Working title... Diogo Dalot joins Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 6, 2018.

1. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    When players start performing you start labeling them as an asset instead of a liability.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dalot impresses on his senior debut with United.

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11502770/diego-dalot-debut-assessed-right-back-impresses-for-man-utd

Hard to ignore what he's done today and what he can potentially bring if he's legit. I'd throw him right back in vs Wolves, but I imagine that Mourinho might be more cautious.
    In any regard, that was a very good debut, but as mentioned in the game thread, we need to see what he can do against Prem opposition where his defensive game will be truly tested. Will also be tested physically by players who are strong and/or quick.

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The fact he can play both fullback positions should at least get him minutes on the bench ahead of Valencia and Shaw (Young has same attribute).

Personally would play him over Valencia, but as a minimum he should get every other game or so.

4. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I though he had a very good debut that also really served to highlight how poor Valencia has been for some time now. Getting into a few dangerous positions and putting some nice balls into the box shouldn't really qualify as a bravura performance for an outside back in the system we're playing, but it's become standard for us to expect literally zero attacking output from that spot.

We'll need to see Dalot play a bit more and against tougher opposition to see how he holds up defensively but I think it's already clear he offers significantly more than Valencia going forward. I'd give him regular starts in matches where we expect to boss the game for now and reevaluate once we see how he handles that.

5. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed his debut unfortunately. Does he start against Wolves?

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Me too. I am kind of pissed that on Fubo Univision was not put as the broadcaster. I could have DVR'd it. And I am not paying extra for B/R Live app either.

benni... repped this.
  8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    As tsam said, he was classy. Good delivery, positive dribbling, assured interplay. Dealt with crosses very well. He only really made one big mistake that I can recall, and that was down to poor traction on the artificial pitch. He was a lot quieter 2nd half but that's partly because we were better in other areas, as well as him (presumably) tiring.

I tried to find individual highlights this morning but the sound was made high-pitched to avoid copyright tech I guess. It was ********ing awful.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Music aside, that reel gives a small glimpse of what Dalot did on the day vs YB...

Futbol_Head repped this.
  10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I saw that one too. Why people think it's ok to ******** with the order of events in a match is beyond me.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denis Irwin is impressed with Dalot.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...otball-news/man-utd-diogo-dalot-news-15788016

It's definitely time to start seeing more of him, mainly because AY really has not looked to be at his best as of late. It's reasonable to assume he can't assume a heavy workload anyhow, so a normal rotation with Dalot really would not be the worst idea. He's handled pretty well playing on either side so far also. Would start with giving him the start this weekend vs Fulham.

12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Fulham away is ideal game to give him a start and rest young.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's already better than Young and both sides of the ball.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The hope as far as he's concerned is that he can remain healthy. If he does, I feel it shouldn't be long before he really has a chance to stake a claim on the RB spot (start of next season at the latest fingers crossed).
    He's obviously got things to learn and improve upon (especially with his defending) but every time we've seen him, his displays were overall very positive and encouraging (definitely has been the biggest threat going forward out of all the FBs at the club).
    Really looking forward to him getting more chances coming up.

15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    With Young extension we may gamble on RB position in summer and i think ole will want him to get more minutes and transit into starting 11 by the end or during next season and by that time we will have better picture to go for elite or someone who can compete with Dalot. Surprised he can speak decent english.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 Ashur, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    The ideal scenario for me would be for Darmian to stay one more year. With him at the club, we'd have Shaw, Dalot and AY and would be ok with that group. Next season would the one where Dalot should be given a big push as our main guy on the right, hopefully nailing down the RB position as his own.
    Then in the summer of 2020, we can see where we are and make moves accordingly: if Shaw and Dalot manage to establish themselves as trusted starters, we can bring in adequate guys to spell them when necessary. If either or both still show they not are ready for a starting role, we can go big for someone to possibly supplant them (even in the short term for Dalot).
    But I really want to see him get his chance sooner rather than later.

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dalot reflects on what his first season with United has been like so far.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...alot-says-he-wants-to-be-at-man-utd-for-years

He's done well so far every time he was given the chance. it's understandable that the coaching staff wants to protect him in some way, but still believe there is an argument to be made that he could have seen more action. We're sure to see him soon though (with a start vs Soton being my guess).

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Wanna see more of him but i think next season is his with Young singing extension to provide cover.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He wasn't as good this game as he was against PSG.

22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Bcz he was neither RW nor RB..wandering in between woderland of course on Ole instruction but doesn't mean im blaming Ole.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dalot makes the Portuguese U20 WC squad.
    [​IMG]

jnielsen repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dalot's United future is still bright despite the arrival of AWB.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-man-utd-but-his-future-remains-a4177611.html

Was definitely a bit concerned for his long term prospects once it was clear we were in for AWB. But I think that by any reasonable expectations, he should have enough opportunities for playing time open to him.
    His versatility for starters should make him a valuable part of the squad, since he can fill in both FB spots and can play RW (as it stands, I'd venture that he's probably the best right winger in a 4-3-3 setup we have, even after James's arrival).
    Just hoping that AWB's arrival will spur him on, that he keeps on working hard and grabs his chances, when they'll be available to him.

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007