World Cup 2018 squad

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by crzdcolombian, Jun 24, 2017.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    who are our 23 for the WC and how can they lose their spots. I saw Carlos Sanchez might go to China and made me think but I can't see Pekerman dropping him.

Obviously this is if we qualify

GKs-3 and our weakest spot
    1.) Ospina - he dies... only way he doesn't make it to Russia
    2.) Vargas - current #2. Unless Armani leaves Nacional or he starts at a good team he doesn't deserve to be on the team.
    3. David Gonzalez - starts at DIM. Old not that much NT experience

Potential
    A.)Armani - please join us you are our only hope
    B.) Cuadrado(11 caldas) - he is flaky
    C.) Envigados keeper - 23 years old and Colombian and starts. Our options are weak
    D.) please god for Xmas and my bday please send us a 6'3 phenomenon who is ready by May

CBS - 4
    4.) Mina
    5.) C. Zapata - not just because I don't rate him
    Highly but he needs to start next season.
    6.) O. Murillo - I can see him being taken out because in the weakest league. Mina took his spot
    7. Sanchez - been awful when he played so far but young and our after 2018 starter.

Potential
    A.) Jesion Murillo - gets his spot back he will be on the team.
    B.) Medina - can play CB, RB or dM. None all that well but utility player

Wingbacks - 4
    8.) Arias - only one I can't see not being included
    9.) Fabra - I know he isn't out NT starter but if he starts for Boca he is going
    10.) Armero or Farid - will only bring one of his older LBs. Farid going to Paraguay so see him
    Getting dropped
    11.) Medina - can play a ton of spots and always gets called

Potential
    A.) Machado - going to Europe he starts prob gets the nod.
    B.) Zuniga - starts next season or returns to Colombia and he will be in Russia like Abel did
    C.) super weak options hopefully a new player pops up. The Dept Cali one is wanted in Europe but their whole d seems way way too green

MF - 7 (12-16 can't see them not going)
    12.) James - the chosen one
    13.) Cuadrado
    14.) Cardona
    15.) Barrios
    16.) Carlos Sanchez - he is one of Pekermans main guys but if he goes to China he can get dropped like Little Mac did for going to Arabia in 2013
    17.) Daniel Torres - if he doesn't start next season he will be dropped
    18.) Abel - needs to start for Cali
    19.) Izquerido or another sub for James

Potential
    A.) Gio Moreno - he can replace Macnelly
    B.) Seb Perez - he needs playing time
    C.) Cuellar - another victim of bad transfer
    D.) Celis - hope he gets a good loan
    E.)Bendetti/Roa or another future starter he took Quintero last time
    F. Guadin - if he calls Gio and Sanchez who might be in China. Why not Guaro
    G.) Meija - we need a Box to box. Just wish he played like how he did for his club

Strikers - 4
    20.) Falcao - wrap him in bubble wrap
    21.) Muriel
    22.) Borja
    23.) Teo/Bacca - can see one of these as the ones with a foot out. Need to have a killer season

Potential
    A.) Daryo - beasting at Nacional can play on the wing like Muriel.
    B.) Duvan Zapata - doesn't score a ton but a great target guy up top who can hold Possesion and then feed it to Cuadrado or James coming from the win or back to Cardona for a rocket shot
    C.) Jon Córdoba - same as Duvan just 0 caps

HomietheClown repped this.
  2. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    In 2014, Pekerman brought Carbonero, Ibarbo, and Balanta. None of them were ever called up during the qualifiers. Arias wasn't called up until the very last round of qualifying matches.

Guys will pop up. Pekerman views the qualifiers and the World Cup as two distinct tournaments. It'll be easier to make a judgement when the next season gets under way.

pepinointer, ryu79 and HomietheClown repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the best candidate for a "pop up?' player with no Qualifying experience is Lerma. Now that Levante is back in the first division he will have plenty of chances to show what he can do.

Maybe someone from Medellin like one of the Morenos will pop up too.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I still think Marlos has the tools to make it to the World Cup too. Just needs playing time and a good situation. Although Izquierdo may be the better option.

5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Agreed with both. I think Lerma's a shoe-in. Moving to the proper team could easily get Marlos or even Borre in the mix.

My biggest dark horse candidates, right now, are Benedetti, Yairo Moreno, and Eduard Atuesta. Good performances in Sudamericana will be key for them.

krass repped this.
  6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea but my 23 are based on Pekermans current guys. Obviously pop ups will come and I am really hoping for it. Imagine we get 5 dudes where we don't even have to call up James because he isn't good enough to compete with them :)

Lerma was disappointing at the Olympics and Davison Sanchez was the 2 times he played. They are def starters after Russia but let's see how they do in friendlies.

Totally forgot about Lerma tho. Doesn't he have good free kicks as well?

7. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So we qualified already? Hope this thread doesn't jinx us, specially opened by Mr. "We haven't played good since the wc". One minute we're worthless, next we're "lifting the cup"

pepinointer and kromekote repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    HA.

Good point.

That said, it would take a major collapse not to get into Russia.

I don't see Ecuador/Paraguay/Peru putting us in 6th place.
    And I don't see New Zealand having a prayer if we fall asleep and get 5th.

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Any chance Edwin Valencia gets his health back to normal this year? He's like our version of abou diaby - made of glass.

