Pre-match: World Cup 2018 Group Stage Prediction

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Gilbertsson, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yeah, those are all examples like the one I already gave, of players either rejecting a penalty or committing an illegal act and fessing up to it. What you want though, is something well beyond that, which is the player doing nothing illegal but nevertheless going to the referee and pleading with him to give the other team a goal. Where is your example for that?

Don't waste your time, because I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, and is therefore an unreasonable standard to hold any team to meet.

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #177 Rickdog, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    I don't want it, as to me, the same as for most viewers (including many german viewers as well, whom also considered it, embarrasing) of what happened that day, it was the most blatant cheat a goalkeeper can ever do, which is to pretend that there never was a goal, and played it right away, after, as if nothing happened (about it, not being illegal, is only something you want to believe).

The one asking for it it is you. You want somebody else (another goalkeeper) doing exactly the same cheat, to afterwards have that same player run into the referee to grant the goal to the opposing team (in other words to have a cheater recognize right away that his cheat was done on purpose to fool the referee, in which case would also mean to him, a possible red card).

Of course, you'll never see it happening, and most likely ever again, as nowdays with the assistance of the many video camera's present at any match, players do get sanctioned for doing that sort of crap, which is also included and sanctioned accordingly to the laws of the game, even a few days after the match has been played. For players now, it is very hard to get away with them. For 2010, though, it wasn't included in the LOTG, reasons why Neuer, to his amusement as how he recognized it afterwards in the interview he gave after, got away with it.

3. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    OMG it's not cheating under any law of the game for a keeper to pick up the ball and kick it down the field. I'm done with this debate, you're arguing nonsense.

Dage repped this.
  4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #179 Rickdog, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Not if the ball has already gone in, in which case, it is sanctioned as a goal, and the game should be re-started at the middle of the pitch.

He always knew that the ball went in (even if the referee's didn't see it), and to pretend as if it didn't and played it right away, is actually the nature of what cheating is in football, and to certain extent in any sport as well. An issue he even had the nerve to recognize it all, after the match was played.

Only one arguing nonsense here, it is you, where you can't even accept Neuer own words on the issue,:rolleyes:

5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I'll try this one more time. Tell me exactly what you think Neuer should have done on that day in 2010. And then give me an example of a player, any time, anywhere, who did that very thing.

If you can't give an example, then your standard of conduct is unreasonable, if not absurd.

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's massively doubtful that Neuer knew the ball was behind the line. You know he has a lot of talents, "hawkeye" isn't one of it. He has to play it as good as he can. This is a total other case than Suarez handling the ball like a beach volley player. It's poor childish trolling to call Frings and Neuer to hide for Suarez blatantly cheating.

7. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    And there it is... The dumb post about Suarez... Call me Nostradamus...

Ahh these haters are so predictable...
    I guess hate and originality are mutually exclusive...
    :ROFLMAO:

8. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    i hope uruguay wins it in 2018 so they all got their mouth stuffed.

9. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ???

If you're referring to me as one of the haters, I never even mentioned his name.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #185 Rickdog, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    If Neuer would have been honest, he should have told the referee that the ball went in, or at least make a pause before playing the ball, in order to give a reasonable time for referee's to make a better judgement of the situation. Instead he played it right away, throwing the ball the furthest away possible from the goal zone with no intended destination, which is also adds lots of uncertainty to the whole issue, given the fact that very close to him there were many of his team mates alone with no one marking them.

Examples for fair play and good sportsmanship exist all around the world, and those 3 examples I posted before are about the same thing (I personally love the first of them, giving me goose bumps for the whole situation, as both teams were disputing their possible relegation and despite that fact, fair play by players of both teams still arose there), where players despite what the referee initially called, they told them that their calls were wrong and had them changed to what should have been called instead, despite going against their own teams best benefit.

In some very exceptional cases, if the referee insists in making the bad call, players continue the game, but do the almost unthinkable by giving the opponents an easy path so they can put things back in order (example of this, is a pk kicked on purpose out, or allowing the opponents to score a goal without making any opposition to them). I've even seen players on purpose kick a pk very softly so the goalkeeper has no problem grabbing the ball, and as the referee asks to have it repeated, the taker instead to not have it repeated again, simply kicks it out, to stand a point, against a wrong referee call.

