World Cup 2018 - RSL BS Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Lizzie Bee, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a spot for our inevitable discussion of Egypt and Iceland's surprising path to the World Cup final. Or Germany and Belgium. Or whoever. Anybody else do a prediction on fotmob? I have a league running with my coworkers and I'm happy to take the two seconds to create a league for RSL BS fans if there is any interest.

Who do you think is going to win it all? I'm cheering for Germany this year.

trackrunner, RSLer and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Germany's to lose. Though an interesting report ran at my office gave Brazil the highest odds at winning at 18%. So the models don't agree with the eyeball test.

What I'm most excited for is the inevitable Germany/England match that ends on pk's

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are any of you planning to attend the RSL watch parties in Herriman? I think I'll plan to hit at least one of them this weekend.

RSLer repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might if the skies are cloudy at Bryce Canyon

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ja. Deutschland uber alles, noch einmal.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    I'm all in for Germany. That's where I got to know and fall in love with soccer. Being retired I told my wife I'd be spending a lot of time in front of the TV for the next while. Should be fun.

rslfanboy repped this.
  7. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My company opened an office in Poland recently, so I'm all in behind Poland.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  8. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Argentina for me. I feel as though Argentina and RSL are connected somehow. Who else comes in second more than Argentina?

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're tied so far. ;)

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am totally excited for the World Cup. The tournament I least enjoyed wasn't one of the ones I watched in which we didn't participate, but the one in 1998 when we were more or less pitiful* - and I think things were shaping up for a pitiful tournament if we had managed to make it this time around, so I am less disappointed than I expected. Mostly just excitement.

Who to root for though? I have some affiliation from living in Portugal for a year and a half, Spain half a year, Mexico for a summer, and Sweden for a summer. I studied the Argentine national team for my MA thesis. I knew a couple of players from the Super Eagles back in the day. I "fell in love" with the Beautiful Game watching Belgium play in 1986. I have a soft spot for underdogs and more especially for countries where this really matters to a populace, but where hooliganism is all but non-existent. I want CONCACAF to do well so we merit whatever spots we get in a given tournament's allocations. I prefer beautifully played soccer, and I prefer teams with heart (which are often competing preferences, but whatever). One of my favorite-ever moments was watching Colombia tie West Germany late in 1990 (as a missionary, in a bar in Spain), with the announcer screaming that it was "PROOF THAT GOD. IS. COLOMBIAN!" I like upsets. I have good friends in/from several of the competing countries. So who to root for?

I am going to root for . . . Peru! And pick Belgium to win it all.

* More. The answer is we were more pitiful.

12. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I chose Germany, I know, so original. I am, or still need to write a comparative research paper on business culture with comparing them to the US. So that's my justification with that.
    P.S. I don't expect to do very well, my picks are usually garbage

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, my picks are straight up silly. I wasn't trying to win. I justify Germany due to the fact that I have a lot of German blood in my ancestry. Also a lot of Swiss blood, so go Switzerland.

(I'm 50% British, but meh.)

RSLer and andyslc repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I chose Germany because they are my second favorite foreign team and I think they will do well. My favorite team outside of the USA is Portugal. I’ll be cheering for them but I’m not expecting a lot. Iceland making a great run will amp up the fun for me. And, of course, I would like to see CONCACAF do well...except for Mexico. I want Mexico to do a face plant.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I can't bring myself to root for Germany. So...Morocco? I guess? Or Peru, because of their videos, maybe. I can probably be persuaded to cheer for any team that's never won before.

Anywho, I got my Youtube TV subscription set up this morning and I'm ready to go. I don't really care who wins. I'm just looking forward to watching.

RSLer, Lizzie Bee and Boz repped this.
  16. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nice choice. YouTubeTV kicks ass.

I'm rooting for any team that attacks and wants to play attractive soccer. So, maybe I'll be rooting for... nobody.

RoyalNonesuch and Taragui repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this first game is ugly as shit

RSLer repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jaw-droppingly bad. It's like watching a USL match from the bottom of the table.

15 to 32 repped this.
  19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil to win it all behind Neymar!! And we'll meet Germany in the semifinals and erase the taste of the 7-1 loss with a 8-0 trouncing of Die Mannschaft!!!

20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great ready for more quality soccer like that in 2026 when the World Cup expands to 48 teams!

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot it even started today. I guess that's what happens when the US isn't in it.

I'd love for Portugal to win it all. Ronaldo could use that final trophy in his case.
    Outside of that, I just want to see some good games.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is exactly the type of game that will happen in the group stages of a 48 team world cup.
    This was the worst possible game, at least ranking wise, of this tournament. so... it's only going to get better from here?

What is really sad is that Saudi Arabia at least wants to play soccer. Russia is just horrendous technically. I think Uruguay is watching this wondering if they score 7 or 8 goals in each of the games against them. And if Mo Sallah is healthy...

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this game almost feels fixed

rslfanboy, RoyalNonesuch and Allez RSL repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Argentina win their group and Portugal take second in theirs (very likely) then they run into each other in the quarters.
    I want that soooo bad. And I want Portugal to win so all the Messi/Barca fanboys can have it shoved in their face, once again, that Messi is a hell of a player who doesn't know how to do it for his national team in the big moments while Ronaldo thrives in those moments.

RSLer, acima, El-ahrairah and 2 others repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see this as well