World Cup 2018 Qualification

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Oct 13, 2015.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #76 DRB300, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

Well that last remark might be right. He had a problem with other alpha males, like Seedorf and later on van Bommel. He indeed also clashed with van Nistelrooy. The van Bommel clash was wrong, the Seedorf one was right.

I don't need the opinion of Scolari to know what was needed for the NT to move on. He had his own job and did not follow the team like fans. We needed to turn the page and leave this toxic climate behind of us. I have no idea how people were not relived that Seedorf was ditched. Every game my blood boiled in that time. The only time I hoped that the NT would lose so that a crisis took place so that we could make the chances that were needed to move forward in a healthy way. Like an infection. We needed to clean out the wound. That was the issue at the time for me and Seedorf was part of the infection. Scolari sits in a press conference before his next opponents and of course will produce such quotes. Those were still players (davids and Seedorf) that could ad value if we look at the football quality side of things. That is also what you appeal to. I am saying that their whole presence was wrong and influenced the group in a bad way. Besides how do we know that a Sneijder would not need that space and time to produce a 2008 and 2010? To become what he has become? He was even good in 2006, though not against Russia.

I agree that the team process was not the prime problem in 2016 campaign, however to say "nothing" goes too far. The willingness to stay compact, to fight for your fellow team mate, to play with honor and resilience as a team? We were not a unit enough. Both organisational and team mates fighting for each other. Yes the coach is a big part of this problem (no initiation and organisation from them), but you can also blame this partly on the players. I heard that Blind asked Kuyt to come back and I understand why.

My point was however that in 2014 we could see how big of an influence the team process can be. Toxic particles that derail that process need to be taken out and should be taken out faster than people are often willing to. Too often we look at individual quality. We see a great dribble and great goal, maybe even multiple great goals and then want to give a possible toxic particle the benefit of the doubt. There is too much focus on individual quality. Seedorf still had that indeed, but he was huge negative force on the culture. The way he already entered the field makes me angry again when thinking about it. That pointing to others to facilitate his own one tempo football. Like it has to revolve around him, while that was not best for the team. Or that incident at Milan when his fellow players got injured, he was still not ready to come in as he had decided he did not want to have his shoes on and then had to go for a red card as the injured player could not manage to solve a situation due to his injury. Seedorf should just have his boots on or be quicker. Seedorf was not good for the team and I see this as a really good decision from van Basten.

2. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Actually Vennegoor was useful against Portugal, he came when both teams were playing with 9-10 players on the pitch and there was no football anymore, only long balls. He played his pivote role pretty well and gave a nice chance to Kuyt.

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Or that incident at Milan when his fellow players got injured, he was still not ready to come in as he had decided he did not want to have his shoes on and then had to go for a red card as the injured player could not manage to solve a situation due to his injury. Seedorf should just have his boots on or be quicker. Seedorf was not good for the team and I see this as a really good decision from van Basten.[/QUOTE]

I never heard about this when and what was this about?

4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Come on he brought no fear factor to the Portuguese.

As for the current issues in Oranje what players would you like to see, Formation, etc.?

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Was with Gattuso if memory serves me. Gattuso was injured, had to come off, could not as long Seedorf was busy getting his boots on which took very long, then a situation happened that made Gattuso feel he had to step in and resided to something that he might not have done in case he was fit. I am not sure Gattuso goes free, but had Seedorf just been ready or not take so long to be ready, that stupid incident would not have happened. It was again a sign that Seedorf does things in his own tempo and in his own way. The world evolves around him, the team evolves around him. Even when Bergkamp played on 10 he is rumored to make trouble as he wanted to play there. Now he was a good player, but no Berkamp. Just imagine the size of that mans ego to claim such a thing as a pretty young kid still in the ninethees.

I concede to your point that he still had something to offer as a footballer. All I am saying from my side is that you might possibly overlook the culture thing, the group process thing, the need to to turn the page and give light and air to the new generation. Like indeed Dirk Kuyt. No not a great technician, but he blew me away with his willingness to roll up his sleeves and fight for the NT. That discrepancy between him and Seedorf could not be bigger and I still get a really good feeling thinking about the transition. Very liberating.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/oranje/24686627/__Van_Persie_international_af__.html

Talking about moving on. Blind is rumored to leave out van Persie. I am not a fan of this. I do not do age. I do behavior. Now alright, van Persie acts the captain and is in fact a bit of a street kid. Bit of a punk at times, but not out of boundaries. I do not think he has been that disruptive to the group process. Actually Huntelaar in 2012 has been just that, Afellay maybe as well.

