World Cup 2018 - RSL BS Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Lizzie Bee, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I was going to interrupt my Sunday morning birdwatching with the World Cup Final.

But France v Croatia? That's for the birds.

Birdwatching it is.

2. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, Boz. Nothing sacks my groceries like spotting a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak on a Sunday morning. Even so, I'm watching the game, hoping the underdog wins.

Is everyone staying home for this one or is there a bar somewhere that's serving early-morning BS mimosas?

RoyalNonesuch and Boz repped this.
  3. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping Croatia wins the final. Not because I like them more than France, but because I'm currently winning my bracket pool. One person has France winning and she could overtake me on points with the win. Thanks a lot, Germany!

World Cup Bracket.JPG

RSLer repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pool I am in pays out to four people: 1st place gets 40% of the pot, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%, and last place who tried gets 10% (tried as in picked reasonable scorelines and made a pick on all games). I blew it yesterday and got bonus points for picking the right score both for regulation and overtime, moving me out of last place and the coveted 10% payout.

BalanceUT, RSLer and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  5. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter's got France winning the final and she's in 4th place in our pool. What's the chance we're in the same pool?:eek:

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  6. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The fact that this hope may come to fruition just shows how much has changed since WWII. :p

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, are you talking about actual birds like eagles, seagulls, etc., or the English slang term for women? I'm kind of confused.

Anyway, I was pulling for France to win it all since I thought they would be playing against the English, but now with Croatia in the final, I'm not so sure since I would like some other country who isn't a soccer powerhouse to win the World Cup for a change.

Fun fact #1: There have been 20 World Cups (the current one being the 21st), but there have only been 8 countries (Uruguay, Italy, Germany, Brazil, England, Argentina, France and Spain) who have ever won the World Cup.

Fun fact #2: The final of the 1954 World Cup, between West Germany and Hungary was played in Wankdorf Stadion in Bern, Switzerland. In case you are wondering, Wankdorf Stadion isn't far from Wanker County.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. This England vs Belgium game is so good. This would have made an amazing final.

9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like England is going home empty handed. Yay Belgique!

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch - first game this whole tournament - because of my own personal dislike of the third place game. I just don't like the idea that a team which makes a terrific run goes home with two straight losses.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia was the much better team in the first half, but are behind. The first French goal was pure BS, coming off of a dive. The second was just pure luck with the inadvertent hand ball. I think France will eventually win- - - the cumulative wear and tear from all of the OT games played by Croatia will catch up to them later in the 2nd half.

Ismitje repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogba has had a terrific tournament. That 3rd goal was all him. He made the long pass to Mbape, then was there to make the shot. Pretty incredible. The French counter has been impressive the entire tournament. It’s been the best in the tournament.

RoyalNonesuch and Ismitje repped this.
  13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh World Cup 2018. You've been a hell of a thing. I'll miss you.

Ivensor, 2nd Mouse, DrownedElf and 5 others repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The road to Qatar ‘22 will make for a bumpy ride...but it should be an interesting one.

15. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which world cup coach would you like the USMNT hire