World Cup 2014 Qualifying: Final Statistics

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EvanJ, Apr 22, 2014.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    how did you get 1.13 ppg for Iran? we got 28 points from 14 games which is 2 ppg, and even if you include the 2 legged 2nd stage playoff against maldives that would be 28 points from 16 games which is 1.75 ppg.

3. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Looking at the stats Germany has some good things going for them. After seeing those stats I looked at their schedule and it appears they got a nice draw with Fortaleza, Recife, and Salvador being in the same region. If the heat doesn't drain them they have a relatively easy road to the Quarters/Semis

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did look strange to me. Iran had 34 points (2.13 per game) including giving them 6 points for the Maldives games (I awarded points for all games even if they weren't part of groups). My spreadsheet had the right record but the wrong value in the points column. With that corrected, the fewest points per game was 1.56 for Ecuador.

Another thing to look at as to compare teams' points per game and goal differential per game. Thanks to playing San Marino, England had the second best goal differential per game but only tied for 13th in points per game. Belgium was third in points per game but only tenth in goal differential per game. The correlation between points per game and goal differential per game was 0.723.