Women's League in Italy

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by bzygo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Remind me, Fiorentina is the one that recently got full support from the corresponding men's side, right?

blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, the official support from men's Fiorentina began about two years ago (or one year and a half ago), if I remember well, but Gricio61 probably can be more accurate about it.

gricio61 repped this.
  3. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Very beautiful goal from Res Roma indeed, I'm gonna pay more attention to themnow on but what a great goal from Giacinti :), I know she's not very apprecciate here but her second goal is a pure beauty and Di Criscio red card is just dumb, and not the first time....despite having some talent I still don't really get why sometimes she does things like that completely unnecessary.

4. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, it's the 2nd season that Fiorentina Women is owned from the men's club, last year they ended the championship in 3th place, but this year the club signed some of the best italian players available in every role. I have read that their budget is around 800.000 Euro, the biggest in SerieA (as a comparision, the title owners Brescia has a budget not more that 500.000 Euro): should they get a CL spot this season, I am pretty sure that next year the ownership is ready to increase significantly the budget, to sign a few top foreign players not to show up badly at international level.

SiberianThunderT, debzy and blissett repped this.
  5. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "I know that she's not very appreciated here" it's for me....ah ah Debzy, touchè (as you say...) :oops:
    Ok, may be I have been too harsh on her, in the past I said that she's too much one-dimensional forward, kick-and-run type, but no doubt that she's one of the best forwards that we have here...I have read in arecent interview that probably this season will be her last one in Italy, she's planning to play abroad, and now that she's followed by an agency (LTE I think) this could happen very likely...so she will be able to fill the gaps that she still have and to become a very complete forward...:thumbsup:
    About Res Roma, here the names and age of the 3 players involved in that goal: Giada Greggi (16 y.o.), Claudia Palombi (18), and Flaminia Simonetti, the goal scorer (19), obviously all 3 in the YNT...

debzy and blissett repped this.
  6. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actual you're not wrong, Giacinti is effectively an one-dimensional forward at least 80% of her goals are scored in the same way...... ball over the defence and her run at it to beat the gk mostly in 1vs1 situation because CB can't keep up with her pace....She is extremely efficient at doing it because of her quality are not so common especially for mediterranean female players (not only Italian).
    Her first quality is undoubtedly pace, Valentina is a natural born athlete, she is fast with or without the ball, very few Italian players have that quality....imho only Gama and Guagni are naturally born athlete....plus the fact that Serie A is not a professional league doesn't help players on that....Anyway, Giacinti also has excellent reaction time and her shooting technique is very underrated (her secong goal... ball over the goalie while running wasn't easy at all), and from the look of her goals she seems to be "hungry-to-score" very important quality in a striker which unfortunately very very few French forward have...with the result that we all know.
    Valentina is someone who due to her main quality could cause problems to many defence if they can't apply offside trap correctly for exemple, obviously she also has many weakness...lack you rightly pointed (for the moment I hope) she's too much one dimensional... but I'd curious to see how could she improves in a professional team cause imo she has potential.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I always liked Giacinti, so I am curious to see if she's going to evolve too. :thumbsup:

gricio61 and debzy repped this.
  8. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The big match Fiorentina - Brescia ended with a shocking 5-0....Fiorentina showed that it's ready to take away the title crown from the current owners, they outclassed Brescia under all aspects, pace, technique, 1vs1 etc....
    Today Brescia will play the catch-up match against Tavagnacco, let's see if they are able to recover quickly from that impressive defeat; anyway if they want to fight to keep the title IMO the club has to come back to mercato ASAP, their roster outside the starting 11 is too thin, the loss of Williams and Linari just before the beginning of the championship and the injury to Rosucci have been a big blow for them...

The results:
    Fiorentina - Brescia 5-0 (2Mauro, Parisi, Caccamo, Bonetti)
    Tavagnacco - Chieti 5-2 (Tuttino, Camporese, Clelland, Brumana, Sardu / Stivaletta, Marinelli)
    Luserna - Mozzanica 2-3 (Moretti, Puglisi / 2Pirone, Giacinti)
    Verona - San Zaccaria 3-2 (Gabbiadini, Piemonte, Giuliano / Baldini, Colasuonno)
    Jesina - Res Roma 1-4 (Polli / 2Martinovic, Coluccini, Palombi)
    Como 2000 - Cuneo 3-2 (Cambiaghi, Oliviero, Ferrario / OG, Sodini)

The table:

Fiorentina 21
    Verona 18
    Res Roma 16
    Tavagnacco, Brescia 15 (both 1 match less)
    Mozzanica 12
    San Zaccaria, Cuneo, Como 2000 6
    Chieti 4
    Luserna 3
    Jesina 0

Some highlights:

On a side note, last Saturday has been the first match for 2 girls from USA, the GK Emily Dolan for San Zaccaria and the midfielder Rebekah Roller for Mozzanica. :thumbsup:

SiberianThunderT, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  9. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Brescia managed to promptly recover from the last disastrous match, beating 3-0 at home Tavagnacco (2Sabatino, Serturini) and catching again 2nd place in the table at 18, together with Verona.

