World Cup 2018 Qualification

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Promes and Lens are different players. Promes is more gifted with the ball but Lens is a better athlete. We tried to use Lens as ST relying on his speed and depth, it didn't work.
    Don't forget Promes is playing in a 4-4-2 with Spartak this season, along Movsisyan/Ze Luis/Davydov, it's totally different from our system.

2. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    There's a big difference between german football and our football. De Boer tried Schone as false 9 with Ajax and it was clownesque. Let's be honest, from Ajax to PSV to NT we have defenders that keep passing to each other and end up sending a long ball. Even tonight against Wolfsburg. So at least players like Luuk or Huntelaar can win an aerial challenge and pivote, it won't be the case if we use Promes or Wijnaldum or Depay or Robben...

You can try to play with a false 9 when you already have a team that can play football, Germany even tried it with Gotze, Spain with Fabregas...With our current back passing football it won't work that well I guess.

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I also like to share the same sentiment linking it to the taboo in Dutch football which needs to be flushed to be down the toilet. It's obvious PSV, Feyenoord, Ajax are will always be receive Oscar nominations so what's does this mean for other players who are are playing out of eredivisie and other teams in eredivisie apart from the three king pins in Dutch league. The indication here is if you are playing above average in eredivisie you are guaranteed front row seat.

I wonder if all the dutchies playing outside of eredivisie decide to come back like Elia and Luuk.

5. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the kind of mentality that has crippled NT and if this continues there is no hope.

6. van banger

van banger New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    For me it's not the strongest squad but time will tell if they can do something, I would play 3142 with this bunch, they aren't good enough to play 433 as in speed of ball movement IMO, the defence needs protection and I would play Van Dijk as the holding mid, yes Van Dijk. On current form he is our best defensive player and has good passing and vision as well as decent foot speed ball mastery, he is not slow and is a big lump of a man.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do you mean? Can you expand a little?

8. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think he means that Dutch players leaving teams like Ajax and Psv to join teams like Norwich who are always gonna be relegated

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind has no clue. Leaves out Depay and Van Persie? I understand the current poor form but to make critical remarks about Memphis makes it look as if HE is responsible for the all of sudden bad play and results.

Reality is Depay has struggled at ManU (no surprise to me as he lacks big match experience) so to leave him out when he is one of the few dynamic options is wrong even if he is having trouble at club level. Wonder how he handles this situation? Being dropped and openly critiqued will test his resolve. This is a big moment in Memphis' development both on the playing side and psychologically as well.

Van Persie as i said needs to go but again Blind benches him, then makes him Captain, then drops him in a 3 game span. Bizarre.

Now the question begs to be asked why is Cillessen in goal? He has been horrendous and his mentality is weak. As for the other field positions he better figure out a formation, and some kind of system of play. Are we going to play fast? How about Pressing? Has our Manager explained his tactical thought process?

I am hoping not to see Van Der Wiel, Bruma, Klaassen, Huntelaar, or the Coaches son because they have sucked the last 4 are too slow and its hard to watch.

Its a shitshow plain and simple.

thatkid and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @ Antario2 "Eredivisie top teams have the benefit of playing in Europe which offsets much of the advantage of playing in a stronger league"

Playing 6 games in CL doesn't offsets anything. Ajax played four conservative seasons in CL. What happened to all the dutch players who were part of the squad . Van Der Weil, too some extent but has always being second fiddle. Again at NT level he hasnt accomplished much even though playing in CL through out. What a waste.

"The only thing players learn at bottom feeders in top leagues is how to stop the opposition from playing"

This is jus cap. It's all about technical ability of players and not whether they are playing for bottom feeders or in any other league for that matter. Newcastle contingent is a perfect example. Bacuna at AV is another whom should have called up by now but unfortunately playing in AV compared to eredivisie is not seen as being competitive.

so define competitive????

This has to change big time.

11. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Getting spanked by a handful of big teams in a top league a few times a season doesn't do much for the development of a player either. I agree that players need to be looked at individually, but players like Bacuna, Verhaegh and the others at Newcastle with the exception of Wijnaldum have shown very little to justify a call up. Mid table players making a move abroad to another midtable side rarely makes them top players.