Of course, there are other players to whom the words "fair play" really have no meaning, or only has it, when it favours them.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So if I understand you correctly, you think Neuer's best move would have been to tell the referee that it was a good goal, which no keeper has done--ever. Then as an alternative, you say "at least he should have made a pause before playing the ball", which actually is no different than playing the ball, because it is a standard response for keepers to stand and survey the field after a missed shot, and is thus no less duplicitous than kicking the ball down the field. So basically we are back to telling the referee that it was a good goal, i.e. a keeper response that in thousands of matches over the years, has never occurred.

Thank you, you've answered my question, and also shown that your remedy for the avoidance of "cheating" in this case is a standard of behavior for a goalkeeper for which there is no recorded precedent in football history.

We have completely derailed this thread from its stated topic, so I will say no more on the Neuer matter. You can have the final word.

12. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If he would be a honest player, that would be the best course of action.
    This is not a question about what is the best for your team, but being morally and ethically correct in doing what is fair (also giving respect to opponents and everyone who loves the game, as fair play should always prevail). As Lampards attempt, really was a great shot that defeated him cleanly, that didn't get sanctioned as being a goal, as it should have been, in great part due to what Neurer did by playing the ball, when he shouldn't have done that.

If it happens that he is the first to ever do something like that (telling the referee, the truth), it would be great for his personal image as being a honest player, and a perfect example to follow by others of what fair play and good sportsmanship, is all about. It would also help him get recognition from not only other players, but also from referee's that he is not the type of person who invents things that haven't happened.

What Neurer really did, is something no other keeper has attempted to do, which is to play a ball after it went in, which is the reason you will not find any similar situation ever in football history. His cheat that day was one of a kind (similar to Maradona's hand goal in 1986, also unfortunately, against the same team).

13. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To add a thing: Neuer in these days was famous for his long and accurate throws. There was no whistle, dip he played immediately to at up a counter. Like he mostly did back then. He changed his game under Pep at FC Bayern though, a possession oriented team. Like Bayern, the German national team transformed into ateam with a lot of possession, so you won't see Neuer's long throws to often nowadays but it was a well used option by him around 2010.

14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #189 Dage, Jan 16, 2018
    Wow you're really desperate dude.
    He played the ball because there was no whistle in the first place. How does he hide a goal due to playing it after the crucial scene already happend? How does this even make sense in anybody's mind? Really strange dude. It was the referees' fault, not Neuers who just wanted to set up a counter attack.

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually, you are among the ones desperate here trying to justify the unjustified.

Nothing justifies a player in trying to get an advantage over a bad call (or even its absence, as in this particular case). That sort of atitude is also called "cheating".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheat

It is preciselly this type of situations which had goal line technology and VAR being implemented by FIFA, which will sure be in effect for next WC

16. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You don't have any advantage by playing the ball if the referees don't whistle. It's not like they would've called a goal because Neuer just stayed there nose-picking. Also it's a far stretch that Neuer even saw the ball going in, presented as a fact by you. Your point is ridiculous.

If a player gets away with cheating, the association is free to sanction him afterwards. There wasn't even thoughts to start an investigation about Neuer's behaviour. Hint: because it was no cheating.

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #192 Rickdog, Jan 16, 2018
    You do get that advantage, when you know that something clean and absolutely fair wasn't called and you attempt to act as if nothing of that happened, when you are perfectly aware of the whole situation.

Besides, after being beated by Lampards shot, Neuer landed right on top of the goal line, so if it happens that the ball is going towards his position, it is absolutely clear that it was coming from inside the goal. He knew that right away (at first he thought it could have been tighter than how it was, but he had no doubt that the ball went in), and also confirmed it all in the interview he gave after the match was played, where he recognizes in his own words, that he "fooled" the referee with what he did after it went in.

Here it is once again (from a diferent source to the one previously posted) :

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890...keeper-manuel-neuer-i-fooled-the-referee-into

Oh, and btw, if you "fool" a referee, it is very likely that you are perfectly aware that you are doing something that it is better for your cause, to have the referee not knowing what really happened.

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #193 Dage, Jan 16, 2018
    You refer on the spoilt English media? You then probably should focus on this part: "Then I saw it on the television in the doping control office and saw what actually happened,"

He knew it was close but he was only sure due when he saw it in tv afterwards. Again no sanction due to cheating mentioned by fifa.

It's probably cheating for you too when a forward claims a penalty when actually it was a clear tackling by the defender. But then I guess alot of play acting SA players are all cheaters then?