The highlights:

Next Saturday last matchday before the 2-weeks stop for the international friendlies in Brasil, the most important match should be Mozzanica-Verona; Fiorentina will play away vs. San Zaccaria and Brescia at home vs. Como2000.

blissett repped this.
  10. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks for the highlights as usual:thumbsup:, San Zaccaria new American goalie doesn't look good at all :confused:.... some very amateurish mistakes, clumsy goalkeeping from her, well let's say GK is a very special position and her being new to league, country, team and teammates is a plausible excuse because that was a terrible performance.
    What a superb performance from Fiorentina :eek: I've never seen Brescia so dominated in Serie A, I don't know if my Italian still good (please correct me if I'm wrong) but did the journaist said Fiorentina came out first in every contested possession?....Cause it really looks like and what makes their victory even more impressive is how Brescia actually dominated the next game versus Tavagnacco which means the Della Valle's team is already far superior to them.

With this kind of performance Tatiana Bonetti CAN'T be left out of the Italian starting eleven anymore, and actually the team should be built around her imho but I also liked Ilaria Mauro and young Martina Piemonte.

11. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Folks you didn't told us that Marta Mason was curretnly participating at a talent-reality show :eek::laugh:.
    I was surfing on the internet when I bumped into Amici16 (a kind of xfactor for those who don't know) and I saw the participants, I told myself that girl look like Mason the soccer player currently injured....so I checked and it was actually Marta:laugh:...well good luck to her.:thumbsup:

ps: I remember Pamela Gueli participated at the same show some years ago.

gricio61 repped this.
  12. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, I read myself too (not watched...) :p Marta Mason decided to stop playing at least for 1 season for her non-stop ankle injuries and, since she already loved music (she plays piano too) is taking part at Amici (although I don't follow that show and I don't know if she's still in the show...).
    About TV and soccer players, I remember a few years ago a show (I don't remember the name) in which a contestant had to guess the job of some unknown people, on the basis of few clues and a couple of questions he could ask: during one of the episodes I was watching there was Penelope Riboldi, then player of Tavagnacco (currently is playing for Chieti), and obviously the contestant didn't rightly guessed her job...;)

debzy repped this.
  13. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was wrong when I wrote that the championship stopped during the Brazil tournament in which played the NT: actually 4 matches has been played, 2 of the 9th and 2 of the 10th matchday.

9th matchday:
    Jesina - Tavagnacco 2-4 (Polli, Monterubbiano / Clelland, Tutino, Brumana, Frizza)
    Como 2000 - Res Roma 0-3 (Martinovic, Palombi, Di Giammarino)

10th matchday:
    Jesina - Como 2000 1-0 (Polli)
    Cuneo - Luserna 1-0 (Sodini)

The only highlights that I have been able to find so far:

In my next post I'll update the table, the top scorers, and the current standings in SerieB...stay tuned ! :)
    This is for Debzy: I found out another French girl just starting playing here, she's the GK Marie-Oceane Bayol, 30 yo., who signed (and already played at least 1 match) for Grifo Perugia, currently half-table in their SerieB group.
    I have read that she was with PSG a few years ago, so I think you have heard of her; from her twitter page looks like she is in the media, may be her job it's in Italy now and she found a team to play with...anyway wellcome here ! :thumbsup:

blissett and debzy repped this.
  14. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bayol in Italy!!:laugh::thumbsup::).....What a nice surprise, yes she's quite well known in France by those who follow women's football because she used to play for various club in top divisions clubs including PSG (where she never was a starter tbh).
    Marie-Oceane has a master in traduction , indeed she worked for UEFA website as the official translator for the French version...she also has an official Italian-French (or vice versa) translating licence so may be she's at Perugia for her job.....I don't know her personally but she used to play for Bagneux and was teammate with many people I know, overall she's a reputation of being a good person, serious in her job, friendly, enthusiast, enjoy live.... I'm sure she'll enjoy her time in your country.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  15. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Highlights of the first-ever victory of Jesina this seeason (10th matchday):

The table after 10 matchdays: I put in brackets the number of catch-up matches for every club.

Fiorentina 24 points (2)
    Brescia 21 (2)
    Res Roma 20 (1)
    Tavagnacco 19 (1)
    Verona 18 (2)
    Mozzanica 15 (2)
    Cuneo 12 (1)
    Chieti 7 (2)
    San Zaccaria 6 (2)
    Como 6 (-)
    Luserna 3 (1)
    Jesina 3 (-)

The top scorers:

Lana Clelland (Tavagnacco) 12
    Ilaria Mauro (Fiorentina) 11
    Valentina Giacinti (Mozzanica) and Melania Martinovic (Res Roma) 7
    Patrizia Caccamo (Fiorentina), Fabiana Colasuonno (San Zaccaria), Martina Piemonte (Verona), Valeria Pirone (Mozzanica), Simona Sodini (Cuneo) 6.

16. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A recap of the situation in the 4 SerieB groups after 10 matchdays (the winner of each group will be promoted in Serie A). I mention too the teams that are linked or owned by a male club, AFAIK.

Group A
    (Northovest of Italy + part of Tuscany and Sardinia)
    Novese 25 points
    Empoli Ladies 24 (owned by the SerieA male club)
    Amicizia Lagaccio 20

Group B (part of Northeast - part of Tuscany and Central Italy)
    Permac Vittorio Veneto (was in SerieA last season) 25 points
    Sassuolo Femminile (owned by the SerieA male team) 23
    Padova (owned by the SerieC male team) and Castelvecchio 21

Group C (Lombardia + the remaining part of Northeast)
    San Bonifacio 27 points
    Valpolicella (linked to the SerieA male club Chievo Verona) 25
    Inter Femminile (more or less linked with the male club) 23

Group D (Lazio + all the south of the country)
    Roma and Pink Bari (linked with the male club) 30 points
    Latina 22 points

In this last group there is a curiosity that worths to mention: one of the teams, named Grifone Gialloverde (Yellow-green gryphon), is nothing less that the central sport club of the Guardia di Finanza (a police force specialized to contrast the financial crimes and to control the boundaries, don't know if there are equivalents in the other european countries). :p Don't know how many of the players are policewomen, probably most of them are just relatives of employees, anyway a bit funny, isn't it ? Currently the club is last but one with 6 points, struggling not to be relegated...

Lechus7, debzy and blissett repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Kayleigh Green from Yeovil to Chietti.

gricio61 repped this.
  18. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now in SerieA there is an English, a Scottish and a Welsh player: if a club will be able to find and sign a Northern Irish girl, we'll have a full representative of the UK...;)

blissett repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If an Italian club wants a centre back, there is Laura Rafferty available

gricio61 repped this.
  20. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Guys you didn't told us that Giulia Ferrandi was back in Italy at Fiorentina...that's interesting.

21. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :oops: My bad, Debzy, I forgot to mention it....in my defence I have to say that she played only twice so far, for a grand total of 50'. Fiorentina has the biggest roster in SerieA and it won't be easy for Ferrandi to get playing time.
    By the way, the championship re-started after the Brazil tournament + Christmas stop, here the results and the table (Chieti-Jesina postponed for the snow):

Mozzanica - San Zaccaria 3-1 (Motta, Stracchi, Pirone / Principi)
    Luserna - Brescia 0-5 (2Girelli, Bonansea, Lenzini, Mele)
    Fiorentina - Res Roma 3-0 (Bonetti, Linari, Adami)
    Verona - Cuneo 4-1 (2Giugliano, Gabbiadini, Piemonte / Sodini)
    Como 2000 - Tavagnacco 2-1 (Ferrario, OG / Pochero)

Fiorentina 27 (-1 match)
    Brescia 24 (-1 match)
    Verona 21 (-1 match)
    Res Roma 20
    Tavagnacco 19
    Mozzanica 18 (-1 match)

In spite of the winning, Verona is in a bit of trouble, since 5 of the 6 foreign players signed at the beginning of the season aren't playing: Williams and Carro are still in their home countries for unknown reasons, the 2 Dutch left the team (or have been cut), the Greek Koggouli too is in her homeland still recovering from a surgery after an injury, so they have to play with 3-4 girls from the younger team....and next match is a big one, Verona - Brescia, we'll see how the club will manage this emergency...
    And speaking of Brescia, rumors that they are trying to sign a Russian midfielder (and may be a defender too) to fill the players gap that the club suffered from the unexpected leaving of Williams and Linari just before the season starting, more news to come, stay tuned ! ;)

debzy and blissett repped this.
  22. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The highlights of the matches played Saturday/Sunday:

debzy, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Giula came back to Italy when she split up from her boyfriend as far as I know, she now helps an agency getting foreign players as well.
    Regarding Paige Williams, I think she went home to get a chance to be seen by Mark Sampson and try to get into the England team.

24. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I accept your apology only because you keep on spoiling us with all the news and highlights you post :thumbsup::thumbsup:;).
    So Williams intends to stay in England ?!?:eek::eek:....wonder if Verona knows it....Paige is a very interesting young player but with Rafferty, Greenwood, Stokes just a little bit older than her Enlgand is full at left side

gricio61 repped this.
  25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, there was an interview on the BBC website in November

In the future, a return to the WSL could be on the cards for Williams, who is part of England's 'Next Generation' squad.

"My main ambition now is I want to make the next step with the national team - the seniors is in sight," she said.

"Playing in England will be the first move in making that become a bit more of a reality, because they can watch me every day there.

"While I'm young, I think I've gained so many valuable experiences from being abroad."

Spence added: "I'm sure at some stage she'll be back over playing in England again but she'll be a better player and a more rounded and enhanced person for her experiences."

I think she will come back to the FA WSL when it restarts in September 2017 actually not now.

gricio61 repped this.