WORLD CUP 1950 - Retconned

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by msioux75, Dec 31, 2017.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll put my votes on the thread now, with both my teams out of the equation.

So for this opening game, with both line-ups announced I will go with this:

Uruguay 2 (Schiaffino 62, Miguez 79) Brazil 2 (Ademir 37, Chico 72)
    MOTM: Varela

msioux75 repped this.
  2. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Except for Argentina, is the same Final Group of the real World Cup

3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Day 8 - Result

Final Group: (2:2, 0:1, 1:1)
    URUGUAY 1 (Miguez)
    BRAZIL---- 1 (Ademir)

MotM: Varela

Report:
    The result of this game, open the better chances to Argentina and Sweden. This match with a 200k cheering crowd, started with the home team taking control of the game leading by both Zizinho and Danilo, but shots by Chico and Ademir hit the post o were outside. The first half ended goalless due to a good defending by uruguayan backline.

At 15' after a beautiful combination between Zizinho, Danilo and Ademir, the Ponta de lança could score with a strong shot, loudly celebrated by torcida, then uruguayan Black Chief, claim to referee an outside, delaying the restart of the play, then the crowd got silence and the brazilian players got nervous, the inmense person of Obdulio Varela paled to brazilian artists not only cutting the circuits of play, but also launching dangerous counter attacks.

In one of these attacks, Gomez and Ghiggia make a nice combination by right side, that find Miguez in a good situation to push the ball to the net. In the last 10 minutes, Matías Gonzalez shot against the crossbar after a corner kick.

Perú FC repped this.
  4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    [​IMG]

Óscar Basso makes his debut in the tournament. Despite the good level of Colman, the technical team decided to choose who has been one of the best defenses in South America in the 1940's and comes with the experience gained from Italian football against European attackers.

Pescia and "Tucho" Méndez return, but the main novelty is the inclusion of Ezra Sued instead of Loustau. At this moment, at his peak performance, there are many to think he's the best Argentine winger and, although he retreats his position less than Loustau, he's more incisive in the attack and very frontal for the dribble.

Excape Goat and msioux75 repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    My next vote...

Argentina 3 (Di Stefano 18, 89, Mendez 72) Sweden 2 (Liedholm 79, G.Nordahl 85)
    MOTM: Di Stefano

Perú FC, msioux75 and Excape Goat repped this.
  6. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Day 8 - Result

Final Group: (2:1, 3:2, 3:2)
    ARGENTINA 3 (Di Stefano 2, Mendez)
    SWEDEN---- 2 (G.Nordhal, Liedholm)

MotM: Di Stefano

Report:
    Two of the better attacking trios in the world met this evening, the main difference made it the argentine midfield, in which Pipo Rossi was instrumental to recovered the ball and launch the attacks. The Racing trio, combined well with two good players with the ball in Moreno and Di Stefano, "the blonde arrow" scored a brace, the first one after a nice assist by Moreno and the other striking a volley by a Sued cross.

Sweden can progress due to a good match by its left duo, Liedholm exploit Yacono's back with a through ball that Skoglund controlled, dribbling past Basso, being fouled by García Pérez before shot. The penalty was converted by Liedholm.

In the second half, Moreno recovered a ball in midfield, pass to Méndez, who dribble past two defenders scoring a nice goal. Remaining five minutes, a Nordhal's header put the final score.

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Result day 8:
    Brazil 1 - 1 Uruguay
    Argentina 3 - 2 Sweden

Match day 10:
    Brazil vs Sweden
    Uruguay vs Argentina

Perú FC repped this.
  8. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Brazil v Sweden

For the second game, will play the starting attacking quintet, one of the most dangerous in this tournament. At midfield, will play the Sao Paulo's duo, arguably the best midfield of all south american clubs.

[​IMG]

At defending, the defensive understanding of the Sao Paulo's pair strengthen the defensive play. Rui Campos recognized as one of the greatest defenders in Sao Paulo history, will complement the classic and elegant play by the "Maracana's monster"

Upfront will play one of the most devastating attacking lines in the world at 1950.

Perú FC repped this.
  9. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Today, I will post my formation.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Against Brazil, we decided to return to our best lineup. This is the same team we used against Brazil. The famous "Gre-No-Li" in their prime lined up with Gunnar Nordahk's two brothers. Bertil Nordahl came from Atalanta in Serie A and Knut is looking for a move to Italy(in real life, he also joined AS Roma after the WC Finals). Henry Carlsson who just won La Liga with Atletico Madrid under coach Helenio Herrera is a star in Spain(in real life, Atletico Madrid was the powerhouse in early 1950's and Carlsson was a key player). Erik Nilsson is our captain(he is on my al-time greatest Sweden team).

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

msioux75 and Perú FC repped this.
  11. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil vs Sweden has everything to be a game for the ages.
    If they (all 22) play at their best, I say there's a 70% chance of winning for Brazil.
    But if Sweden's left side plays at its best and Brazil's right side is uninspired, then the chances are of 60% for Sweden.

msioux75 repped this.
  12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll stick ,my votes on the thread again for this phase (probably I'll do the same for the final set of games but can perhaps leave it a bit longer, getting somewhere towards 24 hours from when both line-ups have been announced).....

Brazil 4 (Jair 16, Ademir 22, 53, Zizinho 71) Sweden 2 (Liedholm (pen) 38, G.Nordahl 60)
    MOTM: Ademir

msioux75 repped this.
  13. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    There are three votes already, but I post the BRA-SWE in 6 hours. Maybe other managers want to send his vote.

@Perú FC and @tLB Odiseo seems to worried about their match in the Rioplatense derby.

WC commitee is deliberating to give a joint WO :p:D

I'm kidding!
    But, please don't delayed long.

