big splash as he is truly a special player. I like the look of Senegal as well, Koulibaly at the back and tricky pacy forwards. Croatia have an excellent midfield. Uruguay can do something if Torreira can be a catalyst, they’ve been dangerous in recent times when they can find that link up for their forwards, like Forlan was at the Copa America in 2011.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Not sure about the poster you asked the question to but you know, as an Italian abroad, not having Italy in the tournament is sad.

With the majority of the population in Argentina coming from Italian descent, not to mention he majority of the Serie A clubs employing Argentineans , I wouldn’t mind seeing them win something again. As a fan of Italy players, the Italian league and the Italian national team out of the tournament, what’s the difference?

15. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    messi is never winning the world cup.

16. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Basically 85% of the team at one point was at one point technically eligible to play for Italy. Plus Messi imo deserves an international tournament. I don't want Brazil to win because I don't want the gap to widen in WC trophies. I don't want Germany to win (sorry) because they can't have more WC than us. **** Portugal. England, please, we would never hear the end of it.

Deleted User x repped this.
  17. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dybala / Higuain for me.

used to respect Germany and would pull for them over some other nations... but that has gone out the window lately as your country has loved kicking us when were down lately. From the Der Spiegel cover to michael ballacks tweet.. i sincerely now hope you guys choke on Low's sweaty stinky ballsack that he picks all game

johnny6 and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  18. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess Argentina makes sense.

Because a favorite is going to win this thing and all the other favorites I just cannot get behind

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Italy picked more Oriundi, they will have made the World Cup! Too bad Dybala didn't want to play fo us....

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough but you shouldn't give media so much attention ;P And Ballack had probably still something to swallow from 2006. Personally I regret deeply that you guys aren't at the tourney. I just want to see an UEFA team win it, I would even cross my fingers for England to go all the way in the final if they have to play a non-UEFA country. You see, I'm not that sane either xD

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Eder did score against Sweden in Euro 16. if it wasn't for him that game would have been a draw

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Icardi could have easily walked onto Italy. He would have been welcomed and a lot more appreciated than Argentina ever will be towards him.

Rosay repped this.
  23. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If somebody doesn't want to play and bleed for the shirt, I don't want them on the team.

calabrese8 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On another note, why doesn't FIFA bend the rules on the 23 man roster limit? Sooner or later with injuries and suspensions, they should expand the roster to maybe 26 players.

25. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    was just watching the highlights from Italy Spain game in Euro 16. makes me sad I won't get to watch the boys in blue this summer :(

falvo repped this.