Women`s Friendly International Matches 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by mcruic, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Today:
    Germany 5-0 Italy

Lusankya: Here are the Highlights.

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    OMG. Germany is SICK. They look amazing in those highlights.
    Their coach is so great though. Really knows how to develop players.

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notably Picarelli was in goal for Italy; she's their 1st-stringer; she must've flown in for the match as she's playing for the Pali Blues in W-League play this summer.

But she really had little chance on most of those goals - Italy's defense looked just terrible. They were leaving attacker unmarked left and right.

What is impressive about Germany - and this has been true for several years - is how well they shoot the ball. Hard, accurate, on frame.

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I thought that goalie wasn't grade A, good to know she's not the usual starter. but Grings should have put away about 3 more of those open shots.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picarelli is their best 'keeper. It wasn't her fault - her defense hung her out to dry - open shots all over the box. The defense in front of her was worse than useless. On the first goal, she made a great save but her own defender kicked in the rebound for an own goal.

6. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, the highlights look really good. But the first half was rather bad. On womensoccer.de there was a rage festival during the first half how fu**ing bad Krahn was and how easily the USA, Brazil, Norway, Sweden and France and Canada and Nigeria and probably Italy in a competitive match as well would have scored 3 goals on us in the first 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

But in the end even they were rather pleased with the performance. Of the young players at least.

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where's this version of Mbabi been for so long? She looks like a serious international instead of a nice bench option. Her current level of play added to the rest of the German squad, is seriously helping Germany look even more fearsome right now.

Lucky for Neid her bench is stacked with absolute game changers, because her current starting line up is seriously not getting it done.

8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really hope we see a different starting eleven in the next match on tuesday.

And I don't know why da Mbabi plays so well now. At least for the national team, she wasn't exactly a great goal scorer up until now.

9. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yesterday:

Nigeria 1-0 Czech Republic (HT 0-0) in Kössen, Austria.

Nigeria will play Austria on 8th June and Slovakia on 16th June in 2 more friendly matches in Austria.

http://www.11freunde.de/newsticker/139818

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    national team coaches do not develop players. not in the traditional sense in which we use the word "develop" in soccer.

11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    hhaha, that's funny. I guess we're all hard on our teams.

What do the german boards say about USA, it's players and chances at the WC?

(I think Silvia is one of the best coaches out there, are you guys not happy with her?)

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The general opinion is that the USA are the most likely team to beat us. They think USA and Brazil (besides Germany) have the best chances to win the cup. So nothing unusual.

There are quite some fans, usually Potsdam fans, who don't like her.
    They think she doesn't nominate players based on performance. But I guess all fans from all countries say that about their coaches. :cool:

13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I personally think Kulig and Popp looked really good. Kulig will be starting, but will Popp? Grings is great, but she often misses the easy, open shot - much like Arod on our team. And the German team does have a lot of older stikers on the team....

I think a lot of Americans are scared of some of your fast wingers as well - they could be causing a lot of trouble for many teams this WC.

What do you guys think about Morgan? Lloyd?

14. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I can't say too much about them, because I hardly have the opportunity to watch a full match involving the US team.

Of course I know veteran midfielder Lloyd. She doesn't score that many goals, but can score important ones against big teams.

Out of the US U-20 team from 2008 I always thought Leroux would be the next big thing and play the WWC 2011, however only Morgan made it. Is she still a bench player or does she start regularly?

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Next shocking result Germany 5:0 Netherlands. There will be impressive highlights again :D

16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    After winning the 08' golden ball and boot Leroux didn't even get a call up to camp. She only got called up in the last 6 months and has only been cap'd once. It's unfortunate. Morgan was brought on in the last year only and has proven to be very savvy and a great nose for the goal...pia won't give her starting looks though and has resigned her to a sub role....

17. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Also today:

Hungary 0-1 Canada. Canada scoring just 3 minutes from the end.

A few days ago, USA also struggled to beat Mexico 1-0 at home, with an injury time goal ensuring their send off didn't end badly.

18. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The score-line may make it look deceiving though. Finishing was definitely off for the US but they did outshoot Mexico 34-4 and the young Mexican keeper made some incredible saves.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwgT_8uZ3Bc"]YouTube - ‪Germany vs. The Netherlands - 2011 World Cup warm-up game‬‏[/ame]

Impressing indeed. To win the tournament you got to beat Germany.

20. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, it's only the netherlands, they didn't even prepare for the WWC.
    First real test will be Norway.

21. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Nigeria came back from a goal down at half-time to draw their friendly match 1-1 with Austria today in Leogang. It doesn't look like they're going to cause too many problems to anyone at the World Cup. They seem to be on a similar level to Europe's middle-ranked teams judging by this result and their 1-0 win over the Czech Republic a few days ago. They've got one match left against a weaker team (Slovakia), so maybe they'll get a good confidence-boosting win in that match.

22. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, Nigeria aren't really impressive. I am wondering why so many Nigerian fans (I only know the ones who write in the commentary section on FIFA.com) are so confident? :confused:

23. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I blame the media and the coaches. They instil a sense of false belief in the people who read the news in these countries. African news is notorious for headlines such as "Eagles DRUB Congo 1-0", "Nigeria THRASHES Ghana 1-0", and I must admit that outside of Africa, South Asian newspapers do the same - always overstating victories and giving column space to coaches and Football Federation officials who like to talk like their team are world champions.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They seem very confident indeed, players and coaches.

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    isn't this par for the course?

i would be surprised if any team/coach going into a tournament is not confident.