Women's Int'l Cup 2016 (N. Ireland) - Oct. 2016 (U-18's)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 18, 2016.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Thread for all the U-18 USA matches during the Oct. 2016 Women's Int'l Cup in N. Ireland.

First match link (all matches on Youtube) USA vs England:

Second match link - USA vs France:

Third match link - USA vs N. Ireland:

jackdoggy repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 18, 2016
    USA vs England - 10/18/2016

USA Starters
    Goalkeeper: Brooke Heinsohn (1)
    Defenders: Kerry Abello (3), Sydney Dawson (5), Karlie Paschall (23), Julie Doyle (4)
    Midfielders: Sam Coffey (6), Shea Moyer (18), Arlie Jones (10)
    Forwards: Amirah Ali (25), Mireya Grey (13), Kirsten Davis (24)

England lead 1-0 at the half. Lots of long balls in the first half. England look more dangerous, and their passing was crisper.

USA tie it up 1 all within the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. USA coming out more confident in the 2nd, thus far.

England score again in the 75', now up 2-1.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 Gilmoy, Oct 18, 2016
    2016/10/18 Tue: N. Ireland's U-19 Women's International Cup
    England - USA W-18

28' 1-0 England right throw-in at 22m, #2 Lucy Parker to #11 Charlotte Devlin 1-v-1 at box top wide right. Devlin does a cloverleaf cutback past USA #24 Kirsten Davis, backpass to 27m box right, just misses(?) #8 Chloe Peplow as USA #25 Ali Amirah chips (quacks?) a bad backward clearance over box top mid-right to 13m 6-right. #23 Karlie Paschall muffs a waist-high left roundhouse clearance gently off #10 Zoe Cross's back, ball bounces down to 15m right post. #9 Rimsola Babajide steps to ball unmarked, fires knee-high one-touch left half-volley across mouth low, beats GK #1 Brooke Heinsohn's sprawl, into back left low.

49' 1-0 England long ground pass through circle center intercepted, USA delicate ping to #10 Arlie Jones backshielding at circle top -- she does well to settle-and-possess, so we're decent at that, if not yet good at not needing to settle it. Calm turn-and-survey, long diagonal chip up wide left drops in behind RB #2 Parker caught high, sends #14 Kelsey Turnbow through box left to 4m mid-left, Parker pokes over.

50' 1-1 USA left ck, #10 Jones to 7m right post, #14 Turnbow heads a fast lob to 1/4 left -- past GK #1 Alexandra Maciver's dive, off right-post defender #10 Cross's chest, drops down to 3m left post as Cross trips over Maciver. #13 Mireya Grey is unmarked thereat, one-touch left poke into 1/4 left low.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Gilmoy, Oct 18, 2016
    75' 2-1 USA fast counter past circle top right, inside-out pass blocked by ENG heels but #25 Amirah collects at 27m wide right. Speculative (and too soon?) high serve toward arc top, #5(c) Grace Fisk heads away. #14 Turnbow shields off #3 Mayumi Pacheco (how's that for a heritage :thumbsup:), #10 Jones collects at 22m arc left -- tries a quick right instep bend(?? -- from that far?) or pass to #8 Haley Berg through box top center -- but it deflects off Turnbow's heel :oops: RM #7 Chloe Kelly collects in own 1/3, looks up, longball past circle top drops perfectly over #16 Charlie Wellings' right shoulder leaning past #5 Sydney Dawson, perfect right foottop dink touch into own stride. Wellings veers to arc top center, left instep golaaaaaaaaaazo into back left high, way above Heinsohn's horizontal dive. Welp, our longball is losing to a team that does longball better than we do :notworthy:

FT 2-1. England looked equally fast and dangerous throughout, and had slightly better midfield control. Both sides just-missed several cross-to-far post connections. I thought USA were ... impatient, settling too often for medium chips into congested spaces instead of just keeping the ball.

Namdynamo, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, this is what, Japanese/South American? :p

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    What do you get when you mix a Japanese drink with a Peruvian syrup?
    You get a heck of a soccer player, with a great name. :inlove:

7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    My only consolation in that England loss was watching:
    1.) England's captain, CB Grace Fisk, who is currently a freshman starter at Penn State, and
    2.) USA's MF Shea Moyer (one of our better players), who will be at Penn State in 2017.
    :D

8. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Watched it. More pretty bad soccer. Poor first touch, skills lacking, and few original ideas. Not fun to watch. However, I think this is mostly a younger roster of kids overlooked by Snow and /or 98s still in high school. Seems like a lot of money to spend on this type of kid. Wouldn't have it been more prudent to have had another domestic camp instead? Schedule some games with u15 boys maybe? Or even spend in on an extra younger age group camp.
    Agree Moyer was better than most but, while I appreciate her largely keeping possession, I wonder if she isn't overly conservative to the point of sometimes unnecessarily slowing down the game. She played more like the #6? As an 8 or 10 (I think she was introduced as the 10 in the beginning though she seemed more like an 8 to me) I don't think she showed enough attacking instincts. She had a couple nice passes in the first half to box top right flubbed by poor first touch from the attacker, but I would hope to see more. i plan to watch again and keep more of an eye on her, but maybe she is a real up and coming kid. She has been to the recent u20 camp so she is clearly highly regarded. I also don't think there was not enough flow in the midfield which clearly wasn't all her fault.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the coach should bear the brunt of the blame (i.e., April Heinrichs).
    I appreciate her administrative efforts for the youth teams, I just don't think she should be coaching any longer.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 Gilmoy, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    2016/10/20 Thu 04:00 PDT :zzz:
    France - USA
    82' 1-3 wow :eek: Now I must binary-search a 2nd window of this stream to see the goals :laugh:

00' 0-0 Match kicks off in ... a fog. USA in dark blue (looks black), France in all-white. Stands are empty.

06' 1-0 France #4 left throw-in at 27m, down wide for _z cutting past her defender as _y cleverly came back toward ball to pull her defender out of the space. _z crosses from 8m wide left to 5m center, just over a 1-v-1 both jumping. Ball drops and richochets off _g's thighs at 4m 1/5 right as she front-cuts her defender, trickles perfectly into right side netting low. The pbp guy can't see the jersey numbers, the player couldn't see the ball coming. Could kinda tell that was France because the quick two-person weave to empty a space and run into it is ... not how we play :mad:

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Gilmoy, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    11' 1-1 The fog has retreated. France LCB #13 Julie Piga kicks to LF #19 Oceane Closset at midfield box left, one-touch backpass-and-go to LB #4 Andrea Prette at circle back left touch, quick square pass right to #6 Doriane Pau -- this local pbp guy is impressed by France's "good one-touch football" :coffee: Pau turns toward far touch, promptly quacks a dying square pass to circle back -- a 15m slow roll instead of a 35m switch. #14 Turnbow collects and counters, pokes ahead between 2 at 25m arc left and bends her run outside the in-pinching RB, overtakes her to 15m left post as GK #1 Camille Pecharman slides down at 13m. Turnbow rounds Pecharman, chases to 2m 6-left, passes ball into center back low with almost no angle left. France roll their eyes: not this again --

15' 1-1 #13 Grey quacks a bad backpass to 25m center, #9 Catherin Karadjov collects and turns to arc top(? -- bad camera angle and faint lines), diagonal pass to RF #20 Ines Boutaleb 1/2-step ahead of her defender to 6m mid-right. Boutaleb shoots low across mouth, beats Heinsohn going, off left post low, bounces across goalline past right post and beats Heinsohn coming back :p, rolls along endline right and France backpass to midfield.

23' 1-2 #8 Haley Berg snipes a pass from circle top arc right. France intercepts, forward ping to #17 Cloe Bodain at circle tangent back left, one-touch isoceles backpass to #6 Pau at circle back left, settle and pass to circle right. pbp guy lauds their "lovely one-touch football" -- just as USA press that player, she retreats from 1 but gets bumped off-and-down by #10 Arlie Jones. Jones steps forward to 35m circle left, weights a perfect ground pass toward box top left for Turnbow winning her race on the outside. Turnbow touches twice to 12m 6-left, passes across mouth under Pecharman's sprawl, into back right low. pbp guy gets another assist, every time he says "one-touch football" they make a bad touch and we score :ROFLMAO:

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    53' 1-3 USA backpass from the left, Heinsohn outlets to #23 Karlie Paschall at right touch. Paschall hoofs from circle back right touch to #9 Isabelle Briede 1-v-1 on #14 Rigonne(?) to box top right. Briede pulls up and fakes a cut inside, wrong-foots #14 for a moment, then drives down box right and gets past, cuts inside to 6-top right(?), shoots left foot past Pecharman into center back low. Lovely two-toucher :D longball!

FT 1-3. A much more energetic performance. France rue their lot: they pass like the Reign and lose to the Flash.

Namdynamo and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I forgot about this match. Will have to go back and watch it in it's entirety later today.

These matches are every 2 days, not every 3, like we are normally accustomed too.

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Next game is Sunday. Turnbow did a good job on the left wing. France were unable to compete for strength and power. They got a good lesson on what is needed to compete at international level.

Namdynamo, Airox and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Turnbow was the difference between the France game (starter) and the England game (sub). She was the difference maker out there.

Airox repped this.