To call up van der Wiel and then possibly end this guys career like this is a big call. I prefer he axes himself and just pisses off. What happened is absolutely unacceptable, but the forces in play make it so that he can keep going on. He has no honor and does not end his life like a Samurai. Yes, the severity of the humiliation would dictate this ritual, but the guy is not even willing to step down and give the control to another. Fact is that collective defending and compact positioning was not in order. Far from it and however bad the player quality is, that is never an excuse to have those things not in check. Blind failed as a coach and even did worse than Hiddink.

Just give the job to experienced hands and also a guy who won things on national level. Foppe de Haan. All his campaigns with U21 were successful or pretty good. I look at results. He produced them. Give it to him. He has done more in football than Blind.

7. Keko

Keko Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What would happen is the team loses its next two matches? Will Blind be fired?. I really wish this guy gets sacked before 2018 qualifications starts, thing that I highly doubt judging by the level of influence Blind seems to poses upon the people who run the KNVB. Now he decides that RVP is no longer needed. What he should know is that HE is the one no longer needed.

8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Doesnt really matter which coach comes in right now, we simply dont have the talent to qualify for WC2018.

If we do qualify it'll be by skin of our teeth, but I dont see it happening

9. Keko

Keko Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #84 Keko, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    With a decent coach at least there would be some hope and in any case you make steps forward and not backward as is currently the case.

10. Keko

Keko Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    De voorlopige selectie:

Doel: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Maarten Stekelenburg (Southampton), Kenneth Vermeer (Feyenoord), Jeroen Zoet (PSV)

Verdediging: Jeffrey Bruma (PSV), Virgil van Dijk (Southampton), Daryl Janmaat (Newcastle United), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Karim Rekik (Olympique Marseille), Jairo Riedewald (Ajax), Kenny Tete (Ajax), Joël Veltman (Ajax)

Middenveld: Vurnon Anita (Newcastle United), Daley Blind (Manchester United), Jordy Clasie (Southampton), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Marko Vejinovic (Feyenoord), Georginio Wijnaldum (Newcastle United)

Aanval: Bas Dost (VfL Wolfsburg), Eljero Elia (Feyenoord), Anwar El Ghazi (Ajax), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (PSV), Quincy Promes (Spartak Moskou) en Arjen Robben (Bayern München

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wonder who will play left back. If Kongolo, then why Riedewald in past games. If Riedewald, then how does that make sense? He does not play there for club.

So, no RvP as expected. Hard one. Van der Wiel while not playing did get the benefit of the doubt. The all time top scorer does not.

Rekik is there. Interesting.

It is only a preliminary. People will still be dropped.

12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I wonder who will play LW ? Elia has been decent for Feyenoord this season but he is no long term option and even no short one for me. I don't understand why he is called, giving him playing time is a spoil for me, like we did with Schaken...
    Can El Ghazi play on the left ? Promes can.

Clasie should start for sure after his two good games

13. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This is where we realize that our pool of players is not exceptional. After such a debacle , the ideal would have been to call a few new players. But who ? Nevertheless, I would have taken Bazoer instead of Anita . Propper , too, deserve to be there. Elia is not a solution for future, in my humble opinion . He is not the kind of guy who can mentor younger players. He can not bring anything to our young players. We will need a new wave of young players to find the peaks. These guys seem to me too just for the top - level .

14. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Blind had no idea what he is doing the selections he made clearly show that

Orange14 repped this.
  15. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I agreed with not selecting Seedorf. He was a good player, but not a good team player. My view of him is that he put himself above the team which I was glad when Van Basten dropped him. His characters may work well with club but will bring toxic, poison to the dressing room. He should have learned from Davids after 1996.

Blind is blind. If I do not see enough positives/improvements after these 2 games, change is needed at KNVB for those who supported Blind and for Blind himself. We cannot drag this on to next year to after Euro when the qualification begins. For those of you in Netherlands or has some kind of connection (e.g. De Telegraaf, Voetball International...) is there a petition that we can do?