Maher is an excellent example that technique alone is enough to make the step up to a higher level where performance is demanded instead of optional.

The real issue at the moment is the lost generation of the 1985-1990 cohort while the 1980-1985 cohort is slowly fading out, which means there are virtually no good players in their prime years available for the NT. Add in the failures or Hiddink and Blind on a tactical level and we have a recipe for disaster.

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wijnaldum, Clasie, Blind, Depay, De Vrij and Cillessen all played in the Eredivisie when we finished 3rd in the world cup. Guys like Pieters and Bacuna are really not going to make a difference.

What we need is more real top quality players who play for the biggest teams. We only have Robben left. And not for long either.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  13. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I find this lost generation theory a big crap. With the current selection criteria for NT they are bound to get lost given players find moving abroad the only other window to get a shot at NT compared to those playing for Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV. Unfortunately not everybody get successfully like Virgil Van Dijk.

Leroy Fer (Twente),Tjaronn Chery (Groningen ),Steven Berghuis (AZ).I want to take these players as example. There were all consistent players during their stance in eredivisie but yet it took them a move abroad to get a call up for NT expect for Chery who did get call up but was used to make up numbers on the bench. Well looking at how their transfers has turned out, does this mean to write them off simply because they are playing in average or below average teams.

I feel the the door should be open for everyone at eredivisie level and not only for Ajax who always get the benefit of doubt. This needs to change big time

You look at Van Rhijn and how got the nod after both Jan maat and Weil became error prone. Come in Tete, relegating him to the bench and straight away gets the nod for NT.

Tete vs Diks vs Karsdorp vs Hateboer. Is Tete the best????

This is how players end up moving abroad looking for other opportunities knowing the chances are limited in eredivisie and end up getting stuck. I don't think they should be blamed for this and again this is something that should be addressed at eredivisie level.

14. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This is just a load of nonsense. Players don't move abroad to improve their chances for an NT selection, they move abroad for a big fat contract that will make them financially independent for life.

15. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree but I think it's a package deal that's why I used Van Dijk as an example.

16. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Joshua Brenet zet zijn vraagtekens bij het selectiebeleid van Danny Blind. De bondscoach van het Nederlands elftal lijkt een nadrukkelijke voorkeur te hebben voor spelers van Ajax.
    Dat leeft niet alleen bij Brenet, maar binnen de volledige spelersgroep van PSV. 'Misschien is het niet goed om te zeggen, maar sommige jongens spelen drie wedstrijden oké en dan roept hij ze meteen op',
    aldus Brenet tegenover Omroep Brabant. 'Dat valt ons wel op. Sommige dingen begrijpen wij gewoon niet.'

Maybe Brenet read my posts here :)

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Typical calimero behavior. Tete is by far the best right back we have. Bazoer is one of the biggest talents there is. Riedewald is debatable but really has been performing great for the most part.

With interviews like this Brenet doesn't have to worry about being selected any time soon.

Dutch Treat repped this.
  18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think you spelled 3rd world wrong

19. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Hendrix and Brenet were on the field when PSV beat Manchester and Wolfsburg while Tete, Bazoer and Riedewald were losing against Rapid Wien.

They were also on the field when PSV beat Ajax.

Brenet would have deserved much more to play as LB with NT than Riedewald who doesn't even play at this spot with his club.

20. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How about the matches against ADO, Heerenveen, Excelsior, Nec, De Graafschap, etc? 1-1 against Utrecht right now. 14 goals conceded. Zoet and Narsingh were also on the pitch in those matches and we've all seen how atrocious they were for Oranje.

I agree that the decision to play Riedewald on left back doesn't make much sense. But Brenet? He has hardly played 3 good matches in his career. A month ago PSV fans were complaining that he's the dumbest and worst player to ever play for them.

21. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I stopped watching Eredivisie but I keep reading Ajaxnetwork, PSVnetwerk etc. and I read that Brenet was considered to be dumb and PSV wanted to get rid of him last summer indeed.

But I watched him in 8 CL games now (this campaign and the games against Zulte/Milan two years ago), he was always good. Definitly saw some potential the first time I saw him.

