World Cup 2018 - RSL BS Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Lizzie Bee, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the best comparison is Star Wars fans. You know those truly annoying ones that can't just enjoy the movies for what they are? Movies. That's what the Messi/Ronaldo thing turns into. The haters, as you point out, are obnoxious as hell. I get more irked by Messi fanboys largely because of my club preferences (Real over Barca). They're both truly talent individuals that we're lucky to get to watch.

Though, your point about Messi needing reps and a system, to me, indicate that he is in fact not the greatest player ever. This is the premier tournament of the sport. It's the World Cup. This is what every kid playing in the street/backyard/school etc dreams of. Sure, we also dreamed of playing for a variety of big clubs, but we ALL dreamed of wearing the national team kit and playing in the world cup. how could you not? So for Messi to not step up in these games... it just takes away from any "GOAT" argument, for me.

On the club level, sure, he's insane. But to use your own argument against you: he's the keystone in a club built around him. He should flourish there. Ronaldo has the same thing at Madrid - The difference is he then takes it to Portugal with not anywhere near the same level of talent and continues to deliver.

DrownedElf, Ivensor, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the World Cup:
    • It's crazy to me that Russia is not only guaranteed to advance, but has a very real shot at being the 1A seed. Kudos to them for taking advantage of a weaker group and proving us all wrong on their collective talent.
    • On the flip side, talk about underwhelming in Group A from the other 3 teams. Even Uruguay, with 6 points, has been rather toothless given the offensive power they have. I expect that to bite them (pun intended) in the last group game and set them up as the 2A seed.
    • I can't cheer for Spain. Too many villains on the team - and I like Sergio Ramos. I hope Portugal continue this dream run and get a result against Iran. In fact, my dream scenario is Portugal and Iran draw while Morocco beats Spain by 2 goals and knocks them out.
    • The Peruvians showed so much promise and heart yet took just 2 games to end their run. It's really sad, honestly. They were the better side against Denmark and probably deserved a point against France. But you have to score and they still haven't. I'm curious to see what type of Peru side takes the field in their last game against Australia. They have loads more talent but the Aussies have shown they don't much care how much talent their opponents have. In the end, though, I don't see a way for it not to be Denmark and France that advance. France as the top seed
    • Group D is nuts and we should have known it would be with Iceland in it. You can't help but cheer for them, though cheering against Nigeria will be tough. Argentina will be wanting either a draw or Nigeria win over Iceland tomorrow, so naturally I'm hoping for a draw or Iceland victory. Croatia would LOVE a draw as then they would seal the top spot in the group and get to rest players against Iceland in the last group game.
    • If Brazil doesn't beat Costa Rica I don't think they advance
    • I expect Germany to take 6 points out of the next 2 games and win the group - Mexico will have a big game let down and lose to South Korea.
    • I expect Group H to be finished in terms of who will advance this weekend. Then I expect England to get their nations hopes up with a win or draw against Belguim before they crash out in the quarters.
    • Group H is honestly a mess. The Poland/Colombia game is going to be wild, I think. Senegal v Japan, as well, should be a fun one to see who really takes advantage of the favorites both losing their opening games.

All in all, this has been a rather weird world cup. The quality has been lacking in a lot of parts - especially the finishing. Maybe I'm romanticizing previous world cups, but I feel like by now we've had a bunch of truly great goals at this point in previous tournaments instead of the few we've been treated to in this tournament. I also love the underdog story but feel it's not being caused so much by superior underdog play as opposed to just really bad play from the favorites.

RSLer and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Two of the greatest players ever to have played the World's game during the same era while I'm alive and well is something to wonder and be thankful for.

4. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ This

For years it was Pele or Maradona. Two all time great players from different eras of the game that never played against each other.

We have two all time greats playing at the same time and against each other. Messi has better stats per game but Ronaldo has better total numbers and the x factor of showing up and winning the most important trophies (euros, champions league). While we can debate which stats are more important, but sit back and enjoy because never have we had two all time greats at the same time . . .

It's Pele

5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sick about Peru, but it's fun in a new way not to have the US involved.

I love randomly cheering for different colors, climes and cultures. To imagine how it feels to be sipping something from ceramics in the shade of stones surrounding Tunis, watching the game with "everyone" and praying for a coal ocean breeze...breathing Atlantean Air...or is it Airplane Glue?

This event is a pageant of humanity.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the VAR correctly revealed that Neymar wasn’t fouled in the box there, I don’t understand why Neymar wasn't given a yellow for diving.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil deservedly wins it in extra time. They were much better than Costa Rica today.

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently in mourning that Iceland lost.

trackrunner, acima and RSLer repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had looks but couldn't convert. I thought Nigeria were a bit better, but not as much as the score indicated.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serbia is playing a really fun style of soccer. Should have 2-3 at the half.

Paleworm repped this.
  11. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly why I can't stand Neymar. He could have finished that play if he made any attempt to fight through the challenge. He had the defender beat but feels a tiny bit of contact and instead of trying to get the shot off he just decides to fall over. Waste of talent imo.

RSLer repped this.
  12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why Costa Rica didn't get at least one red card for hacking and time wasting.

But, if came back to bite them in the ass after Brazil scored in stoppage time and then to rub it in, they scored a second time.

RoyalNonesuch and RSLer repped this.
  13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s Costa Rico’s style of play. The Ticos play a bit of a thug game imo. As long as referees let them do it there’s no incentive to change.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's this cup's iteration of the Ticos. 2014 was sound defensively but hand real talent in the attack.

rslfanboy repped this.
  15. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed this article about Peruvian fans sacrifices to attend the world cup. Some sold their houses and life savings, other quit jobs, some quit jobs in the USA and as non residents will be forced to move back to Peru, and another had enough money to make to Russia but not back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44549615

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really rooted for Peru.

Tomorrow morning I am off to a watch party with several dozen other folks for the Mexico-Korea game. It ought to be a blast.

17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s amazing what people will do for a religious pilgrimage.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marrufo is the referee for the Belgium game this morning. Could be a feces show.

19. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    El Tri looked a little shaky toward the end, but they handled South Korea this morning.

Little Pea is doing well. My wife is his biggest fan.

Lizzie Bee and RSLer repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany is in real trouble here.

georg repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden is in real trouble here.

;)

rslfanboy, Ivensor and georg repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany is in real trouble here.

Ivensor and georg repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden . . . Sweden is in real trouble here.

15 to 32, Ivensor, acima and 2 others repped this.
  24. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I AM LOSING MY ********ING MIND

THIS IS WHAT THE WORLD CUP IS ALL ABOUT

GERMANY!!!!!!!!!

RSLer repped this.
  25. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    What a freaking free kick. I'm gutted. Uggh..

Beat Mexico! Come on South Korea!

Heja Sverige!

RSLer and trackrunner repped this.