Working title... Diogo Dalot joins Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Ashur, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Title deliberately chosen, change it to your heart's content...

www.bbc.com/sport/football/44380881

Exciting, especially with a look at the future. If he can come in and have any type of impact this season, it would be a massive bonus. I believe the end is close for Valencia, as witnessed at the end of this past season.
    Perhaps being spelled more often can help him delay the inevitable, but it's coming. Having one of the best FB prospects, allegedly, in the game at that spot is a good thing.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like this title, I say we keep it.

johno, jeff070, Naboomagnoli and 3 others repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadtigers repped this.
  5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting comments from Jose. Touching on tactical intelligence and the right mentality to move up, being a Porto graduate.

Those two points stand out for me.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From what I've seen I like the potential a lot. Not sure I trust Mou to effectively manage the rotation with Valencia in order to bring him along effectively. The fact that he can play both right and left will hopefully help him get the time he needs to develop.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope the meniscus thing is a one off (but unusual injury in a 19 year old).

Good to have a fullback/wingback who can supposedly play with both feet and though mainly right-sided has also played left side a number of times.

Such flexibility may mean he gets more opportunities than he otherwise would and can prove usefull in the role if he can cross with both feet.

Wonder if he can take corners .... :)

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United put faith in Diogo Dalot and he could end up being a bargain.

www.espn.com/soccer/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/3518821/manchester-united-put-faith-in-diogo-dalot-and-the-young-defender-could-be-a-bargain

Pretty similar to the last highly touted and coveted teenager we took a shot on a little under 3yrs ago. And while the story of Martial at United is not over yet, let's hope we're looking at a much secure position for Dalot 3yrs down the line (by which time, one of the FB spots should unquestionably be his).

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already speaks decent English, which is another plus.

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's probably the one thing you CAN bank on, that Mourinho will bring along effectively. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary, Jose has no problem bringing along young players. Some pull themselves through the rigor, like Lingard; and others don't, like Shaw. He gave Bailly a shot and he's done brilliantly with him...although I didn't agree with Jose dropping Bailly for the FA Cup final.

Next season is clearly a transition season for Valencia, probably starting the season as first choice at RB but after a few months if Dolot performs well in his spot appearances he'll take over by midseason.

That said, I haven't seen enough of Dolot to form any kind of opinion of him. If he's a great as advertised, the position can be his by midseason. But if we're in the running for the prem trophy and Valencia is getting the job done, Dolot may have to wait a full season before he sees any serious sustained action.

12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Mourinho does not have the patience to deal with young players. They are typically inconsistent as they learn the game and how to deal when times get tough for them on the field. At one time or another this past season, he complained about Martial/Shaw/Rashford/Bailly. These players need support and guidance and not be slagged off when they go through a bad patch. Total opposite to Fergie when dealing with young players.

doubletrouble repped this.
  13. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Your head is always firmly up Mourihno's ass

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do we have the patience to suffer losses because we're blooding in young players? I didn't think so.

Don't we all have complaints with Martial, Shaw, Rashford and Bailly? Well, perhaps not Bailly but Bailly did have a patchy sophomore season for us, for entirely understandable reasons.

As for this alleged impatience, aren't we fans even more impatient that Mourinho? We want trophies now, naturally, but we also want to see young players get serious game time. Sometimes the two are in direct conflict and speaking only for myself, winning is more important than developing.

Mourinho gave Bailly a chance and he ran with it brilliantly, being easily our best defender in 16/17. He gave Lingard a chance and Lingard has made the most of the chance he was given.

Mourinho have Rashford a chance and the results have been mixed. Mourinho gave Shaw a chance and the results have been disappointing.

I would like to have seen Mourinho give Pereira and Fosu-Mensah a real chance, but the case for going out on loan and getting much more experience elsewhere than what they would have gotten at OT this season is not unsound.

It can't be argued that Mourinho is either pro or anti young player. You can argue against his tactics, but you can't argue that refuses to play young players. In today's game, where if you don't trophies you lose your job, there's not a long runway to develop young players. Some, but not a lot.

Dolot will get games, but he won't get those games if the manager, any manager really, believes doing job will risk wins into draws and losses. Until Dolot proves himself (and I have no brief for or against him) in safe situations such as against weaker clubs or secured matches, Mourinho will stick with Valencia. And when Dolot does prove himself, Mourinho will reward him accordingly.

15. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I see you've been studying at the feet of the useless benni.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A couple of factors to perhaps take into consideration in regards to Dalot's development under Mourinho. First, it stands to reason that he appears to have more success with young defensive players. Ricardo Carvalho (at Porto) and Davide Santon (at Inter under him at least) among others saw plenty of action and seemed to come along very well, while under his tutelage at least, in Santon's case.
    Second and probably most importantly, it's probably a solid bet he's going to he more patient with one of his compatriots, closely look after him in order to give him the best chance to succeed. We'll see how it turns out, but interestingly enough, I'm not that worried about Dalot getting opportunities under Mourinho.

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    If the kid can play on the left as well as the right that means Shaw is likely gone and AY is gonna be phased out. I honestly think you put him on the left and see if TFM can take the right from Valencia. Then the FB situation is solved for us.

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've never seen him play and his YouTube videos don't really tell you much so I really have no idea what the boy has got.

Is the consensus here that Dolot is another Mourinho disaster?

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be really disappointing if our idea of significant reinforcements at the back, which is my personal expectation of what I want to see in defense, ends up being Dalot and a CB.
    I'm glad we got Dalot, considering he appears to have great potential, but he's not one for now and by his own admission, he prefers to play on the right. Just because he can play on the left doesn't mean he should play there (not yet at least, while he's trying to find his footing in English football).
    I'd have him back Valencia and I'd try to play Timmy in midfield, where he really belongs. Looks like we could be going into the season with AY and Valencia as our starting FBs and that's exactly what I did not want. As far as Shaw is concerned, he would stay, fine. But I have a tough time understanding why Mourinho, who clearly has shown no particular liking or patience with the guy, would make a 180 in regards to him and all of a sudden regard as our future at LB. it does not make any sense.
    Definitely hope that Delaney's recent reports are rubbish and we'll end up with a starting, top shelf LB and a partner for Bailly as well. Can't be stressed enough that strengthening our defense is the key to more open and expansive football.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did anybody catch Mourinho talking about him in his interview today? Apparently he had knee surgery late last season and won't be back until September.

Great.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dalot's meniscus injury and the surgery he was about to have earlier in the summer, was discussed at length. This is no surprise and the bit I took from Jose's comments is that he believed that the type of player he is or could be, was worth the risk.
    Expectations for Dalot this season are relatively minimal. If he happens to make a significant contribution perfect. If not, it's no big deal really: he's a young player and it might take him a little while to adjust.

22. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We desperately need a LB if he's not expected to make a big contribution this season. We can't go into this season with essentially the same wide players.

JamesA repped this.
  23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well he can play both flanks but we need both FBs upgrades desperately. that said we will probably wait out his supposed September return

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dalot pans out to be a good signing, it should work wonders for our attack, that is provided Shaw keeps up his good form. We could finally be getting some width to our attack that will give our team some much needed balance.