World Cup 2014 Brazil - Asia (pre-WC, live update, post-WC, discussion etc) [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by teammellieIRANfan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan played many friendly matches against top national teams before draw against Netherland and winning against Belgium. That was the reason you guys are improving. On the other hand, Iran federation (Very Incapable federation) does not even have money for a mini camp. Do not forget that the budget of Japan football federation is millions times more than Iran federation.

Team Melli forever repped this.
  2. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Final Draw: your questions answered

[​IMG]

The media have already started their analysis. The fans are beginning to feel the nerves. On Friday, the wait will be over. The Final Draw on 6 December will deliver the verdict on the eight groups which will kick off the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™.

So what else would you like to know about this key date in the football calendar? We answer all of your questions here.

Who are the seeded teams?
    Brazil, as hosts, then Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Switzerland and Uruguay as the best-placed teams in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking for the month of October 2013.

What time does it get underway?
    The ceremony for the Final Draw kicks off at 17:00 CET (13:00 local time).

Where is the Final Draw taking place?
    The event is staged at Costa do Sauipe, on the Costa dos Coqueiros, an impressive location in the State of Bahia, 76 kilometres north of its capital, Salvador.

Who will be there to carry out the draw?
    FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke will be charged with conducting the draw and he will be joined by a number of distinguished assistants: Uruguay legend Alcides Ghiggia, Englishman Geoff Hurst, former Brazil captain Cafu, Italy’s Fabio Cannavaro, Argentina’s Mario Kempes, Spain’s Fernando Hierro, French legend Zinedine Zidane and German great Lothar Matthaus.

How are the pots distributed?
    Pot 1
    (seeds)
    Pot 2 (CAF and CONMEBOL teams)
    Algeria, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile and Ecuador
    Pot 3 (AFC and CONCACAF teams)
    Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico and USA
    Pot 4 (UEFA teams)
    Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia.

How will the draw be carried out?
    The teams in Pot 1 will be automatically assigned position 1 in the groups in which they are drawn.Brazil will go automatically into position 1 in Group A.

The first step of the draw will be to pick out a team from Pot 4 – the only one with nine teams – and put that side into Pot 2, in order to ensure each zone has eight balls. Then it will be back to Pot 1 andBrazil will be placed into Group A, with the rest of the seeds drawn in position 1 of the remaining groups, consecutively up to the letter H.

Pot 2, now with teams from three different confederations, increases the risk of breaking the rule of geographical separation. In order to avoid a group with three European teams, there will be a Pot X featuring the four seeded South American teams. One ball will be drawn from this pot and this will determine the group for the sole European team in Pot 2. Then, Pot 2 will be drawn. The European team will go into the group already established, with the remaining sides fitting sequentially into Groups A to H.

It is also worth noting that some groups may be skipped to respect the rule of geographical separation, in order to avoid Chile and Ecuador going into sectors featuring South American seeds.

Pots 3 and 4 will then be drawn.

The position of the teams in the groups will also be drawn (except the seeds, as already mentioned).

Where can I follow the draw?
    The draw will be broadcast live and screened on public-access television in no less than 193 countries.FIFA.com’s comprehensive coverage of the day begins at 9am local time with a special show which can also be followed via the FIFA App. There will also be up-to-date information on our Twitter account and on our Brazil 2014 Facebook page.

Will there be a show during the draw?
    Yes. The event will feature several musical performances: Alcione and Emicida, duo Vanessa da Mata and Alexandre Pires, celebrated choreographer Deborah Colker and the Bahia-born pair Margareth Menezes and Olodum.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/final-draw/news/newsid=2238933/index.html

3. Farhad Khan

Farhad Khan Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Asia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'm not sure how Korea will do in this WC. They could make a revival and improvement in their football if they fix their shaky defence. From RB to their CBS to LB. It's all wrong. I don't know what it is but it's just not working. Same with their DM. It needs to fixed. Their possession and passing is lovely to watch when I watched them against Russia and Switzerland. If they don't, it will go down hill for them even in AC 2015. You can't win games even with playing good football without proper defending. This will affect the consistency of the team and likes of Iraq and even Saudi could trouble them. I hope HMB can get it done though because even with their euro based players, they will crumble. This reminds me of Iran prior to WC 2006 and their struggle went on for ages because they weren't able to fill in their attacking and goal keeping problems for a while.

4. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    With the exception of Aust stuck in the Group of Death for the second WC in a row, Asian teams have a very good draw.
    No excuses for S Korea and Iran not to do something being grouped in the 2 easiest groups. Japans group is not to bad either. It will never be this straight forward for Asia. Problem for Asia at the moment is that the Confederation has not been so poor for such a long time.

Team Melli forever repped this.
  5. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    I think Japan will advance. Korea have real chances (and a packed stadium in São Paulo cheering for them, since there are many Koreans here) as Iran also have. Australia...well, good luck. You'll need it.

6. Farhad Khan

Farhad Khan Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Asia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I feel so bad for Australia. They're going to be demoralized after this WC leading to them hosting the AC 2015

7. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Realistically Aust needed a "soft" group to progress, as do all Asian teams. It didn't happen but they won't be demoralised. They'll play with plenty of heart, keep the teams in this group honest at least and use this tournament to become battle hardened again and see which players are up to International level in order to play in the Asian Cup.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  8. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I quickly heard something on an Iranian channel about being stuck with Bosnia, Argentina and Nigeria. I'm too excited to even do a quick check on FIFA.com right now. That's a fantastic group!

We've met Bosnia a ton of times and beaten them the majority of those times if I'm not mistaken. Our u-17 boys tied Argentina in the WC a few months ago so our seniors need to put up a performance at the very least. If we can get something from Nigeria than we're off to the next round.

9. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    ^ its not that easy. We can tie nigeria and beat bosnia easy enough but we won't advance to round of 16 like that on the count of goal difference. So realistically we ought to tie Argentina as well...

10. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    LMFAO @ AUS group

gg, better luck next time.

These are the Groups:

A)Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
    B)Spain, Holland, Chile, Australia :)
    C)Colombia, Greece, Ivory coast, Japan
    D)Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
    E)Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
    F)Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria
    G)Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
    H)Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea

11. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    "Absolutely ecstatic with the draw," said no Australian ever.

12. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We've met Bosnia 5 times, beaten them 4 times and tied once.
    We've met Nigeria back in 98 and lost, but can't make any conclusions based on that obviously.
    Same with Argentina.

Bosnia we can beat, that's a given. Team needs to focus all its energy on beating Nigeria. Of course they'll be doing the same.

13. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Australia got lucky. They have a very easy group.

14. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    yeah, they dodged a bullet, they could've had Korea's group. Now that's a nasty one.

15. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol somebody posted this on PFDC

Hosseini>>messi aguero di maria higuain lavezzi [​IMG]

Valkyrie repped this.
  16. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :p

But to be serious. This is a very doable group for Iran. It could have been a lot worse. The key match will be the first one against Nigeria. I think if we are to have a realistic chance, we must win it.

Argentina: This game is just impossible. Besides the fact that we are talking about Argentina, the match will practically be home for them, as the venue is near the Argentina-Brazil border. They are gonna have MASSIVE support to complement that world class squad.
    In this match, we ought to rest our key players, for our last game against Bosnia.

17. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Hosseini will be playing for Barca after the WC.

PS. Wish we could being Abedzadeh out of retirement.

18. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Had a little time to think about the draw for us Asian representatives and what are the common goal for us? To make it to the knockout stages here's my thought.

Australia: They got Spain, Netherlands, and chile. Everyone will be quick to write them off. They just don't have the fire power to match up against any of the three. But their first against chile, and if Australia can win than game? They just might have a chance to advance.

Iran: I think that's a very good draw for Iran. You have a clear favorite in Argentina. But they also have the first timer bosina-hertzagovina and Nigeria. Which both Iran can match up great. Iran for the most part are defensively well organized and should have no problem. But the key is, does Iran have fire power to score goals and get 3 points against bosina and Nigeria. We are going to find out. But again, very good draw for Iran.

