World Cup 2018 - RSL BS Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Lizzie Bee, Jun 13, 2018.

1. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the USMNT out I was rooting for the my Grandpa's country, Sweden. Plus today is the most import Swedish holiday.

Sweden you are killing why commit a faul so close to goal in stoppage time, and why not play with more pressure up a man. Sweden let them take that from them.

Also it was a missed PK that Sweden should have awarded

It was an entertaining match.

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about my German team, I was resigned to a early exit until that final set piece.

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden was on the attack about a minute before the goal, and the player took the shot when a rolled ball across the 18 would have resulted in an easy tap-in and a Sweden win.

rslfanboy, RoyalNonesuch and goobx1 repped this.
  5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that play was killer for Sweden - but they have to play to win too. They were up a man - this is the World Cup, go for the throat.

Sweden and Costa Rica got punished for pursuing a draw.

trackrunner repped this.
  6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this has been considered a while back and the answer was Nope.

7. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite line so far was in the Portugal/Iran game. Quaresma did a pretty harsh tackle on Exatolahi - kind of nicked him in the berries - and Aly Wagner says, “Quaresma comes in and retaliates and doesn’t even come close to the ball. The soccer ball.”

Made me chuckle.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the ending of those two games was wild even if it did end up with the way we all thought it would - spain first and portugal second

RoyalNonesuch and RSLer repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both of them were shaky and I don’t think they go the semi finals. Portugal is very fortunate that Ronaldo didn’t get the red card he deserved.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question to everyone: would you rather play Russia or Uruguay in the next round?

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice analysis! So far I have been pleased with VAR in the WC. Yes it has caused some delays, but the resulting changes in calls/non-calls have made the delays bearable. There have been weaknesses in the system too. In the game today Pique had a clear handball that was not called by VAR. I would like to see two more advances in its use and in officiating in general. First, the “bear-hug” defense on set pieces needs to be officiated out of the game. I think this would result in more goals, which is good for the fans. Personally, I like the fact that VAR has resulted in more set piece goals. More set pieces means more goals. It’s one of the first things I learned about soccer. Both the 1978 book Richtige Fussballspielen by Gerhard Bauer and the 1975 book Winning Soccer by Al Miller and Norm Wingert (Chris’ dad) brought out the importance of tactics which result in set pieces. That said, the other officiating improvement needs to be more penalizing of flopping. This might result in fewer set pieces, but flopping reduces the integrity of the game and, to me, the enjoyment of watching games.

RoyalNonesuch and BalanceUT repped this.
  12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What I don't understand is when a player dives and the ref waves it off, why does the player not get a yellow? If it's not a foul, isn't the dive punishable ? Or has that rule changed recently?

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was a rule change requested by CONCACAF because some Central American teams would have no players on the field by the end of the game.

Taragui, RSLer, goobx1 and 5 others repped this.
  14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think often players come together and one or both fall due to that. But, just because there was collision and falling doesn't mean that a foul occurred, nor does it mean a flop occurred. Some contact is part of the game, is not infringing, can result in a fall, therefore is not a 'dive', nor is it a foul. When the official is waving it off, he/she is simply saying, 'soccer happens, play on.'

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    embellishment is a punishable offense, too. Like the waived off Neymar penalty. Is he touched? Sure, but come the ******** on. That should have been a yellow card. I pray for the day that a ref hands out yellows to both players on a tackle. One for the guy who committed the foul, one for the guy rolling 15 times to let him know.

rslfanboy, RSLer, acima and 2 others repped this.
  16. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the "ole" chant for completed passes by the Latin countries.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that along with whistles towards the other team having possession are things I wish we did more at the RioT

18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love modern technology. Using split screen on my phone so I can watch both games at once. I miss being on vacation where we could just watch on TV.

Also, I find it a little amusing that a lot of TV's don't do picture in picture anymore. We're in an era where you could have 2 programs going side by side in a TV big enough to still see the action clearly, and it's rarely a feature now.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It drives me nuts how few tv companies do pip now. I LOVE PIP. Oh well

Kudos to Argentina. It sure as hell wasn't pretty, but they're through. That match up with France is going to be something else. Feel bad for Iceland but they just couldn't convert. Nigeria probably feels the most hard done.

RSLer, trackrunner and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping Iceland or Nigeria could pull it off.

I'd use it so often when it comes to sports that are on at the same time. It's also fun looking back at how we somehow dealt with stuff like 4 way split screen for multiplayer games, and now that it could be done a lot better, it's barely a thing anymore thanks to the internet.

acima and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like at Azteca (and other places) when a visiting team out performs the national team, and the crowd flips and starts chanting ole for completed visitor passes, and whistles for home possession

22. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man that Argentina game had the best ending. Rojo had a disappointing year at ManU but to come in and save the day for Argentina, and then Messi jumping on his back to create the perfect metaphor for Argentina's world cup thus far. Then cut to Maradona's celebration and that's... two middle fingers up for Nigeria and a "put..."- whoa cut back to the celebration cuz apparently he's coked out of his mind. So glad I'm able to watch while at work, it was a good day.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'll be the first to say Argentina is not playing as a team, but if they had gone out on that weak Nigeria PK call, it would have been disappointing.

Although, it might have been worth it to see Maradona's meltdown.

And before you respond and say FIFA is cracking down on bear hugs on set pieces, to which I agree is a ridiculous flouting of the rules and needs to be curtailed, Mascherano was in no way the worst offender in the game, let alone the tournament. To choose that moment to be the strict enforcement rule guy was bad judgment on the refs part.

If 4 or 5 of these were called during the course of the game, I would believe they really want the bear hugs to end, but one game-changing PK?

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In such a large tournament it’s difficult to get consistency throughout the officiating cadre. According to that Match Commissioner guy the referees were given video to study prior to the tournament. In that video bear-hugging on set pieces was specifically highlighted for them to call as fouls. That’s going to be inconsistently applied because the officials operate typically in an environment where it is basically ignored and, most likely, they don’t even look for it. Also it’s easy for one or more other players to block the official’s view of the bear-hugs. But, when they see it they should call it.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Had to chuckle at the play by play announcer during the Mexico game, “It’s not the best time to die”, as the camera caught Osorio possibly choking on a piece of gum.