World Cup 2003 TV in the US

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by DCUPopeAndLillyFan, Jul 29, 2002.

1. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    From http://www.soccertv.com/

Women's World Cup 2003

July 23, 2002

Anschutz Soccer, Inc. holds US English-language TV rights to Women's World Cup 2003, scheduled for September 24 - October 11, 2003 in China.

Anschutz has purchased time on ABC to air the FINAL, to be played on Saturday October 11, 2003 at 4:30am Eastern/1:30am Pacific (4:30pm in Shanghai). Note that ABC affiliates have the option to pre-empt the live telecast for other programming, including paid programming (infomercials), if the final does NOT involve the US Women's National Team.

Anschutz will offer 9 additional telecasts (3 first round matches involving the US Women's National Team, 4 quarterfinals, 2 semifinals), to the ESPN networks for telecast on ESPN2 via same-day tape delay. ESPN, Inc. may choose to move selected telecasts to ESPN and may choose to televise matches involving the US Women's National Team live depending on viewer interest.

Univision Communications (NYSE: UVN) holds US Spanish-language TV rights to Women's World Cup 2003. Selected telecasts will air on Galavision via tape delay.

------------

So, as it stands no live games except the final, only US first-round matches (which may be televised live IF THERE IS INTEREST), and local ABC affiliates may pre-empt the final if the US is not in it.

SO - I suggest the following is incumbent upon us:

* Write ESPN. Tell them you want to see the US games live. Tell them you want to see some other first-round matchups as well, live if possible.

* Write your local ABC affiliate and tell them you want to see the final live regardless of who's playing.

* Write Univision and express interest in watching WC matches on their channel.

2. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Why in the h@ll are they playing the final at 4:30 p.m. in Shanghai knowing that the USA start times are maximally calculated to minimize USA fan viewing? Could they have picked a stupider time if they had tried? If that is how FIFA thinks it is going to grow the sport of women's soccer, someone needs to be lobotomized. An 8:30 p.m. start puts the games in waking hours in the USA. A noon start puts the game on in the evening in the USA. Is that so hard to figure out?

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I personally can't wait to see this World Cup in China next year.
    Unfortunately I won't be able to travel to watch it in person.
    Looks like a few of the matches will be televised.
    Even though they will be broadcast on "tape-delay", I'll try not to get online and see the score on Yahoo sports ticker (and as of right now, here currently in 2002, Yahoo is better than Google). I'll just watch the matches on tape delay, and pretend that they're being aired live.

I can't wait until all matches from this World Cup will be televised one day, and all of them "Live" actually. And maybe even on one of those newer style flat-screen TV's with a half-decent picture quality.

Ahhhhh, yeah, that'll be the day.