Japan: easiest group of them all. When I say easiest, I don't mean disrespecting Colombia, Ivory Coast and Greece. Is just that Japan is good enough to finish first out that group. Their that good. Minimum runner up in the group. If we don't see Japan in the knockout stages, I'll be very surprised.

Korea republic: not a bad draw for us either. Not the easiest or the hardest, but at least we avoided the worse case situation. Belgium and Russia are very good European team, but they're not out of reach for us. And if we don't get 3 points against Algeria, we don't belong in the knockout stages.

So now the draw is out, we can discuss about a lot of thing until the next summer, wish the entire Asian representatives good luck and hope we all progress into the knockout stages.

19. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Great analysis, if we can pull our own weight then we'll have at least 3/4 Asians in the knockout stages, should really help boost AFC's profile worldwide.

20. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    GL to all AFC teams.

21. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I think Japan, Korea, and Iran can make it out. Japan's key match is against Ivory Coast, Our's is Russia and Iran is Nigeria. I wouldn't underestimate Bosnia but I do see Iran beating them.

22. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    um . . . . scrape through with a huge amount of luck into second place, and then play the winner of Group A in the round of 16 against . . . . . BRAZIL !!

My prediction before the draw was a par result for the Socceroos would be 1 Draw and 2 Losses, and now after the draw it is 3 Losses - but it will be the manner of those losses which will define us. [compare the fantastic 0-2 loss against Brazil in 2006, with the horror of being carved up 0-4 against Germany in 2010)

23. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    gave australia's group B

australia plays chile first, netherlands and finally against spain. now, if australia can win their game against chile, australia might have a chance because chile is certainly can hang with spain and netherland to get a positive results for them (draw or even a win) and that will be plus for australia. so the first game against chile is everything for australia. and as for the knock out stage, anyway you put it the asian representatives can't really be asking for anymore than just play that 4th game.

just like somehow serbia was able to beat germany and australia beat that same serbia team. and only ousted by goal differences. so, this time around, don't lost by multiple goals like you did against germany 4-0. so, i don't think australia is out already by being in this group. they have an outside chance to get to the second round.

24. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My assessment as to the draw:

1) Australia (7% Chance of advancing to the RO16)
    Worst case scenario of all the AFC participants.
    If they somehow pull out 3 points in this edition, it should be their national holiday.
    What's even worse, they have just replaced their boss, which is never a good thing with less than a year remaining to the kickoff.

2) Japan (67%)
    Currently maintains the best form and chemistry among the AFC.
    They have a lot of experiences and confidence and enough fire power to keep themselves in the game.
    Matchup-wise, Greece and Ivory Coast shouldn't be challenging for them to handle.
    Key for Japan will be Honda's performance like Korea with Park Ji-sung in the past. Japan with Honda and without Honda is totally different team. If he performs as to the expectations, Japan can even win this group.

3) IR Iran (35%)
    Draw itself is quite manageable. Beside of the Argentinians, Iran should be able to get 4 points out of Bosnia and Nigeria. With strong defense they performed during the WCQ and dangerous set-piece from Nekounam they can surprise some people outside Asia.
    But the problem is their almost non-existent preparation. That's why I rate their chances to 35%. Since the end of the WCQ, they haven't played any respectable opposition outside the AFC at all. And we are still uncertain about how their preparation is going to be with just 6 months remaining leading up to the opening match.

4) Korea Republic (55%)
    Possibly the best draw among the AFC: avoiding majority of high-profile oppositions.
    The Koreans have been progressing since WCQ and EAFF Championship; it seems like they have found several pieces to play better game. And I like how this team is preparing for the main event.
    But the majority of the squad consists of players with age under 26 and this could play a vital role during crucial moments.

25. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No preparation? What are you talking about, we have played Lebanon and Thailand?
    And in March we are playing Kuwait...:whistling::p