Wonder Woman (2017 version) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The movie hits theaters on Friday, 6/2/17.

[​IMG]

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm debating linking to the pilot of the last tv show so expectations are lowered.

Dr. Wankler and Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Compared to all of the other recent DC stuff. This actually seems up to expectations.

Belgian guy and sitruc repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That looked bad. Sorry, I know that I have to suspend reality, but...

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    God, that was aweless!

WW bouncing around in the same war as Capt America, plus she's got his shield, what's not to like???

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually not in the same war. ;)

-G

mwulf67 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I like the trailer.
    Perhaps the only DC movie I now have some hope for.
    Maybe along with "Suicide Squad".

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Looks pretty good to me.

Goodsport repped this.
  11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know.

Sure as hell looked like it though.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This looks like it may be worth seeing.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gamecock14 repped this.
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theaters today.

-G

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I avoided reviews, but had generally heard positive things about the movie. It wasn't bad. It was better than most DC movies. The framing of the movie felt strange. It was a flashback for the ******** of it. There were no limits to her powers in the end.

Belgian guy and Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I just re-watched the first trailer in this thread. Wow. That was horribly cut. I know there is normally a different house that makes the trailer (did DC go with a trailer house cut for BvS?) but that trailer made me wonder how much was edited outside of an additional fight scene. Did it initially have the tone of the trailer? That's the kind off stuff that sinks a studio.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

I would use whoever cut together the "Thor: Ragnarok" trailer. I went in not really caring about that movie to being pretty psyched about seeing it.

sitruc repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This came up in a conversation at work. I see dailymotion and youtube finally took it down. I assume a few orders went out before the movie came out. I might have it saved on a computer somewhere. While looking for the bad NBC pilot I began to play this episode. It looked familiar.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Now I've heard everything. I'll wait until this comes out on DVD to buy and see it, instead of sitting in a movie theater with a bunch of nitwits who feel it empowers them.

Solidarity At An All-Female Screening Of 'Wonder Woman' - N.Y. Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/movies/wonder-woman-all-female-screening.html?

One woman said she came to feel a sisterhood. Another said she was there because in her years as a comic book geek, she had only ever watched superhero movies surrounded by guys. Yet another came because she didn’t want to overhear fanboys cracking wise about Gal Gadot’s physique, or, for that matter, that of any other woman onscreen. Each of these moviegoers was at the first women-only screening of “Wonder Woman,” starring Ms. Gadot, at the Alamo Drafthouse in Downtown Brooklyn on Sunday.

News of the women-only limitation set off a storm of virtual tantrums among some boys and men. Never mind that “Wonder Woman” could be seen at about 4,160 other theaters nationwide. The Alamo’s all-female screenings were exclusionary, sexist, smacked of misandry, they wrote on Facebook and Twitter, and set a dangerous precedent. Discrimination complaints were filed. What was next, some asked — male-only screenings of “Spider-Man” or “Thor”? A special screening of “It” just for people who identify as clowns?

There were murmurings over at the box office. Frank Icano, 26, a painter from Park Slope, came to see the movie with a group of friends and was aghast to learn that not only was it sold out but it had also been restricted to women. Reporters circled him as he vented. “There are plenty of other female movies that come out, and I’m not able to see this because I have a penis,” he said.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't get the outrage over one or two showings at some Alamo Drafthouses. The guy quoted complains he can't see that showing because he has a penis. He can't see that showing because it's sold out. Despite what some complain, there are not even many female characters in the genre (forget about actually being the lead). Likewise, women have not directed many large budget movies. I have no problem with women identifying with characters that are unapologetically women and badasses without relying on the regular tropes or a male to hold them up. I have looked at and identified with some non-White characters more in the past. I can't have a problem with some feeling that way about these characters. I didn't get the feeling that that was the only crowd at the theater I went to. I went and that's not why I went. The movie isn't perfect. It's good. It was nice to have some DC bigass fight scenes in daylight for once.

fischerw, Gamecock14 and Val1 repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't understand what the big deal about the women's only screening is either.

Our biggest movieplex chain has had ladies only nights for ages.
    The one issue I'd have with them, were I a woman, is that the films they program for them are almost exclusively in the rom-com mold, which is a bit insulting (the notion that this is the only type of film that women would be interested in seeing together).
    Though I did see they also programmed a few women's only screenings of "Wonder Woman" now. :)
    The funny thing is, around the same time that this chain started with the women's only screenings, they did something similar for men, but those were cancelled rather quickly because of a lack of interest. :ROFLMAO:

Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    saw it yesterday...the director really really likes slow mo action scenes

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was wrong. One of the best super hero movies in a long time (back to original Iron Man and Batman - Dark Knight.

Belgian guy repped this.