News: Woody’s Roundup - The Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Campbell95

Campbell95 Member

May 26, 2012
    That’s so depressing.

Deadtigers and benni... repped this.
  3. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He's not chosen PSG - the news is that Raiola met with PSG today to discuss terms but the decision has not been made yet.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Di Marzio said it's close to being done. I trust him over Bouhafsi.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A few different sources all at once reporting that we aren't interested in Bale whether it be loan or permanent. Feels like a deliberate leak or briefing given the timing and number of sources.

Nice to have some good news for a change.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rumoured to be in with last minute offer for Greizmann - £95m fee and 450k per week. Would doubtless be a long contract for a 28 year old taking him well into his 30s.

No thanks, hopefully BS. Would just be repeating Sanchez mistakes for me (even though AG unlikely to be that bad).

7. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Di Marzio reporting Juve are talking with Rabiot. Something tells me we will only end up with James and AWB this summer.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Anything is better than Matic.

Amdrag and Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd buy his shirt just to impress the ladies at the pub with LONGSTAFF on the back.

Amdrag, JC7rox, Chaz Striker and 3 others repped this.
  10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I just thought about it.

Maybe we're buying Maguire and WB to play om the same said? Since WB offers nothing going forward, you wont ever have to worry about Maguire getting left isolated defending quick players.

I don't like it, but only way i makes sense to buy to average players. Especially two players who arent that much better than what we have.

I mean id rather give Bailly another chance than play Maguire.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Maguire is not so good why do you think pep wants Him? Just wondering

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I don't believe Pep wants him. Especially for the quoted price.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    English quota.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pep has an "interesting" record when it comes to CB recruitment in general...

benni... repped this.
  15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Bailly over Maguire anyday ...

16. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defensively AWB is miles ahead of Dalot and Young. We had a terrible defensive record last year so that part of his game I’m excited about. Palace play on the counterattack so he doesn’t have a chance to get forward much. Can he improve going forward? Sure but I don’t think he’s much worse than Dalot in that aspect.

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well WB had 3 assist in 3135 minutes.
    While Dalot had 2 assists in 1015 minutes.

WB averaged 0.4 key passes per game
    Dalot averaged 1.1 key passes

Less shots per game, slightly more dribbles but more bad controls per game. Also dispossessed more.

This isnt the end all be all, but I think I can say that watching them, Dalot is better attacking because he can dribble by players and has put in good crosses. His ball control is better and he looks in control when he goes on runs.

Glad he can defend, but most of us complained about lack of attacking threat from the fullbacks. We want to be an attacking team and were not using wingers to provide width, so the fullbacks have to be competent going forward.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Forgot all about that.

Goes all the way back to Chygrynsky

Futbol_Head repped this.
  19. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Dalot played most his games for us as a RW after Ole came in. You can't really compare those two statistically and it be a fair comparison.

Not that I disagree about AWBs offensive side of the game. He is very raw. End product isn't the end-all be-all for a FB though. Evra and Neville were both players who had questionable end product, but their ability to join in with the play and make smart runs still made them valuable in attack.

That's what AWB will have to learn to become if he comes here and wants to be good enough.

AWB is also a huge defensive upgrade - especially if we don't sign another CB this summer. Our right side was so bad that Ole started playing Lindelof at the right-sided CB just to space out his competent defenders.

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    AWB is a very good dribbler actually. He looks ungainly but he's effective at take-ons - according to Tifo he often comes infield rather than going out wide. Per 90 he has more successful dribbles than Dalot has dribbles total, and he has a higher completion rate (69% to 64%).

I'm definitely warming to AWB provided we sign Bruno to supply the deliveries into the box. Agree that Dalot is more technically clean and better at crossing. But how AWB attacks is also very much part of how Roy Hodgson uses him in a counterattacking side that focuses on giving the ball to its wingers - he crosses exactly as often as van Aanholt on the other side.

If we're looking to play a diamond we will need two fullbacks on each side, able to rotate. I don't think Dalot will be shy of minutes.

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He is 21 and if willing can work on his offensive side. We need to solidify back 4 dont forget we conceded so many goals last season so i will be OK getting AWB.

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    we don't need another FB that drifts into the middle. Shaw is enough.

i'd rather not have two duds offensively especially when we already don't have stellar wing forwards.

i am fine upgrading on both positions and quite frankly i don't want either Shaw or Wan-Bissaka in the starting xi come August.

that said i admit it is unlikely we replace Shaw since so many people are convinced he had a miraculous break through last season. both outside and inside the club

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Shaw made huge strides forward relative to his previous seasons form, not relative to the other top fullbacks in the world. He's serviceable but not good enough for a top European team.

24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #1350 Naboomagnoli, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    I just don't agree that AWB is a weak signing. He's not technically exactly what I want but defensively he'd instantly allow our RCM to push further up and wide, his dribbling infield actually helps break through the mid/low block (Shaw does not do this effectively on a regular basis, they do not compare at all) and he is in the position on the pitch where almost all dangerous WFs play, yet in his first full season has an utterly insane record for winning duels.

Edit: Lindelof is better for us as a RCB as evidenced by his performances there, Incighte. Don't try and sneak shit through.