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dude is done man been done since 2013..... he made out of glass and had 0 spot at Nacional. We need to look at players for the future not from 2 years past. Tho saying that I'd be cool calling up Mondragon

11. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Atuesta can get consistent PT, he's my darkhorse to play the world cup for Colombia. He's a younger, more agile version of Abel Aguilar.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who? What team does he play for?

13. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    DIM

SUB 20 LINK

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ive always found we are better with valencia than without, but his is a position where i think there are a few options, including abel (who can do the vet leadership thing sufficiently)

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Valencia was actually having a good 2015 Copa America until his injury. Was crucial in helping us beat Brazil for the first time in years.
    I am leaning toward saying he is done unless he starts playing for Atletico Nacional and just finds a way to miraculously stay healthy until the end of July 2018
    We have younger guys though who will probably step up before that is likely to happen.

16. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    agree but One thing I've seen lately with Abel is he's slowed down quite a bit. He was never super speedy we all know that but he's playing at a much slower pace than what I recall him playing even 2 years ago. Was hoping Seba could fit that role nicely at this point but he'll be out until Fall.

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Someone said it before we won't know the team till July and the team that qualifies doesn't mean they will go to Russia.

I don't see Macnelly or Abel in Russia. Abel has a ton of up and comers to compete with who play in stronger leagues and actually play. Gio Moreno and a ton of up and comers competing with Macnelly.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you think Abel is the kind of player now that can play 3 group stages games over a 7-10 day period?

That what it is going to boil down to for some of these guys who we haven't seen as frequently this 14-18 era.

19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Pekerman sat him vs Brazil which I think was a mistake but that will be 4 years ago by the next world cup, so no I don't see him playing 3 games in a short time. But Abel brings an incredible amount of leadership and futbol IQ that is hard for a position that's constantly in movement. Wether he's prepared physically or not for the challenge will be up to him and Pekerman but tactically he's a very disciplined player. The fastest guy on the field can never out run the ball.

20. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #20 pepinointer, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Dayro made a bad impression to pekerman in Cooa America centenario never called up back again....he is black listed

You also missed izquierdo ( new ibarbo?)

Roger (in case he go to europe( and Santos Borre have more option since pekermsn have called them regularly without show a lot of merits .........yeah considering that they have an “acceptable season“

Maybe Berrio and Marlos with a good season could turned again ...chars in junior too

If Arango adapts so well in benfica as Montero did could be another option ( consenting that be star in Portugal isn't imposible mission )

Players to watch this season in weak positions

John Duque ( millonarios ) central midfielder

Brayan ángulo that will play in junior ( left back )

Maybe Mateus Uribe will come back to the radar in Mexico

Andrés Tello evolution in Italy ...

Dayron Mosquera ( Santa Fe ) left back

HomietheClown and crzdcolombian repped this.
  21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Althogh he was so resposible that we got 3 pints in quito......when our midcamp was a chaos before. somethin taht torres, uribe never fixed

22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Few options maybe................good proved options in the NT DEFINITELY NO.

is os evident how bad have played colombia in some matches because we missed an important player there.

Actually we needed to called buck abel again in not his ideal shape to improve a little.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We need friendlies and then we can fk around with new players

If we win the next two games we qualified? If we are then I don't mind picking a ton of new guys to try in the last two games. I hate when we lose but if it's a lose trying new guys and 1-2 new options pop up then so be it

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We have proved a lot of new guys.......especially when we lose we have new guys.

Not in all matches we have to bring 5 new guys to say that we bring new guys.

debutants in wcq:

Wilmar Barrios (Brasil)
    Guillermo Celis (Bolivia)
    Frank Fabra (Peru)
    Berrio (Chile)
    Borja (Chile)
    Cuellar (Ecuador)
    Mina (Paraguay)
    Davinson Sanchez (Argentina)
    Sebastian Perez (Bolivia)
    Daniel Torres (Bolivia)
    Mateus Uribe (Bolivia)
    Farid Diaz (Bolivia)
    Oscar Murillo (Bolivia)
    Roger Martinez (Brasil)
    Marlos Moreno (Bolivia)
    Fabian Castillo (Peru)
    Felipe Pardo (Chile)
    Duvan Zapata (Bolivia)
    Luis Quiñones (Bolivia)

18 ********ing guys in wcq.

not counting the guys that have debuted in friendlies........

Do you say that we dont prove new guys????? actually only diaz, mina and in a couple fo mathces (torres and perez) proved conditions....neither davinson have played well.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the way pekerman has been incorporating new faces has been pretty solid. sometimes there are circumstances out of his control where he has to throw in inexperienced players into the fire b/c of injuries/cards/suspensions etc.

the way he puts in new faces with experienced players is the best tryout a player can really get. example...the brazil-colombia Chapocoense friendly produced Mateus Uribe who then was thrown in the fire for the Bolivia and Ecuador games and what did you think of his 2 WCQ games? it was pretty underwhelming...

Izquierdo had a good 30 minutes against Cameroon; i do wish he would have played more than 3 minutes against Spain though....but at least he has gotten his feet wet with the core team. hopefully we'll see more of him in the next 2 WCQ's

Number of Friendly Games in 2016/2017 for South American teams - it's not like we play less games than other teams. 2016 - Copa America, UEFA Euro and WCQs; so the number of teams we can play in friendlies are limited.
    Chile: 5
    Brazil: 4
    Colombia: 4
    Uruguay: 3
    Argentina: 3