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #194 Rickdog, Jan 16, 2018
    At the time being during 2010, sanctions concerning cheats discovered after video evidence weren't as how they are now. Neuer didn't get any post match sanctions the same as Suarez didn't get post match sanctions for his hand play neither. Suarez only received one match ban, due to the fact he got red carded after his foul play.

On regards to play acting as you say so, it's not a south american exclusivity as european players do them a lot as well. The only thing is that for us in South America, usually is something restricted to players, while in Europe and specially in Germany, it is something that even some of their coaches do them :

here is another one (I don't know at what level it is, (seems to be at amateur level), but when you see them happening so often at all levels, is because there is something wrong going on in that country) :

:D

In any case, it still is a form of cheat, similar to diving, where in my opinion, they should also be somehow sanctioned (when it is very evident though, they actually do get sanctioned with cards to whom does them).

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You don't even know how these things work, do you? Let me help you..

If a referee mentioned a foul or an incident and impose a sanction on the player, he can't be punished after the game by FIFA or another association. If the referee missed the incident, the association can and will punish the player. Hence, the blatant handball by Suarez was punished by the referee with a red card (cheating) while the behaviour of Neuer wasn't punished either by the referees on the field nor bei the association afterwards after watching the videos (no cheating).

I hope I could help you.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Suarez cheated, then any intentional foul is cheating. A technical foul to break a counter, a tug, grabbing during corner kicks, etc ... football is full of cheating. Singling out Suarez as the bastion of cheating for this play is moronic.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well every straight red card is either due to a brutal foul or cheating. It's the definition of a straight red.

The special thing in here is, that he saved the ball minutes before the end in a quarter final match, that otherwise 100% would've been a goal. That's the difference. It's not a "normal" foul and even if sanctioned with the red card and the penalty it's a despicable action because it don't just broke the rules of the game, it also broke the spirit of the game. it changed the chances to score for Ghana from 100% to maybe 70% and that's right before the 90 minutes ended. If that behaviour would spread around, you probably could stop playing ko-matches or finals at all. The only thing I can remember that was evenly despicable in the history of the sport is Maradona's "hand of god".

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Suarez wasn't given the red card for "cheating", but for handling the ball and for DOGSO (denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity) , in strict accordance to how it is written in the laws of the game.

The term "cheating" doesn't even exist in the Laws of the game.

The only part in FIFA's documents that considers "cheating" as being something, is in the Code of Conduct expected from all players taking part in any game.

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2002/m=4/news=code-conduct-for-football-81746.html

celito repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any dive is just as despicable. Any technical foul to break a counter is also just as bad. There is no difference. They are all "cheating". They are all not in the spirit of the game, which BTW, for the most part, does not exist. It's pure fallacy. Football is a dirty game from the field to the boardrooms.

Suarez and Maradona's cases look bad because they were the highest profile. But inherently there is not an ounce of difference to all other forms of cheating.

And BTW, Klinsmann was a diver, I distinctly remember Ballack diving to get a PK in Confed Cup 05 vs Brazil, and Voller went down very easily on that WC 90 final to get a PK that decided the match.

Rickdog repped this.
  25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It seems you don't really know how things work here.

Any misconduct can be punished at any given time, even if the player was already sanctioned by the referee during the game. Not unlikely that the player due to his conduct may receive an extra punishment, besides to the match ban imposed due to the red card he may have received.

And once again, it wasn't only Suarez handling of the ball what gave him the red card, but DOGSO, which is more important in that particular play.

For the case of Neuer, he did have a plausible explanation, which is that he played the ball as the referee didn't whistle anything (a very lame excuse, but still valid from an officiating perspective), but not because there was no whistle excuses him for his attempt to take an advantage over what the referee didn't see, as he perfectly saw how the ball went in (doesn't matter how close he saw it, as what matters is that he still saw it, and still decided to act as if nothing happened, which is completely against sportsmanship and fair play). In my opinion, FIFA should've sanctioned him, but from FIFA you can expect almost everything, where not even their highest officials are free from guilt on lots more serious issues than whatever is played in a pitch. Very recently on South american qualifiers, Messi was misteriosly excused for the bad words he used against a referee, whom decided to not give much importance to it, with FIFA giving Messi only a 1 match ban, while for exactly the same thing and same words as well, some chilean players in other matches from those same qualifiers, received 4 match bans (this is how FIFA really "works").