World Cup 2014 tickets: general discussion: NOT for trading or selling

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by bulle1, Apr 26, 2013.

1. MFKS78

MFKS78 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Going to harass my travel agent tomorrow after work so assuming I get there in time before they shut will hit them up as they are 50 yards away from my travel agent.

Doesn't look like a bad option either

2. gil_206

gil_206 Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Can you ask Citibank to give you 1 additional card??

3. OscW

OscW New Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Anyone? I can't be the first here who submitted tickets to be resold.

4. Bukester

Bukester Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    From my experience reselling match 14 tickets through FIFA, it took 11 days to resell, and the resale happened Monday, just after FIFA released and sold a good size batch of tickets to this match. My assumption is they are holding any resale tickets until after they finalize and sell out all of their own tickets.

5. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Seeing as this is almost becoming the Australian travel finance thread, I'll add my 2 cents:

I've signed up for the citibank plus account. I haven't used it overseas yet though. The visa debit card I got with it DID NOT have a chip in it. Not sure if that would be an issue or not overseas.

I also have a 28 degrees mastercard. Many agree that this is the best credit card for any overseas purchases. No annual fees, no conversion fees, good rate. The conversion you get on xe.com is extremely close to what you pay.

6. OscW

OscW New Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Where there no availability on match 14 when you submitted them?

7. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Gents - a polite reminder that this thread is about tickets.
    There is ample scope to start a banking thread if you so wish. :)

8. Bukester

Bukester Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The match was showing nothing available when I posted the tickets. Stayed that way up until Monday when FIFA dumped a bunch of new tickets to this match and others. Once that flurry was over and the match was back to black again, my tickets re-sold that afternoon.

9. ItZa

ItZa Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not having a chip may be a good thing - not easy to do but the data can be exploited from it even if you dont use it. Wont get into that here but in my view thats a positive thing - not having a chip

10. enthusiastic

enthusiastic Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm planning to use a couple debit/credit cards that I have here in the US which charge zero ATM and foreign transaction fees. However, I came across few scary stories of card cloning which is apparently rampant in Rio. I didn't find any other decent prepaid travel card options either. Any suggestions?

11. Stu_Lee

Stu_Lee Member

Feb 5, 2014
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I think I heard that if you use an ATM at a bank that you should be OK... its just the other ATMs and smaller places that take cards that you might be risking some problems....

12. ItZa

ItZa Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've read that the airport ATMs could be dodgy as well... thought they would be the safest!

13. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Quick question, on the 11th day did it open up a space for you to buy an additional game? I heard that if you are maxed out of the 7 games and you sell one back, you can then rebuy another game. thanks

14. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a banking/money/ATM thread would be a good idea. I started a mobile phone discussion this week and it's already full of good info (with more to come I hope). Best of all it's all in one place, as the answers to these types of questions get lost forever in these long ticketing threads.

15. Die_Hard_SAMS_ARMY

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Can you please link us to this thread!! It'd be very helpful to me, as I am researching this myself. Thanks alot man!

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    you just have to be careful when paying with your card at a restaurant or bar. they typically bring the credit card swiping machine to you as opposed to taking it to the card back to the register.

17. Philippe Candido

Feb 17, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    BIG WAVE of Porto Alegre tickets now

18. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you mean the mobile phone thread? here it is:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/mobile-phones-in-brazil-for-world-cup.2003893/

it's veered a bit of topic the last few posts. But I think it's something many of us are interested in and getting the best deal is important. Plus the Brazilian phone situation is super confusing and complicated to us outsiders.

If you mean the banking/money/ATM thread, it doesn't exist unless someone creates it.

19. edward991

edward991 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ibought 10 match tickets using two FIFA accounts,but I don't know if they can let me collect all the tickets in FIFA venue ticketing centres.... Can anyone please give me an answer?

20. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas

OK. Thank you. I guess I can't leave the house until they arrive, then.

21. Bukester

Bukester Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The tickets are still listed as "Refund Pending" on my account, so the ticket slot is still tied up. It doesn't matter to me because I am not maxed out on tickets.

22. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    What exchange rate do you get on it? I still have an Australian bank account even though I now live back in the UK...

It states "current days exchange rate" but it doesn't state what sort of exchange rate they are using...whether it's mid market, adjusted etc

23. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    If you used the same credit card it might be an issue. If you used two different ones itshouldn't be an issue

24. Die_Hard_SAMS_ARMY

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All,

Yesterday I exchanged $300 in USD for $620 in Brazilian Reais.

I checked out travelex.com and compared their rates to what my bank offers for foreign money exchange (Bank of America). My bank ended up offering a slightly better rate, and I decided to go ahead and cash in $300 US Dollars for 620 Brazilian Reais with Bank of America (My primary bank). The rate they gave seemed decent enough.

Bank of America offered .488 exchange rate for USD to Brazilian Real. XE.com has the exchange rate at .448, so this rate wasn't too bad. For the $302 I spent, I only lost about $25.

I figured it'd be nice to have a chunk of cash with me immediately when I arrive in Rio, so I can use this on taxi's getting to my hotel, and then lock the rest in the hotel safe, only bringing out $100 reals at a time for spending on drinks, etc. I've heard the money exchange kiosks at the airports will charge you an arm and a leg for exchanging, so I figured I might as well take the easy route and do it all with my bank. I could imagine easily getting ripped off trying to bargain with someone at the airports who only speaks portuguese and very little english.

I will probably pass on getting one of those 'travel cards', and instead use ATM withdrawels from my bank card when cash is needed, and put everything that I can on my Capital One credit card. My capital one card has NO foreign transaction fees, so I'll be using this as much as possible. If one of my cards get's scanned, I'll have the other for backup. Also, most bank cards do not hold you liable if your card is stolen and used fraudulently, so I'm not worried about getting money lost as long as I have a backup card at the hotel to use in case something happens.

I may get one of those pre-loaded cards just for the sack of having another fall-back plan to stash some money on. After all, I'll be in Brazil for 2 weeks, so it's best to have multiple layers of protection in case I get robbed/frauded on multiple occasions.

I'm Richhhhh B*tchhhhhhhhh!!!!! :laugh:
    [​IMG]

areyoublindref and PabloSanDiego repped this.
  25. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody start a money exchange thread, because that is where this thread is going. (But as a piece of advice, do NOT use the ATMs at Galeao - GIG. Multiple accounts of skimming going on there for years).

I guess we are all bored waiting for FIFA to deliver our tickets.

Stuckin1au repped this.