About Tete I'd like to adress a warning. Ajax fans are so glad to finally see an agressive defender that you immediatly called him a beast after three games. He is a good defender on the man, ok and ? For the moment he hasn't really proved to be a good footballer, his offensive contribution seems to be very limited, and he has been hardly challenged by any great winger. His top opposition was Elia and Nani, two dribblers on the decline.

I can easily compare Tete to Braafheid a couple of years ago. Braafheid was also good on the man, always biting. Was named best Eredivisie LB in 2009 and had some NT games, one very good against England I remember. Van Gaal was a fan of him and brought him to Bayern. A couple of months later the Bayern fans were calling him a clown because of his weak technical level and tactical mistakes.

So I'd rather wait a bit before to call Tete "the best RB we have by far", most promising RB is more accurate for me. He has the advantage of the age since Braafheid was a way older when he took a certain dimension.

22. I think Tete is very good when attacking a player with the ball. But He has serious draw backs too. In my comment on the match with PSV I already commented on him not using his brains to process a situation he has a clear view of into apropriate action. You could see he had good vision of a dangerous situation developing, that he could diminish by making two simple steps up the pitch thus making players of PSV standing in off side position and not capable of receiving the bal. He didnot and PSV scored via those players the goal.
    Against Feyenoord again he had a clear view of the situation described by the Volkskrant:
    "Het Rotterdamse doelpunt na 38 minuten was fraai. Kuijt stond net geen buitenspel bij de pass in de diepte. De defensie van Ajax was al uit zijn verband gespeeld door een afgeslagen vrije trap van Vejinovic, waardoor Van Beek nog voorin vertoefde. Kuijt legde bal perfect terug, Kramer leidde de aandacht af bij de eerste paal, Van Beek scoorde. "
    The highlighted part: "Kuyt was only just not off side with the pass into the deep"
    You could see how Tete was watching the situation unfold and he only had to move 1 meter up and he didnot. So I am beginning to conclude that Tete is very limited and a danger by not being capable of basic tactical actions or his thinking is too slow.
    That's twice in important matches that I spotted. I donot know if he did the same in other matches, because I donot watch those with that much attention.
    So his strength is attacking the player with the ball (and I think he's the best at that in the league), but with 4-3-3 that's not enough. You have to have spatial awareness and it costed two important goals because of lack of that. But I still donot rule out that he just has to learn it, but now it is a serious flaw.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One could equally condemn van Beek for all the OGs!!!:eek: I watched the replay of yesterday's goal about ten times now and I don't find Tete much at fault. From the screen angle on "my feed" it appears as though both Tete and Veltman are even right when the pass was made. He also had Elia behind him (though probably too far away to be much danger though a long cross would have put him through). I don't think that if Tete stepped up an off sides would have been called as things were just too close. If anybody was at fault it was Riedewald for committing the silly foul on Kramer who was never dangerous and conceding a free kick just outside the box.

If you go back about three minutes you see a wonderful intervention where Tete kept his body between the ball and Kramer totally negating the possibility of the striker doing anything. This was a wonderful display of positional play.

IMO you are way to harsh on Tete who is playing his first season in the starting 11 and has displayed some wonderful defensive football. If you want to criticize anything it all it might be his offensive abilities which have seldom been seen (primarily because of Ajax tactics).

JC-14 repped this.
  24. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kuijt was actually offside. Will post the proof tonight. Dijks made the biggest mistakr by running away from Kuijt. And Bazoer with letting Van Beek through. But Tete??

And I don't know what ffans' problemen is with Tete. But it's quite ridiculous

Orange14 repped this.
  25. Looking forwards to see it. I've seen the video several times now where you are almost lined up with Kuyt on one side of the pitch and Tete on the other. You see that Tete is about a meter spaced away when Kuyt is passed the ball, so no off side. And I havenot heared any one else claim it was off side when Kuyt was passed the ball.
    You are right with your observations of the others, but that would have been irrelevant if Tete had made the step I hinted at.

No problem at all. I point at 2 mistakes costing two goals in important matches and I have a problem? If you read my posts without prejudice you would have noted I think he is the best defender when attacking the player with the ball and that I donot rule out the mistakes he made tactically are due to his inexperience and thus probably will get better. I'm judging him now in the matches, not his potential. But for 4-3-3 he also needs to be able to play in the attack mode and that is lacking.