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is no petition or any kind of initiative to change anything. We're waiting for Blind to ******** up his next two games so the media will put more pressure on the KNVB. The board (Bert van Oostveen) will not sack Blind because it will mean his own ass as well. I believe there is an evaluation at the end of the year by the RvC. But since the financial results are good they will probably continue to support Bert van Oostveen.

Riedewald did play left back in last match in a 3-4-3 formation. But I think Kongolo deserves to and will play left back next match.

17. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The kind of length those guys will go to save their own ass.. It's disgusting. I see no difference between our FA and a random African Banana republic.

as for the games, I don't expect a wins. Wales and and Germany aren't going to ******** around. Germany has lost or draw to many games in this qualification, so they'll want to make a point and Wales will want to show everyone that they are not a joke and that they do belong at the Euro. Should be fun games.

18. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Interesting to see Veltman potentially selected. With the shaky NT defence, it could be a decent idea to use players that regularly lineup alongside each other, Tete, Veltman and Riedewald with Kongolo & Elia on the left flank.

19. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #94 Laurent75, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    To get the same results that Ajax gets ? lol

Something that strikes me about the dutch football is that there is no logical in the way we use players. The eredivisie is clearly a league that exports its best players as soon as possible so it's an indicator. We did select players like Pieters, Van Aanholt, Van Ginkel and many others while they were eredivisie players, but didn't select them anymore after they left. In other words it means : "We thought they were good players when they were in Holland but we realized they're not now".
    In other words the FA is almost admitting they can't select players and judge who's good and who's not.

So why to keep selecting so many eredivisie players everytime AND offering them starting spots ? I can't count how many eredivisie players have received useless invitations, even Nelom has received one. Wisergfhof, Brama, Bakkal, Viergever, Tiendalli...We just give calls to any dutch players that play 3 good games with his club. And Ajax ones even get the favor to be starters.

The priority should go to players playing in good leagues. It's how the system works for the dutch football after all : you play well for your club -----> you sign for a club in a better league.
    So there is no sense to ignore Pieters, Van Aanholt and many others (I'm not saying that I'm a fan of them, definitly not...) and select any newbie that plays with Ajax or PSV.

20. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We all know how things will go as long as Blind is in charge, but I like seeing Vejinovic called up. Propper should still get a call, and other than that meh. There are a lot of changes I'd make but it doesn't really matter. Having Robben back though will instantly make us more dangerous, and make Blind look better.

For me it should be:

Cillessen
    Janmaat - Veltman - van Dijk - Kongolo
    Clasie
    Klaassen - Sneijder
    Robben - Promes - Elia​

21. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Promes as ST won't work in a 4-3-3, we tried Lens there during the world cup and it didn't work while he has more ST attributes than Promes for me.

22. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Here is the bigsoccer obsession with leagues again. The only thing players learn at bottom feeders in top leagues is how to stop the opposition from playing. You don't learn how to win games when the pressure is on. Eredivisie top teams have the benefit of playing in Europe which offsets much of the advantage of playing in a stronger league. If we still had many players at top teams (and not ones that sit on the bench ) they would have priority in the NT. Just look at the Van Marwijk era.

23. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Promes is better than Lens by a fair margin, and he plays striker occasionally in Russia and does quite well. He's best as an inside forward from the right but Robben has that position locked down. Our guys like Dost, Huntelaar and De Jong will not fare better because right now we don't have any service really...they get isolated too easily. Promes is at least dynamic and can drop into midfield to create space and link-up with Elia and Robben coming in from the flanks (as well as Klaassen's runs into the box).

The other option of course would be completely outside of the box and moving Wijnaldum up as a false 9 with Promes and Robben on the sides. Similar idea where he drops back more into an advanced midfield position from the striker position to create space and link-up, then attacking the box from deep as he is so good at already. I actually forgot about Wijnaldum initially anyway as I would play him wide left over Elia from the start.

24. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
  25. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I can buy in this idea... the sooner we realize that our no. 9's (KJH, Dost, LDJ) suck big time, the better it is. This is a good time, in fact, a great time to experiment playing without a "true" striker... in friendlies when the expectation is at rock bottom to the point that no one even will care about the result. Not when qualification points are at stake. Germany had a considerable success with Muller as false 9. We should try it with Robben, Wijnaldum, Promes, or even Depay (too bad he's not selected). I would field the fastest and most dynamic front players to speed up the ball movement. Also hoping that long passes from Blind (if played at CB) and Clasie (if played at DM) can release players on goal.