Women's EURO 2017 Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Jul 16, 2017.

1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Women's_Euro_2017#Match_officials

11 referees and 21 assistants for 24 group stage matches. Germany is the only country with two (Bibiana Steinhaus, Riem Hussein). Report has it that the low number is due to some referees failing the fitness test: http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/updated-euro2017-officials/

Interestingly, Russian referee Anastasia Pustovoitova participated at the 2003 World Cup as a player. At the last World Cup we also had a North Korean referee, Ri Hyang Ok, who also played at the 2003 World Cup.

IASocFan, greek ref and Mirepo repped this.
  2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchday 1

Group A
    Netherlands - Norway: FRAPPART (FRA), KYRIAKOU (CYP), NICOLOSI (ITA), PUSTOVOITOVA (RUS)
    Denmark - Belgium: MONZUL (UKR), STRILETSKA (UKR), ARDASHEVA (UKR), CLARK (SCO)

Group B
    Italy - Russia: ADAMKOVA (CZE), RATAJOVA (CZE), SUKENIKOVA (SVK), HUSSEIN (GER)
    Germany - Sweden: KULCSAR (HUN), KULCSAR (HUN), BAKKER (NED), LEHTOVAARA (FIN)

Group C
    Austria - Switzerland: STEINHAUS (GER), MASSEY (ENG), RAFALSKI (GER), CLARK (SCO)
    France - Iceland: VITULANO (ITA), BILIC (SRB), ABRUZZESE (ITA), MONZUL (UKR)

Early big match for Kulcsar. Worth nothing that Hussein is fourth official in a match in the same group as Germany - very unlikely to happen in men's tournaments.

IASocFan and greek ref repped this.
  3. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I can't imagine that Steinhaus will be appointed to the final, so I think that the French referee is an early candidate.

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    If Germany doesn't make the final, I think Steinhaus would be the favorite!

5. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    She already had the WCL final so I can't imagine a second one.

6. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Group D

Spain - Portugal: LARSSON (SWE), IUGULESCU (ROU), GOMOESCU (ROU), KULCSÁR (HUN)
    England - Scotland: STAUBLI (SUI), BREM (SUI), RODJAK KARŠIĆ (CRO), ADÁMKOVÁ (CZE)

IASocFan and balu repped this.
  7. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Matchday 2

Netherlands - Denmark: HUSSEIN (GER), BIEHL (GER), KOUROMPYLIA (GRE), VITULANO (ITA)
    Norway - Belgium: MULARCZYK (POL), GORSKA (POL), O'NEILL (IRL), LEHTOVAARA (FIN)

IASocFan and balu repped this.
  8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Group B

Sweden - Russia: FRAPPART (FRA), NICOLOSI (FRA), KYRIAKOU (CYP), CLARK (SCO)
    Germany - Italy: MONZUL (UKR), STRILETSKA (UKR), ARDASHEVA (UKR), LEHTOVAARA (FIN)

Both trios worked the first day of the competition.

greek ref repped this.
  9. What I like about the women is that they donot moan like the men do and thus provide a far more pleasant match to manage as a referee.

10. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Group C

Iceland - Switzerland: PUSTOVOITOVA (RUS), KUROCHKINA (RUS), BILIĆ (SRB), CLARK (SCO)
    France - Austria: ADÁMKOVÁ (CZE), RATAJOVÁ (CZE), SUKENIKOVA (SVK), STEINHAUS (GER)

balu repped this.
  11. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Are these games being televised in the US?
    Are there a lot of people interested in it on this side of the pond?

PH

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has the rights and all matches are streamed on ESPN3, which answers your first question.

I imagine the fair answer to the second question is "no," but that's always relative.

DutchRef does have a treasure trove of clips from the tournament, though. Though it's changed some with NWSL, we historically lack really good instructional clips from high-level women's matches. Anyone with a need can pull a variety from his site here: https://vimeo.com/user37841445/videos

13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks! I know streaming is the TV of the future (and perhaps present and I have ROKU and FIRE) but for now most people won't bother to look for it, but may watch if it is on a regular TV broadcast channel.

PH

14. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    FWIW re first question. I stumbled across an Android app, Live Soccer TV, which lists broadcast channels of soccer around the world, including YouTube and many others. Don't know about iPhone capability.

15. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    It is available on iPhone as well. Thanks.

16. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Group D

Scotland - Portugal: KULCSÁR (HUN), KULCSÁR (HUN), BAKKER (NED), LEHTOVAARA (FIN)

England - Spain: VITULANO (ITA), ABRUZZESE (ITA), KOUROMPYLIA (GRE), MULARCZYK (POL)

balu repped this.
  17. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Matchday 3

Group A

Norway - Denmark: LARSSON (SWE), IUGULESCU (ROU), GOMOESCU (ROU), CLARK (SCO)
    Belgium - Netherlands: STEINHAUS (GER), MASSEY (ENG), RAFALSKI (GER), FRAPPART (FRA)

balu repped this.
  18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Group B

Sweden - Italy: STAUBLI (SUI), BREM (SUI), RODJAK KARSIC (CRO), LEHTOVAARA (FIN)
    Russia - Germany: MULARCZYK (POL), DABROWSKA (POL), O'NEILL (IRL), CLARK (SCO)

Big match for Mularczyk.

19. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Interesting case in ENG v ESP. A penalty was awarded after an English player slipped while trying to clear the ball from her own penalty area. As she was going to the ground, the ball struck her arm and the CR blew the whistle and pointed to the spot.

Assuming after some discussions over the headset, play resumed with a dropped ball.

IASocFan repped this.
  20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    From you description, it sounds like a good case of swallowing pride. Was the DB contested?

IASocFan repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Not a fan of the reversal at all. First I think the call was correct - where does the player slip? It looks like a clumsy attempt to clear with her arm away from her body moving up and toward the ball when contact is made. Are you going to accept a player making themselves bigger like that because they were off balance? Now I realize there is much subjectivity here, if you want to argue that is wasn't deliberate that's fine, you can make a case for that. But the bigger issue is how does a referee at that level decide that it is handling then let herself get talked into changing her mind with no new information? The answer to the classic question "Have you ever seen a ref change their call because you argue?" is now, unfortunately, yes.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  24. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Very similar to this one: Deliberate handling or not in Ruhr Derby

Except in that case the ref decided that it wasn't deliberate on the field.

We don't know if Vitulano changed her mind because of the argument from the English player, from input from her crew, or because she decided, with a little more time, that she didn't think it was deliberate. Changing it because of the players' arguments is the only problematic situation I see - where's the balance between "getting the call right is most important" and "let's turn every call into a committee meeting" (discarding a discussion of whether or not this was deliberate handling; I'm confident we'd be within a standard deviation or two of 50/50).

25. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the debriefing