News: Woody’s Roundup - The Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1976 MizzouMUFC, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Ali is bang average and nowhere near generational. He had one good season until he was figured out.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Delle Ali?

the fumbler repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The point is he went to the well 3 times for the hottest generational talent in deals which (inflation adjusted) are amongst the biggest in EPL history

Rio, Rooney, Carrick provided the core of the team.

I am just a poster on bigsoccer, so I don't know if Ali is good enough. But taking him when he broke out in 16/17 is the kind of thing SAF would have done, and for record money.

Woody hasn't done that kind of thing, but City have.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Konate IMO definitely has S-Class potential, especially considering his age and how already vital he is becoming to RBL's setup.
    Big fan of Upamecano's also at this time, he's still a notch or two below Konate. But he's still pretty young himself and things could change down the line.
    I really like guys like Skriniar and Romagnoli as well: any defender and CB particularly who can hack it in Serie A, is worth paying attention to. And while both are good players (whom I rate higher than Maguire personally), they're not elite or world class just yet.
    Diop could end up being a very good player, not sure about world class though. Still, would be a player worth taking a shot at, given what he's shown this past season with WH. It's just not easy to come into the Prem and make ones presence known almost right away.
    The talent pool of potentially high quality French CBs is actually very deep and kind of ridiculous: plenty of guys who would be worth keeping a close eye on IMO.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  6. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    lol

7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    would you accept a Škriniar/Lukaku swap?

9. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I would.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    100% yes.

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Only of there adding cash. Lets say £20 - £25 mil

We'd have to go back into the market and buy a striker willing to be rotation.

Lukaku is our only proven goal scorer.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1987 Ashur, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    There's absolutely no reason not to do that swap (even straight up I might add), if it was on the table. We'd be getting a top, still pretty young CB for a guy fighting to be a regular.
    We could always take care of getting a striker ourselves: we'd be looking for a backup/willing to rotate type anyway with Ole making Rashford his main CF for now anyway. Missed out on Haller who would have been a great buy at around 40mil. Ben Yedder, for what we're looking from a CF, would be another at around the same price.

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yea i think that's the issue too.

we're somewhat stuck with him because there isn't anyone definitively better that's available out there. if we sell great but who do we realistically get?

benni... repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lukaku isnt willing to be in a rotation which is why he wants to leave. He's also one of the top earners on the team and he'll be riding the bench most of the season. No reason not to do that trade and by all accounts we asked about Skriniar when they made their interest in Lukaku known and Inter werent having it.

Would you rather...

A) Straight swap Lukaku for Skriniar and look in the market for a young 9 with potential?

B) Sell Lukaku to Inter for some loan with obligation to buy, pay 70-80 mil for Maguire, and still need to replace Lukaku in the market?

Give me option A all day long.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haller would've been perfect and only cost us 40 mil. We would have a better striker for our system with potential to grow that would be fine rotating and we'd have a better CB than the other likely option which is Maguire.

16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    We would've saved money and ended up with better players...

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Just because Lukaku wants to leave, doesn't mean we have to sell.

Also we don't need a young potential 9. Thats what Rashford, Greenwood and even Martial. We need someone as ready as Lukaku. Who you know will score.

I won't answer your question because those aren't the only two options available.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Of course you won't. Because it it makes you look bad.

There's no point in keeping Lukaku. We're rebuilding and he is a clear cap on our offense. Now is the time to take risks. Lukaku isn't going to be part of this rebuild long term so why continue to pay his high wages while he sits on the bench?

Oh and Haller, who I mentioned, has significantly different skills than any other attacker in our team.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    So we should sell Pogba and DDG too? Clear cap space? They dont want to be here either.

The case for keeping Lukaku (high wages and all) is pretty clear. You complain about having to rely on Rashford.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1. There's a clear difference between two guys that are integral starters in the squad and Lukaku. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

2. I'd be all for selling Pogba now if I trusted Woody to get fair value and replace him adequately.

3. Ive made my reservations of Rashford very clear, but we're in a rebuild and if he's going to be our future 9 we have to give him the chance to either succeed or fail. Lukaku is nothing but an expensive wage packet, even if he's our best finisher.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Okay fair enough. Agree to disagree

I would want Haller, but doesn't seem like were interested.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He just signed for West Ham.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    So who else then, if we sell Lukaku?

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Depends on what were looking for. I'd prefer someone with decent size and holdup to give us something different and not get in the way of Greenwood. So for that Haller was perfect.

It just depends on if we want young with potential or if we want to go the proven veteran route that's not arriad to be the number 2.