Perú FC repped this.
  14. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My match against Argentina ...

Formation: W-W
    [​IMG]

I understand perfectly if Argentina doesn’t show up for the match.

Perú FC and msioux75 repped this.
  15. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Day 10 - Result

Final Group: (1:4, 3:4, 2:4)
    SWEDEN 2 (G.Nordhal, Gren)
    BRAZIL--- 4 (Ademir 2, Jair, Zizinho)

MotM: Zizinho

Report:
    A great match, in which both attacking central trio shined. Brazil started the game with a constant attack, scoring twice in the first 15' by Jair and Ademir. The high quality of the plays announced another goal, this came when Rui commited a foul to stop a nice combination by Gren and Liedholm, Gren scored with a beautiful free kick.

In the second half, Ademir after dribbling past two defenders, raised the score to 3-1. Quickly, swedish striker, Nordhal, reduced to one goal difference with a powerful shot. At 70' Bauer cut a swedish pass, then send a long pass to Tesourinha, combining well with Zizinho, who scored with a curled shot.

Perú FC repped this.
  16. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sorry for the delay. Here is the Argentine lineup:

[​IMG]

Among the main news is that Basso will remain in the lineup alongside García Pérez to press against the penetrations of Míguez and Loustau returns not only for the overflow by his side, but also to colaborate with the mark against Gambetta.

Who also enters is Pedernera to be the one who manages the rhythms and hide the ball against the mark of Varela, while Moreno will be freer as an attacking box-to-box midfielder looking for the combination with Di Stéfano.

Pescia and Yácono will be my pillar wing-halves to fight the Uruguayan side game and try to centralize, apart of the pression of the outside-forwards (I hope Boyé keeps Rodríguez Andrade very busy on the right side).

msioux75 repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll get my vote in for that game now:

Uruguay 2 (Ghiggia 65, Schiaffino 82) Argentina 1 (Moreno 35)
    MOTM: Schiaffino

msioux75 repped this.
  18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I didn't post my vote in the ARG-SWE game, but it was also 3-2 for argentines (all three votes were wins for them)

For the ARG-URU game, I see a very tight match, both teams had world class players in their prime, considering is a WC game and the current south american Derby (the garra isn't a big factor here), wow, I've many doubts. arguably the best defense vs the best attack.

Well, considering the last results at NT and club level.

ARG 2 (Boye, Moreno)
    URU 1 (W.Gomez)

MotM. Matías González

Still, is many hours to close the votes in this game, and the final result is open.

Perú FC and PDG1978 repped this.
  19. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Day 10 - Result

Final Group: (1:1, 1:2, 2:1)
    ARGENTINA 1 (Moreno)
    URUGUAY--- 1 (Schiaffino)

MotM: Schiaffino

Report:
    The south american derby, ended in 1-1 draw, argentinian had the better chances, created by Pedernera as main playmaker and dangerous shots by Moreno and Boyé. Uruguayan team showed to be in great form, especially his defender, Matias González, stopping most argentine individual attemps to score.

The opening goal came via an excellent combination between the two argentinian inside forwards, beating charro Moreno to Maspoli with a precise and angle shot.

In the second half, uruguayans had the better chances via quick counters leading by Schiaffino, in which Ghiggia and Gomez proved to be fast and skilled world class forwards. The equaliser happened after Schiaffino took a Miguez attemp blocked by argentinian defense, smashing a snap-shot into the net.

Perú FC and PDG1978 repped this.
  20. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    #145 msioux75, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Final Group Results

BRA 1 - 1 URU
    ARG 3 - 2 SWE
    BRA 4 - 2 SWE
    ARG 1 - 1 URU
    URU vs SWE
    BRA vs ARG

Goalscoring charts

Ademir - 6
    G.Nordhal - 5
    Di Stéfano - 5
    Schiaffino - 3
    Zizinho - 3
    Gren - 3
    Puskas - 3

Unbeaten teams
    Argentina
    Brazil
    England
    Hungary
    Italy
    Uruguay

21. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Brazil vs Argentina

For the final game, Brazil fielded its starting line-up.

[​IMG]

Upfront, the firepower is guaranteed, ´There will be rotation between forwards to confuse a probably man marking, also brazilian players are able to make fast combinations or solo run, having powerful and precise shots.

The back three will be strenghten by Bauer, positionated in the space of the most advanced argentinian inside forward. Danilo also help with defense as a sort of attacking centre-half midfielder sticking the lines, cutting passes between the lines and launching counters.

Gregoriak repped this.
  22. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    For my final game against Sweden

Formation: W-W
    [​IMG]

Gregoriak, Excape Goat and msioux75 repped this.
  23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    My final lineup:

[​IMG]

Moreno, Di Stéfano and Méndez will form the attack front to try to break the Brazilian defense. This time I hope for Di Stéfano more active delaying a few meters to pull marks and create the spaces for the insights of the inside-forwards. Meanwhile, the indication for the outside-forwards is to open the game and force the displacement of the rival full-backs.

Gutiérrez and Yácono will be forced to support with ferocity the defensive system. With Gutiérrez I hope to be able to make counterattacks by the side.

Gregoriak and msioux75 repped this.
  24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've formed an idea for my Brazil-Argentina vote, but will try to wait for the Swedish line-up to be finalised, and cast my votes at about the same time I think.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Actually, with a possible delayed kick-off in the Sweden-Uruguay game that could leave Brazilians biting their nails after their game finishes potentially, I'll get my first vote in now.....

Brazil 4 (Zizinho 8, Jair 52, Ademir 65, 88) Argentina 3 (Di Stefano 20, 84, Mendez 72)
    MOM: Tesourinha

msioux75 repped this.